`Banish Clutter Forever - How The Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life'

Published on 4 Mar 2010 by J. Picknell

3.0 out of 5 stars helpful insights
Easy to read, although a bit chatty in places. I do feel that the author makes a good connection with people who hate routine and makes great suggestions in how to overcome that. I'm already starting to think differently. I just need to take action now. I only gave 3 stars as I am a visual person and feel it needed some images, before and after pics or even cartoons to...
Published 5 months ago by Min

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book on keeping your life, your home, your business and your thoughts free from clutter!, 4 Mar 2010
J. Picknell "Julie Picknell" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life (Paperback)
`Banish Clutter Forever - How The Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life'

This is so much more than a book about de-cluttering your living space. It's also a self-help book, one that helps you face and deal with any mess there may be in your life as well as your home. It shows how steps taken to improve our living space can lead to a more smoothly run home and life. Once you understand the system - based on the principle that if you can find your toothbrush you can find anything - you're away, with helpful advice regarding the two principle concepts of Zoning and Completion.

The book also looks at why we collect clutter, as well as deeper issues such as debt management. Emotional issues are dealt with, looking at the role clutter accumulated from the past plays on our present, and whether keeping these items brings us happiness. The realisation that some items I had kept from the past brought me sadness helped me give them away and this was a positive clearing experience.

I found the tips on using `sub-bags' (Chapter 8) very useful and now incorporate these into my daily life. Instead of having a huge handbag overflowing in chaos, I now have `sub-bags' inside and everything within each one is grouped logically, making it easier to find each item. You can adapt any of the ideas here to suit your own needs. For instance I now have several `sub-bags' for travelling away from home. They are all ready packed for a speedy get-away and being in clear bags they are perfect for passing through customs with ease. The general advice in this chapter on keeping your wardrobe and make-up orderly once you have de-cluttered is also very useful.

If you work from home, or are considering working from home, you will benefit from reading the chapters on Home Office (Chapters 11 and 12) that are full of great ideas and suggestions and will save you hours, not to mention stress! The virtual in-trays - @ACTION, @PENDING - are genius and something I hadn't come across. This has helped in streamlining my business emails.

This book came at just the right moment as I needed to de-clutter in earnest ready to move house. For this purpose I highly recommend it!

All through this book your thoughts on order versus chaos, productivity versus procrastination are challenged. By rising to these challenges you will see how your life can shift forward, in a positive direction, many times over.

You'll have this book on your bookcase and dip in for reference again and again. Billed as a book on de-cluttering, it's more about a way of life. An inspiring read that will leave you longing for the weekend so you can get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Banish Clutter Forever, 21 Oct 2012
This book has had a real impact on my attitude to housework and my ability to cope with it. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent woman but was born untidy! How friends, colleagues and family members could have immaculate houses, no matter what time of day you called, was a mystery to me. I felt I must be missing a vital gene. Sheila Chandra's book speaks to me like a kindly grandmother, explaining clearly what I need to do and chiding me into doing it. Her emphasis is on time-saving, to allow you more time to do the things you really enjoy. I have never felt such satisfaction in clearing out drawers - and believe me, I have read a lot of books and articles about clearing out drawers. I can now make snap decisions about where things should go and realise that I don't have to allocate huge chunks of time to clear up mine and the family's mess.
This book is not a quick fix - it's a lifestyle change. If you're weighed down with the burden of untidiness (either your own or others in the family) then get this book. It's a lifesaver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Banish clutter forever: How The Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life, 7 Mar 2010
S. Fraser (Somerset) - See all my reviews
At last....I have the missing piece of the jigsaw! I've read the books on de cluttering, understood why I would love to stay clutter free. But this is the ONLY BOOK that has taught me how to do it and keep it that way. (It has a step by step guide that even I can follow) My house is now well on its way to becoming the home I have always wanted, and this time I am armed with the knowledge of how to keep it that way. Thank you Sheila

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change you, 17 Oct 2012
I love this book!!! I had reached the end of my tether with my cluttered, messy flat and bought this book to help me with my clear-out. The author is spot on at picking out the excuses we all use to avoid throwing something out 'But I'll wear it when I lose 10lbs!' and urges you to think realistically about whether you are actually going to use an item and if it betters your life in any way.
The book covers everything, from clearing out your wardrobe to implementing a more efficient filing system in the 'Home Office' section. I don't work from home but still found the tips very useful to bear in mind at work.
I've used the 'Toothbrush Principle' (that you don't lose your toothbrush because you keep it next to the sink, where you use it, then you put it back!) to re-organize my kitchen cupboards and will continue to use it whilst sorting out the rest of my house. This book has taught me not only how get rid of unused clutter but how to maintain a tidy home and lifestyle with minimum effort. A cluttered desk = a cluttered mind couldn't be more true!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a "clear your clutter" book, 3 Mar 2010
This book is packed with down-to-earth advice on how to create a more harmonious, organised lifestyle. I would particularly recommend it to anybody who seriously wants to find a simple step-by step system to fundamentally change their home environment for the better.
Ms Chandra has written an easy to follow book in a friendly non-preaching tone which is positive and motivating. Using the simple principle that most of us know where to find our toothbrush; (as teeth cleaning is generally a firmly embedded habit) the reader is taken on a tour of the home with a view to applying this system - a place for everything and everything in it's place.
Read the whole book through first to give yourself a good overview of the system then go for it! You won't look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars It *did* change my life, yes, really, honestly, 4 Dec 2010
It took an artist (excellent one too) to get through to me on the subject of how to keep domestic order. I thought there was a secret no-one was telling me -- turns out there was, and she calls it the 'Toothbrush Principle'. I must admit I didn't do all the exercises she gives, and you don't need to once you have the idea. I did go round my home, though, and realized that what worked was, without exception, stuff that already obeyed the principle. It was a real underlying truth about organization. I gradually transformed everything using this one idea, which is so simple. It's like having the secret the tidy people never taught you.

If you are like I was, finding tidiness a question of look and 'neat piles', this book is for you. Tidiness is actually about an easier existence in harmony with your surroundings, where things are in the right spot because there's nowhere else you'd rather have them and nowhere easier for them to go. A snap once you get it... it became a joy and privilege for me to alter my habitat. So simple, so effective. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to change your life...read this book, 7 July 2010
One word comes to mind when reading this book and that is 'genius'. I'm a fairly unorganized - well, I WAS a fairly disorganized person with lots of clutter and I wasn't sure why I would miss small tasks or not get enough work done or why I was living in so much clutter. People would tell me to use a diary and I did - but something was missing or to me, it was just the way I was. However, having read through this book and going through the exercises, I'm now becoming the person I want to be and achieving what I want.

This is a not-to-miss book. Not only does Sheila say why we have clutter but also makes a life-changing system which literally banishes clutter forever. I would not be achieving my goals without this book.

Thank you Sheila.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving house? Buy a copy!, 4 Mar 2010
J. MACDONALD (London) - See all my reviews
I recently moved house and used this fantastic book as a guide when unpacking, sorting, putting things away, arranging my wardrobe and getting rid of stuff. I've read other books on clutter but nothing really seems to work - Sheila Chandra's system is so simple and effective it even worked on an inveterate hoarder like me. I've also solved my email in-box clutter problems at the same time. Absolutely brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you need to combat household clutter!, 6 July 2011
Boglee (North Wales) - See all my reviews
I could not put the Kindle down when reading this!
Excellently written, broken down into areas to concentrate on. It worked for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Solution to Clutter, 4 Mar 2010
I had already made a start on decluttering my laptop, but I have to say that by following one simple tip in this book, I have completely transformed my email clutter in just 5 minutes and am now much more productive in the mornings. Next my office space. This book offers a wealth of information and advice on decluttering and the toothbrush principle and it's "zoning" system really work. If you have clutter you simply must read this book.

Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life