‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just flat caps and whippets..., 5 Nov. 2010
S. Chapman (York UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
I bought this for my Dad and he absolutely loved it. My family is Yorkshire born and bred, and we have lived all over God's own country. This book was full of interesting facts my Dad didn't know, and he loves coming out with random Yorkshire facts to anyone who will listen. This is a great book for anyone from Yorkshire and is sure to raise a few smiles and exclamations of "I never knew that!". Thoroughly recommmended!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Yorkshuh stuff than you can take in!, 5 April 2011
J. Manson "Ah'll si thi!" (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
Book looks at the different areas of God's county by area and location of historic and facinating facts. Good buy for a pressie for Yorkies and those people unfortunate not to be born in the most modest of counties! Lovely book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A big and beautiful place: at least, in theory..., 11 Mar. 2015
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Brentwood) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
This is a pretty impressive volume, containing the sort of facts and trivia that will surely be of interest to natives of (and visitors to) the three historic Yorkshire Ridings. It has certainly taught me a thing or two - although I'm just a bloke from Essex with a head like a sieve and no discernible intelligence whatsoever. As is evidenced by my being on holiday in Yorkshire at this very moment, in the occasional company of my ex-wife - who really can't stand me.

I originally spent more than a week flicking through these pages, alone, and in the safety of my own living room. Christopher Winn's Yorkshire seemed like a truly magical location, full of charm and character. Just the sort of place, I thought, to take a lady for her latest 39th birthday.

Having a head like a sieve, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I did seem to be retaining an awful lot of the information I was reading. I had definite visions of visiting quite a large number of these locations with my former wife and of imparting Mr Winn's facts and figures to her, completely from memory. She, in turn, would obviously have been hugely impressed by my efforts, to the extent where she might (only MIGHT, mind you) have actually smiled at me.

I put such a ridiculous level of optimism down to the ease with which stuff of interest was popping into my head and then taking residence in it. And I put that down to Mr Winn's smart presentation. Rather than simply having pages and pages of writing in the same typeface the author has, very cleverly, managed to emphasise (almost as bullet points) the relevant details of WHY these places are especially noteworthy. Combined with the beautiful little black and white illustrations provided by his wife, Mai Osawa, it makes the book a very interesting read. Certainly from a living room in Essex.

It deals with Yorkshire as four separate bits: the East, North and West Ridings and the cities of York and Ripon. There's a comprehensive index, of both people and places, together with something called a 'gazetteer', which is basically the addresses and contact details of many of the places of interest that have been mentioned. There's even a very basic map of Yorkshire although, from a living room in Essex, it really isn't possible to get an idea of the vastness of the entire county from it. Especially when you're in the company of an unpredictable lady who is likely to blame you if a trip to Hull, from any direction, takes more than five minutes. And, let's face it, once the sprawling geography and layout of 'God's Own County' somehow becomes your fault, there's not much hope of truly enjoying your holiday, now is there?

The snippet of information that most interested me referred to Tolkein's walks along the Holderness coast, which is just up the road from where we're staying. I was hoping to retrace some of his steps, to perhaps receive my own literary inspiration in the small matter of some erotic fiction I am heavily involved in. The only problem is, it seems that Tolkein used to be accompanied by his wife Edith, who 'danced among the hemlocks'. My former wife doesn't dance. And, in her current mood, I'd say sticking her anywhere near a field of hemlocks might see me joining Socrates for dinner and a show at some point in the very, VERY near future.

So, I'm back to reading this book and simply marvelling at the diverse history and geography of Yorkshire. Alone. In the safety of a living room in Hornsea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know about Yorkshire, 2 April 2013
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
If you like facts and your a Yorkshireman this is just the ticket, but for those who have live outside the county its a very good guide giving places to visit to give an insight to the whole of Yorkshire

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 10 Feb. 2013
J. Mitchell "Super Gran" (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
Bought this for a relative who knows everything about Yorkshire so seemed the perfect book. He was very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
Bought it for a Christmas present but enjoyed looking through this book myself and would buy it again and recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have the same book for the Lake District and really enjoy it. Good book for dipping into and reading ..., 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
Gave this as a present to my grandad who is in his 90s and has lived in Yorkshire all his life. Tells me he is enjoying it- though I'm not sure if there is anything he doesn't know about Yorkshire. I have the same book for the Lake District and really enjoy it. Good book for dipping into and reading little facts and stories about locations.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent information, 19 July 2012
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
Having left Yorkshire some years ago, was delighted to be reminded of my home . Have purchases extra copies for my relatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Never Knew that about Yorkshire., 25 April 2014
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
I'm really enjoying this book. Thatcher took my town out of Yorkshire in 1974 and I felt quite bereft. I felt my heritage was being taken away. It's lovely to read about the place and find out all these things and it's especially good to have been put back into Yorkshire. Thank goodness there's some justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: I Never Knew That About Yorkshire (Hardcover)
Very good book interesting facts about the old ridings of Yorkshire.places I've know about and passed by now gives a better insight into places.born in York a lot of places I've never heard of.no big long boring passages just small bits of information straight to the point great for kids doing local history.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I Never Knew That About Yorkshire
I Never Knew That About Yorkshire by Christopher Winn (Hardcover - 29 April 2010)