5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me excellent peace of mind
I am due to give birth in 2 weeks and have read this all the way through once and I am now reading through the labour stage sections for a second time.

Published on 9 Jan 2012 by J. Clutten

2.0 out of 5 stars An unrealistic view of birth
This book is very much along the lines of the NCT school of thought; basically the theory that almost every birth can be a natural and enjoyable birth providing you go into it with the right mindset and remain calm and relaxed about it, and that in the pursuit of this you should surround yourself with positive birth stories and experiences. Let me explain what happened to...
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me excellent peace of mind, 9 Jan 2012
J. Clutten "slow reader" (Lewisham-UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Birth Companion: A Practical Guide to Having the Best Labour and Birth (Paperback)

I was a quivering wreck after my first antenatal class, feeling incredibly nervous and unprepared. The next day I went out to a local bookshop and purchased this book. Within just a few pages it managed to calm me and has made me believe that I will be able to be in control and as far as is possible have the natural birth I want.

I would recommend this to anyone who is due to give birth. I assumed I'd need to read lots and lots of books to give me that peace of mind but I have only ready this one and don't have any unanswered questions. It is a very honest book which is easy to read and doesn't assume anything about each expecting mother. Nor does it pressurise the reader in to a particular kind of birth.

I cannot recommend it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Birth Companion: essential read, 22 Sep 2011
Having been through different birthing situations, I found this book completely enlightening. I wish I had had on my bedside table before.... it is extremely helpful and easy to read, giving a well thought out and practical view of how your birth could and should be - with the right attitude and understanding of the way that our bodies work. BUY IT - you won't regret it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great companion, 14 Jan 2014
Easy to read and understand. The Good birth companion provides an excellent point of reference for pregnancy. The only reason for not giving this book five stars is I would like to reflect on how effective some of the advice given, truly is after I have had the experience of delivery and the first few weeks/months of motherhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book to help you prepare for Labour and Birth, 9 Jan 2014
I have almost finished reading this book and have been unable to put it down since it arrived. It has lots of useful information and has really got me thinking about what type of birth I would like and how I can use different methods to cope when I am in labour. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with my first and this book has really prepared me for some of the events that may happen during my labour. It is informative and written in a way that makes you feel comfortable and at ease even when it talks about some of the more nitty gritty parts of labour and birth. The only reason I am not giving the book a rating of 5 is because it very much promotes active labour and a natural birth and sometimes this isn't always an option. Although it does cover a section about intervention and when intervention may be necessary I think it would be more useful if they went into a bit more detail about why these may be needed and how you can expect to feel afterwards (for example when a forceps delivery might be needed and how it will affect you and the baby after the birth).

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete guide, 24 Nov 2013
This book taught me all that I was looking to learn, as well of lots of extra things that I needed to know about childbirth and beyond. It's so easy to read and has a friendly tone, yet is also incredibly knowledgeable around the science of childbirth - it was really fascinating at times. Education helps to reduce fear of the unknown, I think, and this book definitely did that for me. A really great read - so glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read before your first pregancy and again before any other, 8 May 2011
I had read quite extensively before the birth of my first child, but really wanted to read something while I was pregnant for the second time to help with some anxiety I was feeling, and to build up my momentum to give birth again.

The Good Birth Companion was the ideal book. In some ways it felt familiar, not only because I had given birth before, but because of the way it was written. I literally felt that Nicole Croft was chatting to me about birth in a very comforting and unbiased way. It is written with a knowing smile, by which I mean it feels positive and reassuring, almost as a mother would be if she were speaking to her child.

The content is extensive and satisfactorily covers many questions that a pregnant mother may have, as well as imparting some pearls of wisdom through personal experience or beliefs, and using visuals or examples that one can easily relate to.

I like the fact it is called the 'Companion Guide', because that is what it is, a friend to you during your pregnancy and the early stages of motherhood. Keep it close it will comfort you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best birthing book EVER!, 6 Jun 2011
I couldn't recommend this book highly enough. I found it especially good at making me feel more at ease as knowledge is indeed power. Not only does it explain the birthing process but it is packed full of handy labour coping techniques and information that I hadn't found in many other birthing books. It helped me to understand the importance of being in tune with body and mind for aiming towards a birth free from pain relief medication. It really is incredible what your body can do and this book helps you to realise this. Very informative and relaxed, I felt like I had a friend sat next to me helping me along the way and ended up with a very positive and happy experience in a birthing pool.

4.0 out of 5 stars a decent book, but with flaws, 4 Sep 2014
In general this is a great book with lots of practical info and psychological advice to get you through the birthing process. The only reason I am giving it four instead of five stars is that the author for some bizarre reason blames "feminism" for the rise in posterior fetal positioning (which makes labor longer and harder and more likely to lead to interventions). The reasons babies turn posterior mainly have to do with the mother's posture and activity levels, which are linked much more closely to a postindustrial sedentary lifestyle (sitting back in front of the tv or in comfy office chairs) than to the political emancipations of feminism. Women are still doing the majority of the housework etc that the author claims help to turn the baby anterior (ie into a more optimal position) so blaming the rise in less-than-optimal fetal positioning on feminism is unsupported by evidence and just absurd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me get over fear of giving birth, 5 Jan 2014
I used to be terrified of givng birth until I read this book. For me it worked kind of like a pep talk. You can read my whole review of the book here: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 13 Nov 2013
For a first time mother to be this has been a brilliant read, lots of helpful info and written in a very simple language.

The Good Birth Companion: A Practical Guide to Having the Best Labour and Birth