5.0 out of 5 stars Another success from the Ottolenghi team
Published on 10 May 2010 by C. North

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm trying hard to like this book
I bought this book based on reviews, and I just don't get the hype attached. It feels like a half measure. The recipes are OK, but involve quite a number of ingredients which are genuinely hard to come by on a day to day basis, so for me, as i don't live close to a specialist store, it takes a lot of planning for.

There are some good ideas for varied salads and...
Published on 5 Sep 2010 by A. M. Long

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success from the Ottolenghi team, 10 May 2010
C. North "CCN" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
My wife and I were already fanatical fans of Ottlenghi (the shop -- surely one of the world's greatest purveyor of fresh prepared salads and baked goods), and of Ottlenghi (the book), a cookbook we keep returning to for ideas. So we were delighted to see a new book from the same author/team. We've already sampled a half-dozen recipes from the new book and each one was a success. The new book is more approachable than the first, with a clean, elegant design -- and some recipes which are very straightforward in preparation lead to a transcendent result, like the Jersey Royal potato salad with pesto or the spinach pancakes. We've bookmarked the next half-dozen we want to try and will be tackling them this week!

We actually completely failed to notice that the book was a "vegetarian" book, at least in the narrow sense that it doesn't have recipes for meat. We are avowed carnivores; but the dishes are so inspiring that you might well forget meat for a meal!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Plenty', indeed., 26 April 2010
Colin J. Herd "colin j herd" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
If you are a fan of Ottolenghi's weekly column 'The New Vegetarian' in the Guardian, then you may (like me) vaguely remember reading some of these recipes before. You may even have cooked a few, or (more often in my case) vowed to cook them at some point, possibly cutting the recipe out, or just throwing the magazine on the stack in the corner of your cluttered desk, or kitchen table, then tidied them away and allowed the Pear Crostini (Dec 2007), or the Puy Lentil Gallette (Jan 2007), or even (shame on you) the Scrambled Smoky Duck Eggs on Sourdough (June 2008) to drop off the wipe-clean tablecloth of your culinary agenda. Which is why this book is a dream-come-true: it is a cupped palm collecting all those crumbs (adding some previously unpublished ones for good measure) and repackaging them in a stunning, beautifully photographed hardback book. 'Plenty', indeed.

I absolutely believe that this is the best book of vegetarian food I've ever read or cooked from. The reason for that is, I genuinely never once felt like I was reading or cooking from a vegetarian book. Some vegetarian cookbooks speak 'meat' as a kind of Derridean absent subtext almost as loudly as they speak vegetables; I'm thinking of recipes I remember reading in other books like 'vegetable toad in the hole'.

In Ottolenghi's cookbook the absence of meat is silenced, easy-to-forget, totally squashed and rendered unimportant in culinary terms. Of course there is no meat or fish in the 'Artichoke Gratin' (p.178) or the 'Ultimate winter couscous' (p.262) or the 'Saffron tagliatelle with spiced butter' (p.260), 'Halloween Souffles' (p.64) or 'Egg spinach and pecorino pizza' (p.156) because these recipes are complete and perfect and authentic as they are, meat would be an unnecessary embellishment.

It's wonderful to have Ottolenghi's New Vegetarian recipes collected in one place, organized by a central ingredient, so that if you fancy an inventive egg dish or a quirky but wholesome cereal recipe, you know exactly which chapter to consult. This is a great followup to The Ottloenghi Cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ottolenghi has done it again - thank you, 29 April 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this book and was very excited to receive it, being the vegetarian food geek that I am. I thought I would start out by bookmarking just a few recipes - but ended up marking almost the entire book - I just want to cook everything! I have already made some of the recipes, which I collected from the New Vegetarian column in the Guardian. The black pepper tofu, the mee goreng, the multi-vegetable paella, the quesadillas and the winter couscous - all extremely tasty!
My perserved lemons are ready to use for the summer (thanks to an excellent recipe from the first Ottolenghi book). I plan to make at least 2 recipes from the new book each weekend! I cannot wait to make the caramelised garlic tart, the green pancakes with lime butter and every single one of the aubergine dishes.
Thank you Ottolenghi - you're a real inspiration and your food is delightful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Veggie Heaven, 3 May 2010
K. Lewis "Bobo 62" (Peterborough) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I had the first Ottolenghi book but it was a bit too meaty.
This is a fantastic book for vegetarians and non-vegetarians - they will not realise they are meat deprived because the recipes are all so delicious. Cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy!, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
As a lover of Middle Eastern and Italian food, and having tried some recipes before, the quality of the recipes shouldn't have surprised me. Still this book offered a lot of lovely discoveries. Such enjoyable flavour combinations, with healthy, fresh ingredients. Truly life affirming.

Recipes are ordered in chapters like:
Mushrooms
The mighty Aubergine
Pasta, Polenta, Couscous
Cereals
Fruit with Cheese
Green Things
To name a few I particularly like.

What came as a complete surprise though, was the beautiful design of this book. A nice heavy padded hardback, which stays open on the page of your recipe. Beautiful photographs and drawings, as well as a writing style that encourages you to have a go (often providing variation ideas and side dishes by-the-by).

Reassuring bedtime reading, as well as great recipes.

If you like Middle Eastern Veggie Food, you can also find many more, less fancy but nonetheless delicious, recipes in 'Classic Vegetarian Cooking: From the Middle East and North Africa' by Habeeb Salloum that I have reviewed as well.

Plenty to enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Drooling..., 30 April 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I've only just opened my copy and I'm pleased to see old Guardian favourites long lost in sticky piles of cuttings & unopened bills. The pictures are mouthwatering and the prose enthusiastic and inviting. Who cares that there are no puddies, cakes or meat? You've got the fab first book for those. Cheeky aside... let's hope the recipe on p214 has a little g missing. I'm not sure I can count to 450!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Ottolenghi, we are indebted to you!, 9 May 2010
Stephen Lloyd (Bradford, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
As a vegetarian of many years standing I am extremely pleased that Ottolenghi has produced this beautiful and creative cook book for us.

Do not doubt that it is beautiful. From the softly padded white minimalist design of the cover to the colourful and enticing images within.

The fact that this book refuses to follow the `starters, mains and sweets' of other books makes me love it even more. I do not particularly want a section on puddings (the absence of which was critically noted by a previous reviewer). I want a book crammed full of delicious food which Ottolenghi more than substantially provides here.

Read Colin J Hird's testimony to this book above. I'm not even sure that Mr. Hird is a vegetarian but his review is beautifuly accurate.

Ignore the doubters. This book is easily as impressive as his first and In terms of vegetarian cuisine it sets a very high bench mark indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm trying hard to like this book, 5 Sep 2010
A. M. Long "Ali Long" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)

There are some good ideas for varied salads and the Garlic Tart, and the 'surprise' tart are good, but for me it's one of those books that I'll probably use a couple of times, but it will never become a favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite vegetarian cookbook!, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I got this cookbook after I saw it in the bookshop, and I liked it very much, just browsing through.
However, for some reason, after I actually got it, it took me a while before I started cooking from it. Owning already a lot of vegetarian cookbooks, and having a lot of yummy dishes in my "standard repertoire", a lot of the dishes in Plenty seemed good, but none of them actually seemed extraordinary, just from looking at them, so I never got to cooking them.
However, now I finally started to go through the recipes and cook them one by one, and how wrong I was! Most of them were really yummie.
This is definitely not a cookbook if you are not into cooking, since most of the dishes indeed require more than 30 minutes of preparing and some love for cooking! But I don't understand the people complaining about this book. I do not need cookbooks for easy dishes that I throw together in less then 30 minutes. If you are looking for that kind of book, you should probably buy a cookbook that is specifically aimed at this kind of recipes. For the days in the week that I do take the time to cook, this book is wonderful!
Also many people have been complaining about the many ingredients, but I really do not think that the amount or the type of ingredients are extraordinary. I live in a small town in Belgium, and I can usually buy all ingredients in my local supermarket, and if not, it's easy enough to come up with a substitution, or simply leave the ingredient out. Personally, I think a lot of the ingredients are a must in any vegetarian's cupboard, and worth a trek to a bigger city once in a while. And I also do not think that the recipes have that many ingredients, since usually a lot of them are just an assortment of fresh herbs, garlic, onion, oil,...

So: if you're really a novice cook, this book might not be for you, but if you love cooking and have some basic experience, this book is really a MUST!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book even if you are not a veggy, 17 Jun 2010
J. Graham (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I have another book by Ottolenghi and have found the reciepes in there to both work and be delicious and in a lot of cases unusal, Plenty carries this on but is I would say full of more everyday reciepes than its predesessor; not that this is a bad thing in anyway as while I love cooking his reciepes some of them require you set aside a lot of time, Plenty on the otherhand has more receipes that you can pull together in the evening after work.

In addition to this he continues to use some unusual ingredients which if you can get hold them opens up new and exciting flavours.

In short I am still working my way through this book but have loved it so far and to be honest not really noticed the abscence of meat / fish which surprised me!

Great book full of healthy and tastey receipes.

Plenty
Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi (Hardcover - 29 April 2010)
17.68