on 29 July 2011
I have had Crohns Dease for 11years & this is by far the most informative book on the subject that I have read. It is written by somebody who not only knows what he is talking about but, also understands how to put it over so that anybody who suffers from the dease can understand what he means. I would recomend it to both suffers & the medical profession.
on 20 September 2012
This book changed my daughters life. Diagnosed with Crohns at 18 and guided along the usual path of steroids then inflixamab infusions for a couple of years, she found this book, started the diet and has been pain and medication free now for two years. She looks and feels great! Give it a go, you have nothing to lose and a bowel to keep!
on 15 March 2011
I was recently diagnosed as having Crohn's disease. In many ways it was a relief to get a diagnosis after struggling with the symptoms for a fair while (I had been fobbed off, as many have, by doctors telling me I had IBS - Professor John Hunter's excellent book on IBS helped me to identify that it definitely wasn't that and gave me the knowledge to fight for the tests to get a proper diagnosis) but then the fun of trying to get it under control begins.

I have a very nice gastro-enterologist but his clinics are always packed and the time isn't there for him to sit down and give me in depth explanations or to go through every option for treatment. It is often a case of go in, list how my symptoms are going and he evaluates what he thinks is the best way to go with treatment.

This wasn't enough for me though. I felt that the more knowledge the better and I was sure that there were lifestyle changes I could make to improve on my condition that would help lessen the need for steroids and other intensive treatments.

I have found that this book is easy to read, easy to understand and packed with all the information I could hope for. It goes through what is known about the condition and the treatments available in great depth. I was greatly relived to find that dietary measures could have a great impact and there is comprehensive information on how to go about implementing these measures.

It is a book that supplements the information given by your consultant, filling in any gaps and either reassuring or pointing out when further discussions are needed. It explains the drugs you are on and why you are on them. It explains any tests you may need and why certain decisions may be made.

It has been exceedingly helpful for me and I would recommend it to anyone who has been diagnosed with IBD and is looking to widen their knowledge on what it is all about and what they can do about it. I feel equipped to tackle my condition and can be much more proactive in my treatment, I will certainly be discussing it with my gastroenterologist when I next see him.
on 1 March 2015
Do you have Crohn's disease? Have you failed the medications, or are they simply not working? Then treat your Crohn's disease using diet.

I rarely leave reviews but Professor Hunter is truly an authority on all things 'gut'. Never before have I read a logical, pertinent yet succinct discussion on how to manage life with IBD.

The difference with this book is that it outlines the LOFFLEX dietary treatment of Crohn's (not UC). The basis of this is that by depriving bacteria of food residues, the immune attack ceases. So, after following an elemental diet, you proceed to do a gradual reintroduction of foods to see which one provoke symptoms.

I know the advisors at Crohn's Colitis UK (CCUK) use it for reference, and in my opinion, this book should be given out to everyone when they are diagnosed.

If you have Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, or any other form of IBD, this book is a must-read.
on 6 January 2014
I have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Since my diagnosis I have been taking snippets of advice from well meaning family members and the internet. What I wish Id done... is buy this book instead!
To start with... It is recent (Published in 2010) and the author seems to be at the top of the tree (Recognised authority on IBD and works at Addenbrooke`s hospital)
My story is... I've recently been through an.... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh period!
What am I going to do? What should I eat? I know... Ill go on-line (Google knows everything!)I now know I wasted my time. I've had so much conflicting advice my head has been spinning. For the first time in just over a month... I feel well informed.
It has finally sunk in. I know what to do. I know the questions to ask and most importantly of all... I feel as though I know what the future holds!!
This book is in plain English and is easy to read. It is not War and Peace and can be easily and quickly read. This is now my book of reference until I have a deeper understanding of my new life with IBD

And lastly... As soon as I finished this book... I flipped it over and started again:)
on 30 April 2014
Excellent information written in a way that is easy to understand. Up to date scientific information, not some crank with a quick fix.I would highly recommend it to anyone with IBF.
on 8 June 2011
Having recently been diagnosed with Crohns disease I found this book easy to digest, with pretty clear explanations of drugs and treatment regimes. It helped me to understand how my symptoms had developed and I think I will be using it to check out other symptoms I am likely to experience as time goes on! His views about diet are interesting and helpful, although not all consultants (including my own) feel that diet has any part to play in the management of this disease.
on 22 March 2011
This is an excellent book on the subject. It is clear concise and in everyday language. Gives very good advice to all sufferers, and has been of immense help to my wife who has the complaint.
on 4 November 2011
Having read John Hunter's book on IBS (which it turns out I don't have), I didn't hesitate to buy his book on IBD. It is clear, well written, reassuring, informative and covers everything I wanted to know both about Crohn's and about the extra-intestinal problems that can also be a real worry. It also explains about treatment options, diets and ongoing research. It left me feeling very positive and well informed. The more understanding I have of the disease, the more in control I feel. I highly recommend this book.
on 19 September 2012
This is a must read by all who have CD or UC. It sets out clearly what the disease is and theories on its causes and different treatments. It heavily endorses that it is best to control CD with diet and reports on its successful use. It also encourages sufferers to work with their GP's/Consultants at jointly managing the condition, an approach rarely advocated by Healthcare professionals.