Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 June 2015
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading this book but found it really enjoyable. Richard Herring speaks with a blunt honesty about his romantic quests, his struggle to settle down and the constant battle to remain funny in an ever increasing world of comedy. He takes us through the months leading to his 40th birthday and the many battles he faced with himself to control his childish instincts as well as how life has since changed ....for the better!
on 30 August 2010
As a long-time fan of Richard Herring (yes, I was at the Lee and Herring live recording all those years ago...), I was really looking forward to reading this book. And it gave me everything I wanted, albeit not in the way I was expecting it. I anticipated a peek into Richard's private and professional life - which I got - but not the amount of self-doubt, soul-searching and downright personal feeling that the book is filled with. I can't remember reading an autobiography with such honesty before - honesty that doesn't always paint Richard in the kindest of lights. And that's where you'll be surprised, possibly shocked. If you're expecting a showbiz biog about how great and blessed a life the subject has enjoyed - look elsewhere. But if you want to know what life is like for a single man approaching what he's always been told is the age he should have everything sorted by - you'll keep turning the pages as much as I did. My only disappointment was that I would have liked to have learned more about the ins and outs of Richard's career (the only glimpse we really get is of a fight in the office with Stewart Lee!) but I guess we'll get that when he's approaching 60! Great stuff!
on 15 October 2010
Richard Herring has co written some of the best comedy of the last 20 years but somehow misses completely with this book. I was left feeling a bit sad after reading it, i felt that this man was a bit of a git. Never ever meet your heros or in this case read about them. Most of the book is filled up with references to his sexual conquests all of which seem to make him whine a lot. To conceal the fact he is a fanny rat he sprinkles a bit of self loathing over each ancedote but still gives you the impression hes a ladies man on the sly. If fans are mentioned in the book then they are only done so based on how attractive they are to him. Most males in the book are seen as annoying competition and just in the way of any potential shag. I felt most sad when he was refering to fans who try and chat with him about his work, he seems to hold them with contempt unless of course they are pretty girls who are willing to nosh him off. The most annoying thing about this book is i still like his work he is a genuinely funny person though in real life is probably an arsehole. I suppose after 20 years in show biz you get a bit up yourself i just feel that its a shame he had to tell us about it.
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2014
Richard Herring quite clearly has funny bones. This is a witty book, interspersed with some truly touching moments. For those familiar with the author's standup there will be no disappointment (except maybe for the complete lack of cumpkins).
on 21 December 2013
If you only read one book this year, then you're a moron and I don't want anything to do with you.
on 19 July 2011
This was trying to tap into The Yes Man territory but despite the odd funny moment, it just didn't work and sometimes left a bad taste in the mouth. Disappointing.
on 16 July 2011
I do like some of Richard Herrings comedy and quite liked him on various panel shows, so was curious how this book might be. It was ok but not really what I expected. It showcases 30 days, describing Richards life before turning 40.
I had no idea that he lived this quite excessive life, enjoying drinks and making out with very young woman who were mostly fans of his.
A lot of the time the book is actually rather sad and thoughtful and not particularly funny at all.
The most amusing moments happen when Richard talks about his parents, his naive, sweet talking mum and his sarcastic dad ( "are you famous yet?).
Richard had clearly a privileged upbringing and describes his failure to get to the very top of comedy fame, which he admits, is clearly down to his debaucherous life style.
There is a lot of self pitty which I find hard to relate to.
Therefore I find the book mediocre but not hugely entertaining.
on 7 July 2014
Generally good and well written and, frankly, the fault in not really enjoying this hugely is down to me and my expectations of it. I really like Richard Herring but, being 29 and 353 days, engaged with a child I didn't really empathise too much with this Richard Keith character and found him slight whiney and introspective and not what I had hoped (again, the fault is with me rather than him). However, it was his memoir about a tough year and he was more honest and open that you would normally get in these things. It didn't help that I knew much of this having seen all his stand up shows and know he married the love of his life.

I would recommend this more to someone at a crossroads in their life as opposed to a Richard Herring fan as I think it's great in the first sense but disappointing in the latter.

Really, I wanted more dick jokes
on 23 April 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like Richard Herring. His DVD "Someone likes yoghurt" is one of the funniest stand-up routines I have ever seen. The clips on youtube, and the podcasts of his "As It Occurs To Me" sessions are also hilarious. So why didn't I like this book much?

Well, he spends far too much time beating himself in it and apologising. I phrased that slightly differently in my first review but it never made it past the Amazon censor machine. Suffice it to say that there are funny anecdotes here, but too much waffle about what a horrible human being he must be. If this book was half the size, had all the apologies removed and replaced with a big "I'm Sorry!" on one page, it would be a five star read. As it stands, the apologetic tone gets irritating very quickly.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 September 2014
This is ideal for anyone approaching their fortieth birthday with less than enthusiasm and also for those who have experienced this supposedly milestone birthday and now smugly know there’s nothing to it. It’s funny and confessional. At the end it’s sweet, but before that it’s a bit sleazy and lost. This book taught me the plural Flumpses. You should look up “Pyrrhic victory” before reading if you don’t know who he was and what it was. It’s not used with quite the frequency in which Alan Partridge was reported to have written “Needless to say I had the last laugh” but it does crop up more than once. It’s an uplifting book in places, Herring has a lot of optimism. He’s also very honest about times when he’s a bit of an idiot.