5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and so evocative
Published on 1 Dec. 2009 by Sir Richard Heygate

1.0 out of 5 stars Real potential ruined by religious bias.
Nothing in this book is lost. I really don't enjoy trolling someone else's hard work but this has no lost country wisdom. I can see if you live in the center of London and have never left this might have items in it that you might feel are vaguely interesting, however if you have or do live in a rural environment you will most probably know all of this. The most...
Published 11 months ago by Andrew Shanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and so evocative, 1 Dec. 2009
Sir Richard Heygate (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Sky at Night: The Book of Lost Country Wisdom (Hardcover)
I heard about the book from Amazon, who told me that the readers of my "The English Book of Magic" were deserting me to read Jane's. I ordered a copy and prepared to criticise, but was disarmed immediately. Where she got her facts from, I don't know, but they are totally wonderful and so evocative of my own upbringing in a small English village, when everyone still knew each other and the pub had not become a Gastro. How can you not be seduced by wonderful insights into the boxing matches of hares, which turn out not to be a male contests to impress the female, but the equivalent of the female whacking the male hare over the head with a handbag. Then there are Bee's. I always thought them self-absorbed in there busy life, but No! Unless you tap gently on their hive and give them a full update on your life and family history they will go into terminal decline. Sad stories of the end of familiar country animals range from wolves to the most beautiful of owls, which you may still hear but never see - what has the modern world done. Yet, with Jane's book to hand, it all comes back, clear as the day my nanny took me hunting for nettles to make into a soup and disturbed a wasp's nest in the process.

Thank you Jane. What a treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars A total treasure and also a pleasure., 13 Oct. 2010
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is literally stuffed to the gunwales with knowledge of country ways and country lore. There are chapters on trees, fungi, birds, animals, the weather, making hedgerow wines and foods and some really interesting old rhymes some of which I knew but some I didn't but am pleased I now do. One particular rhyme that stood out for me was the one about firewood. This I found fascinating as I do love a roaring fire in the Winter.

Even if you live in the country like I do, you will still find something of interest in this lovely little book.

Very highly recommended indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wassail, 2 Nov. 2009
This book is a wonderful treasure trove of old country ways, lore, recipes and practical tips. Whether you are in town or country this book is a marvellous reference book to find those obscure little bits of information, for instance, I have always been unsure about which way up to hang a horseshoe. I'm looking forward to trying the fruit cake recipe and testing to see how fresh the eggs really are. This book has so much fascinating information, a broad and detailed cornucopia of knowledge, you will be poring over it for years to come. Written in a fresh, light and humorous style which will bring a smile to your face every time you pick it up. I recommend this book. A sheer delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country wisdom accessible at last, 1 Feb. 2011
J. Mason "Wit and Wisdom" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I was a little wary about purchasing this book as some people had slated it, but I am so glad that I bought it anyway! It has chapters on all I'd wanted to know and more - from making wine, thatching roofs, and learning about native birds and trees to home remedies to common ailments such as the cold (very useful at this time of year!) I'll admit that it could go into more detail at some points - it lists birds and trees but does not describe them so if you were interested in that you would have to buy more books on that subject. It is a brilliant guide overall and I thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Book, 3 Oct. 2013
Henna (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good little book, full of helpful, handy and sweet anecdotes, tips and snippets of information. I'd have preferred more detail in some of the sections - but my other half says he couldn't recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book to have around., 13 Jan. 2011
Ms. S. Marshall "S Marshall" (Norfolk, England!) - See all my reviews
My mum got this book for Christmas and after spending a lot of time flicking through the pages and learning various interesting things, i decided to purchase one for my own bookcase! I'm so glad i did. It's just full of the kind of information you don't go out of your way to learn, but feel very pleased to know about! I think the front cover is beautiful! It's been written in such a creative way, i cant wait to lay on the lawn in summer with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Countryside Ways, 6 Feb. 2014
A great read,lots of interesting facts concerning countryside ways etc,bought two copies of this as presents,both recipients liked the book too

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Interesting, 7 Feb. 2014
Good service and a most interesting and entertaining read.
Many folk tales heard previously but sadly forgotten over the years

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 17 Oct. 2009
This is a great book, full of interesting, quirky and useful information written with a refreshing subtle sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and interesting reading, 20 Aug. 2013
it brought back memories of my dad, who used to rely on a lot of the wisdom in this book

Red Sky at Night: The Book of Lost Country Wisdom
Red Sky at Night: The Book of Lost Country Wisdom by Jane Struthers (Hardcover - 3 Sept. 2009)