`Banish Clutter Forever - How The Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life'

Published on 4 Mar. 2010 by J. Picknell

3.0 out of 5 stars helpful insights
Easy to read, although a bit chatty in places. I do feel that the author makes a good connection with people who hate routine and makes great suggestions in how to overcome that. I'm already starting to think differently. I just need to take action now. I only gave 3 stars as I am a visual person and feel it needed some images, before and after pics or even cartoons to...
Published 14 months ago by Min

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book on keeping your life, your home, your business and your thoughts free from clutter!, 4 Mar. 2010
J. Picknell "Julie Picknell" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life (Paperback)
`Banish Clutter Forever - How The Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life'

This is so much more than a book about de-cluttering your living space. It's also a self-help book, one that helps you face and deal with any mess there may be in your life as well as your home. It shows how steps taken to improve our living space can lead to a more smoothly run home and life. Once you understand the system - based on the principle that if you can find your toothbrush you can find anything - you're away, with helpful advice regarding the two principle concepts of Zoning and Completion.

The book also looks at why we collect clutter, as well as deeper issues such as debt management. Emotional issues are dealt with, looking at the role clutter accumulated from the past plays on our present, and whether keeping these items brings us happiness. The realisation that some items I had kept from the past brought me sadness helped me give them away and this was a positive clearing experience.

I found the tips on using `sub-bags' (Chapter 8) very useful and now incorporate these into my daily life. Instead of having a huge handbag overflowing in chaos, I now have `sub-bags' inside and everything within each one is grouped logically, making it easier to find each item. You can adapt any of the ideas here to suit your own needs. For instance I now have several `sub-bags' for travelling away from home. They are all ready packed for a speedy get-away and being in clear bags they are perfect for passing through customs with ease. The general advice in this chapter on keeping your wardrobe and make-up orderly once you have de-cluttered is also very useful.

If you work from home, or are considering working from home, you will benefit from reading the chapters on Home Office (Chapters 11 and 12) that are full of great ideas and suggestions and will save you hours, not to mention stress! The virtual in-trays - @ACTION, @PENDING - are genius and something I hadn't come across. This has helped in streamlining my business emails.

This book came at just the right moment as I needed to de-clutter in earnest ready to move house. For this purpose I highly recommend it!

All through this book your thoughts on order versus chaos, productivity versus procrastination are challenged. By rising to these challenges you will see how your life can shift forward, in a positive direction, many times over.

You'll have this book on your bookcase and dip in for reference again and again. Billed as a book on de-cluttering, it's more about a way of life. An inspiring read that will leave you longing for the weekend so you can get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a "clear your clutter" book, 3 Mar. 2010
This book is packed with down-to-earth advice on how to create a more harmonious, organised lifestyle. I would particularly recommend it to anybody who seriously wants to find a simple step-by step system to fundamentally change their home environment for the better.
Ms Chandra has written an easy to follow book in a friendly non-preaching tone which is positive and motivating. Using the simple principle that most of us know where to find our toothbrush; (as teeth cleaning is generally a firmly embedded habit) the reader is taken on a tour of the home with a view to applying this system - a place for everything and everything in it's place.
Read the whole book through first to give yourself a good overview of the system then go for it! You won't look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Banish Clutter Forever, 21 Oct. 2012
This book has had a real impact on my attitude to housework and my ability to cope with it. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent woman but was born untidy! How friends, colleagues and family members could have immaculate houses, no matter what time of day you called, was a mystery to me. I felt I must be missing a vital gene. Sheila Chandra's book speaks to me like a kindly grandmother, explaining clearly what I need to do and chiding me into doing it. Her emphasis is on time-saving, to allow you more time to do the things you really enjoy. I have never felt such satisfaction in clearing out drawers - and believe me, I have read a lot of books and articles about clearing out drawers. I can now make snap decisions about where things should go and realise that I don't have to allocate huge chunks of time to clear up mine and the family's mess.
This book is not a quick fix - it's a lifestyle change. If you're weighed down with the burden of untidiness (either your own or others in the family) then get this book. It's a lifesaver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spring is getting nearer, 26 Feb. 2013
Never was a better time to read this book. Yes, of course a lot of it is common sense but somehow seeing the suggestions in black and white seems to give you the kick start you need. Just start with one room at a time otherwise you're on a hiding to nothing. I enjoyed reading the book from cover to cover and then using it as a reference point. Decluttering shouldn't be viewed as the most enjoyable pastime but you are going to feel so much better when you stand at the door of a room recently sorted - positively euphoric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical advice., 16 Sept. 2012
Having read many de-cluttering books in my quest to rid myself of mountains of 'stuff' I am coming to the opinion that there are many 'flavours' of de-cluttering book, to suit different personalities of de-clutterer. That is to say, what makes sense and is effective for one person seems like empty sales-pitching to another.
This one worked for me: her advice is practical, modular (in other words, can be used for one area or a whole house,) step-by-step and effective; it seems to relate to MY reasons for having accumulated clutter in the first place AND effectively proscribe ways to clear it. She does not expect us to complete the task all at once, and has written the book to be used, in places, as if one were taking the advice of a friend or observer as one goes about the task of putting right the wrongs, reading page by page to understand what one needs and what one can let go.
My heart broke when she told us of the locked room that was never explored, and of how she moved and was expecting better things, but ended up in the same situation without even a room of her own. The fact that she has come from this to what we imagine is a heaven of clarity and functionality is inspiring; the fact that her method appears to work (I now have a clutter-free bathroom, a nearly-empty cupboard-under-the-stairs awaiting storage items, and am making headway in my bedroom) gives me hope that I have, finally, found a saviour to follow in my quest for an uncluttered home; thank you, Ms Chandra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Banish clutter forever: How The Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life, 7 Mar. 2010
S. Fraser (Somerset) - See all my reviews
At last....I have the missing piece of the jigsaw! I've read the books on de cluttering, understood why I would love to stay clutter free. But this is the ONLY BOOK that has taught me how to do it and keep it that way. (It has a step by step guide that even I can follow) My house is now well on its way to becoming the home I have always wanted, and this time I am armed with the knowledge of how to keep it that way. Thank you Sheila

5.0 out of 5 stars It *did* change my life, yes, really, honestly, 4 Dec. 2010
It took an artist (excellent one too) to get through to me on the subject of how to keep domestic order. I thought there was a secret no-one was telling me -- turns out there was, and she calls it the 'Toothbrush Principle'. I must admit I didn't do all the exercises she gives, and you don't need to once you have the idea. I did go round my home, though, and realized that what worked was, without exception, stuff that already obeyed the principle. It was a real underlying truth about organization. I gradually transformed everything using this one idea, which is so simple. It's like having the secret the tidy people never taught you.

If you are like I was, finding tidiness a question of look and 'neat piles', this book is for you. Tidiness is actually about an easier existence in harmony with your surroundings, where things are in the right spot because there's nowhere else you'd rather have them and nowhere easier for them to go. A snap once you get it... it became a joy and privilege for me to alter my habitat. So simple, so effective. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars For me better than 'no more clutter', 22 July 2011
Reading the reviews of this book and 'no more clutter' I couldn't decide which to buy, so tried both. The writer of this book has a fairly bossy tone but if you are OK with that, the tips work and I think translate into action more easily than the more generic approach used in 'no more clutter'. I bought this book because we were moving house and I wanted to start the new place with a less cluttered approach. The surprising by-product was that actually this book has also tranformed the way I deal with email at work - solving the problem I had with forgetting about emails that dropped off my the bottom of my inbox screen (even when flagged).

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it - you won't regret it!, 22 Aug. 2013
Brilliant book - got me motivated immediately and I have sorted out so many things in so many places in my house and .... my handbag!! in such a short space of time. I wish I had come across this book long ago, it has done wonders for my procrastination! It does not fill you with jargon just excellent straight forward easy to follow guiding steps. Well deserved 5 stars. Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best books I have ever read, so happy I found it, I feel I have a friend for life!, 4 Mar. 2012
This book is simply AMAZING!!!!

I have several clutter clearing books, all of which are good, but nothing like this one, this takes everything to a whole new level, and a much better one too!

I came across this book whilst looking for my first ever kindle book, as I was lucky to receive a Kindle for my birthday last month, and all I can say is WOW!

This book is simple like no other clutter clearing book I have ever read, and boy, I have read a few!

It's hard to explain, but I feel I have found a special friend who is firm but kind, gives you the best trusted advise and the nudge you need to help clear your clutter, and the even bigger nudge you need to keep going!

Shelia makes you think about things in a whole new light, but in a very constructive and helpful way, it feels like you have a good friend guilding you through each step of the way, when sometimes things can seem a little overwhelming when trying to face it on your own.

I can't believe this is Shelia's first book, it is so well written, and simply a joy to read, I couldn't put it down.

KEY FEATURES I LOVE ABOUT THIS BOOK...

1. So well written, and a joy to read.

2. Easy to follow advise, taking things in easy to follow steps.

3. Zoning, which makes perfect sense and makes life so much easier on yourself!

4. Storage, and how to use it.

5. How to organise paperwork in such a easy, simply and workable way, which really does WORK!!!

6. How to simplify my wardrobe, which makes life so much easier, it makes you see clearly what you have and need, value the things that you do have, and makes shopping for what you really need, so much easier.

7. Sheila's simple but firm approach to dealing with everyday clutter, how to keep on top of things, and how having a HUGE big clear out, simply doesn't work. This is an ongoing process, but it becomes easier and easier :)

I am not a hoarder, but mearly someone to struggles on a day to day basis with family clutter, two kids, husband, pets and day to day life, so there is always a little disorder.

I love the calm feeling or being organised and having clear spaces and knowing where to find things.
I have stived for years to become that person, but this often resulted in huge clear outs, which despite my efforts, never seemed to resolve the problem.

This book as changed things completely, I feel I have finally found the key to knowing the secret in how "other" people always seem to have a tidy and well organised home, Sheila has shown me the way. Thank you Sheila, from the bottom of my boots!

I am working through each step and and finding real success, and yes, it is getting easier!
I feel I have you, and your book to help me through it, and know that if ever I need your helpful advise along the way, I simple have to dip into your book, and you will be there to guild me through. Thank you Sheila!

Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life