4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to get started
Published on 4 Dec. 2012 by Chapman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good meal ideas
Published on 1 Feb. 2011 by Victoria M

3.0 out of 5 stars Good meal ideas, 1 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Baby-led Weaning Cookbook: Over 130 delicious recipes for the whole family to enjoy (Hardcover)
I bought this book on recommendation as I am planning to try baby-led weaning with my baby. I know the idea is that the baby can join in with suitably adapted family meals but I was looking for inspiration on the kind of things that could work and I think this book provides it. My baby isn't eating yet but the recipes look good and I have tried the Spanish apple cake (made with olive oil rather than butter) which looked a bit strange when I made it but is actually very tasty!

Edited later: I have now made a number of meals from this cookbook and while I still agree that the ideas and inspiration are good I have found that some of the recipes don't 'work' very well and I wonder if they haven't been as thoroughly tested as recipes from other cookbooks I own. I would still buy the book but trial the recipes before making for your baby and/or use as inspiration to adapt recipes from other sources. I have lowered my rating from 4 stars to 3 stars as a consequence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to get started, 4 Dec. 2012
I bought this book as I wasn't sure what would be the best foods to feed my baby once she started weaning after getting conflicted advice from HV etc. I bought this book due to my daughter wanting to feed herself rather than be spoon fed (she is very independent!) and based on reviews I got this one. It is a really useful book starting off introducing baby led weaning and foods to avoid or buy more of leading onto the recipes. The recipes are simple and straight forward and really helped me to form a foundation of what I could give my little girl to work up from. The recipes are quick to make and tasty (so far!). The best bit is that the majority can be batch made and frozen for later use which is really going to be useful when I go back to work.

The reason for 4 stars not 5 is that it could do with having more recipes in it, for example there are really only about 2 breakfast recipes with the rest being yoghurt with fruit or toast etc. which you don't really need recipes for.

Great book for a starting point at weaning but you will use up all the recipes quickly

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed, but still useful, 13 Nov. 2011
I'm a big fan of baby-led weaning but was a bit disappointed with the recipes in this book. They tended to be 'ok' rather than 'good' and there were some recipes that were definite misses. I ended up using the book for inspiration of the sort of thing that might work with a baby and finding better recipes for similar things elsewhere rather than using the recipes themselves. However if you are doing baby-led weaning I think the book is worth getting for the ideas alone anyway. If you are after good recipes to use for baby led weaning, I'd recommend the River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook instead (and dare I say it some of the Annabel Karmel books!).

I think the book could have been better organised for the early stages of baby-led weaning when your baby will have problems holding or chewing lots of things. I found it quite hard in the early days to find recipes which would be manageable. I think it'd have been nice if there had been a special section with ideas for the first two or three months, because after that your baby can eat pretty much anything anyway and you only really need recipes that don't have too much salt, any inappropriate ingredients etc. I'd also have liked a list somewhere of the recipes in the book that are really quick to make for when you are in a rush. It'd also have been nice to see an example menu plan for a week - I know the idea of baby led weaning is that it is meant to be flexible but my sleep-deprived brain could have done with a bit more hand-holding (and I had a baby who ate with gusto right from the word go so didn't feel I could just fob him off with a few rice cakes or steamed veg!). I felt like this book, although useful, was a bit of a missed opportunity.

I should add that one nice thing about the book is that his has a nice fairly concise explanation of baby led weaning. I had read the Baby Led Weaning book so didn't really need that, but it was useful for my husband who I don't think would have read the main book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life!, 27 Feb. 2011
I started out with the Annabel Karmel books at 6 months and was progressing along, although never quite knowing if I was making the food too lumpy, too smooth etc and spent ages making up batches of food. Then it was all thrown in the air when my Health Visitor said we should be sitting down with our baby once a day and for her to eat what we're eating. It added an extra stress as I now had to try and coordinate dinner ready for when my husband came home for us to eat early with my daughter at 5.30pm whilst also trying to look after her at the same time, and I never really knew how to approach it, what to make that we could all eat etc. My baby then started to refuse foods she used to eat. Then along came this book. As soon as I started reading it it gave me so much confidence and to have more belief in what my daughter is capable of. It contains lots of practical tips about what shape to cut food, whether to leave skins on etc, what texture they're able to manage and pick up at different developmental stages. It then breaks down recipes into categories of breakfast (which I was always struggled with since my baby refused porridge and fruit, but would eat toast and fromage frais), light lunches, and then meat/fish/veg dishes etc. Since using this book, I feel more confident, relaxed and as a result a happier mummy! The recipes are the kind of things we would eat anyway, so you don't need lots of different ingredients. And they're not bland recipes, they use spices and herbs which the AK books are a bit more cautious on, and they're really tasty too. In the two weeks since I've had this book my daughter has come on leaps and bounds and mealtimes are no longer a battleground. And the best part of it all is that my daughter is loving it! Lasagne, lamb tagine, chicken risotto, banana pancakes, jacket potatoes, she loves them all and loves exploring the food by feeding herself. And will now also eat from the spoon better too. It's incredibly messy though so I would advise a long sleeved bib or two. And it takes longer but it means you can be pottering and cleaning up whilst she eats... And your kitchen floor will never be so clean!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 21 Nov. 2010
I really like this book. It has good recipe ideas for each meal, and though it lacks pictures I feel it is a colourful and inspiring book for this method of weaning. The first few chapters summarise her other book on BLW, so if you just want to get the basic idea, this is all you need. (I'd recommend the other book if you want a more in-depth explanation of BLW, it's benefits and why it works etc.). Their emphasis has always been on getting your baby to eat what you eat and the recipes reflect that. There is a good section which explains the skills your baby will develop and at what age, and you can use this as a reference to plan what foods to give your baby. - From this she makes suggestions as to what they can manage easily and what foods you can give to challenge them (it's best to give a mixture of both). There is an emphasis in BLW to follow your baby, as they will all develop at different rates and I think this is why there is no 'week by week' guide as that would contradict this. For example my daughter has been able to eat roasted vegetable sticks competently since day one (at 5 and a half months), whilst I know other babies who have taken up to 2 months from starting to reach this stage.
The recipes are all healthy, and give good recipes for basics without using salt or sugar, which you don't find elsewhere (even annabel karmel toddler/finger foods usually have sugar or syrup in). I think this is a really nice 'annabel karmel' style book for BLW, which will really inspire you to use this method of weaning and how to adapt your normal diet to enable that.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK., 31 Dec. 2014
Some good ones in here: we do the drop scones often for breakfast, and the dahl... others (eg the tuna croquettes) need a bit of tweaking otherwise rather dry... Functional feeling book - not exactly a joy to delve into, but gives you ideas at least. Someone has since told me about a website called Little Grazers, which I tend to find more appealing.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant healthy low salt and low sugar recipes, 4 April 2012
We have now had this book for a year and it has been invaluable. The recipes aren't anything groundbreaking but what is brilliant is that they have lots of flavour without having salt and sugar added so as adults who previously ate a lot of salt it has been a fairly easy transition into having meals that our little one can join in with. Some of the recipes have become real family favourites and we are now all eating much healthier. The recipes arent anything different to your average cookbook and yes some things do seem a little obvious but as a new mum its always good to have suggestions that you might not have thought of yourself, things that maybe you dont normally eat.

As for the instructions I can only conclude that they must be easy to follow as my hubby who has NEVER, honestly never, before cooked has managed to do the bolognese, risotto and stir frys.

Would I buy it again? yes. Would I recommend to friends? already have done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives you the Confidence to Go For Real Food!, 8 Feb. 2012
I knew that baby-led weaning was common sense but it wasn't until I read this book that I really went for it. The book is easy to read, logical and the recipes give you the confidence to know what is a good meal for a baby. Not only that but much to my surprise it is now the most used cookbook in our house as the recipes are delicious and tasty, they are meals we all enjoy.

My son is doing very well indeed now he eats all the meals we eat. Friends who were wary are still struggling with purees. It's hard and I understand why people are reticient but trust your instincts and your baby and use the book as a guide. The gagging lasted only a few days and it clearly taught my son that he needed to chew as days later he was chewing and swallowing more.

I'm so glad I bought this book, friends have asked for the recipes for our meals and my son is eating a very varied and interesting diet. A big thank you to the Gill for doing some fantastic research!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby led weaning, 12 May 2011
This is a brilliant concept for weaning your little ones. I started weaning my daughter the conventional way at 6months and she wasn't very keen on the pureed stuff, my friend introduced me to this book and I have to say it is absolutely brilliant! My daughter sits in her high chair at the dinner table with the rest of the family and happily feeds herself and enjoys the social interaction.

The book has an introduction to Baby-led weaning at the beginning and then the recipes start, loads of them, covering breakfast, lunch, dinner and deserts. The recipes are easy to follow and range from simple lunchtime snacks such as cheese and tomato on toast or eggy bread to delicious evening meals, Thai curries, morocain dishes, vegetarian meals etc etc. Just reading the ingredients in the recipes gives you the confidence to then try out your own favourite meals.

This really is a great buy and I am so glad my friend suggested it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for BLW babies and mummies!, 22 Oct. 2012
I bought the original baby-led weaning book when my baby was around 3 months when I found out about baby-led weaning. I read it and absolutely LOVED the idea - makes so much more sense to me to feed your baby "normal" food that I would eat! After reading the original i HAD to buy this and Im very happy with it, one month after the weaning started.

It's pretty good because there is an introduction to the theory of BLW, quite short and precise. If you dont like to devour books and info (like me), i would suggest you just buy this one and not the original theory one, as you almost get all the info you need here.

I have tried a couple of recipes thus far, I use it a lot for inspiration too, but I am only at the beginning of BLW. I do think that most of the recipes are for slightly older babies, and will be using it more in the months to come.

Overall, an essential buy for BLW