4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful
Published on 20 Oct 2010 by KJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Stressed
I know the baby whisperer knows everything about babies, but this book only left me feeling stressed and frustrated.
The tone in the book is very hard. It made me feel that if this didn't work for me it is all my fault and I am a bad parent.
It did not feel organised to me and it was hard to look something up that I was wondering about.
The "pick...
Published 5 months ago by Asa Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, 20 Oct 2010
This review is from: Top Tips from the Baby Whisperer: Sleep: Secrets to Getting Your Baby to Sleep through the Night (Paperback)
This book has nearly driven me to ditraction. It's harsh, not always accurate (3 separate health visitors and my doctor have all told me in the strictest terms that it is normal for a baby under six months to wake for a night feed once per night- Tracy Hogg writes as though any baby over three months still waking during the night has clearly not been parented correctly) and is very badly written- I found the sections confusing and not logical at all.

HOWEVER, the shush pat method works. It tooks us ages to perfect it and get it right for us- again, the style of writing is confusing. The EASY routine makes sense too but your baby might not do it exactly as the author describes.

BUT be really careful with this book- I have found it to be like a sentence around my neck at times- Tracy Hogg's answer to everything is that we must have done some accidental parenting.. I hate this term- it's unhelpful, judgmental and horribly smug. I teach children and see "accidental parenting" all the time so I understand what she means, yet the accusatory tone is unhelpful and completely misjudged- especially when you are sleep deprived and trying to do your best for your little bundle.

In summary- cotains some really good ideas, but the best thing would be take what you need.. then toss it onto the fire and go and enjoy your baby!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love love love!, 5 Feb 2014
I loved this book it helped me so much! Taught me techniques that actually have helped my child to self settle at night

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to set a good routine with my baby girl!, 4 Feb 2014
Definitely recommend this book, helped me to set a routine and to stick to it. Once I started doing the 3 hour routine with my 4 month old daughter she just naturally fell into it. She now sleeps from 7pm, dream feed at 10pm, and usually wakes anything between 5-7am. I'm using the tips in the book to train her to last until 7am. Purchasing this book I was able to use the advice to suit me, my baby and partner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stressed, 17 Jan 2014
The "pick up" technique to help my baby sleep is something I did for weeks. My back was in so much pain and my baby unhappy. Finally I was in tears.
Now I just stay in the room with her until she sleeps. Keeping a hand on her if she is upset, and that works perfectly. My baby is happy and I get to sleep through the night.
I would recommend the books written by the Super nanny. They are straight to the point and has a pleasant tone.

1.0 out of 5 stars shorter version of other books, 23 Dec 2013
This book is a summary of other books and is useless when you need full details. I shouldn't have wasted my money on this book

2.0 out of 5 stars Rediculous book, 26 Jun 2013
I spent 55min picking up/putting down my son and felt like a complete failure!!! The methods used in this book make no sense and are confusing to the child.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but every baby's different, 6 Dec 2012
It's good. I can't fault it's ideas. But you know your baby best. Use it as a guide but not as a bible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Some information was not safe and out of date, 7 Oct 2010
A Kid's Review
I stopped reading this after about one third of the way through because some of the information was out of date e.g. the author recommends swaddling babies after 3 months, for as long as is tolerated. This is not in accordance with current UK medical advice. Babies can overheat if swaddled after 3 months.
Also, I didn't approve of her unhelpful harsh terminology e.g. "accidental parenting" which she describes as the "complete opposite of patient and conscious parenting". This sounds fair enough, but her "accidental parenting" includes any parent who has EVER rocked their baby to sleep, got up with their baby at 5am etc. I can't think of any parent who hasn't done some of the activities on her list, but nearly every parent I know still manages to be patient and conscious.
The statements about parents who have "broken the bonds of trust" with their baby and instructions to sit on the floor all night next to the baby (sleeping on a pillow on the floor) is particularly harsh and unrealistic.
However, her E(at).A(ctivity)S(leep).Y(ou) plan was a simple and sensible idea.

2.0 out of 5 stars unhelpful, 5 April 2010
This book is full of catchy strap lines that are repeated again and again and again... there is only one idea in the whole book so although it is (thankfully) short it could be way shorter! I bought this because I will never try 'controlled crying' on my baby and I have to admit that in her favour Ms. Hogg does not advocate controlled crying, I just wish she had more than one alternative suggestion. This book is for those of you who like routine, have good self esteem and are not breastfeeding, I suggest that the rest of us steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, gets results and 3 weeks on my 10 week old son sleeps through the night, hurrah, 17 Jun 2014
One thing to say is you have to be strict with yourself and others around you if you plan to use this book, get ideas of soothing and helping various sleep problems but just being able to follow the "easy" plan she writes about is fantastic, stand your ground with relatives who want to wake the baby or , " oh I wanted to feed them, can't they have their bottle now." !!! NO . There's no magic here just good old fashioned common sense, routine and at times techniques that you need to tough it out wi and have patience, it gets results.