on 6 August 2009
This really is a great book. I always check amazon for reviews before buying things but never really bother with writing reviews my self, however this book is so good i felt like I have to do it justice and let everyone else know that it is full of realistic and useful information.

I have spent the last 2 years looking around for a book just like this and nothing out there has ever really hit the spot so this is why im so excited about it! What i really like about this book is that all the infomation is very accessable and the content is easy to dip in and out of or delve into. I have had the book for a week now and have been carrying it around with me as it has helped to keep me motivated during my training for the Great North Run in september. Also it might be useful to know that as a cooking teacher and I can see that the majority of recipes would be easy and simple enough to follow for any one to follow or for the more experienced and confident foodies to adapt!

Enjoy getting your teeth into this book :-D
on 15 July 2009
As someone juggling a family, work and running I felt this book had been written just for me.
The books informative yet chatty style was a pleasure to read, I even found myself reading all the nutritional information in the first few chapters. Many of the recipes are quick and simple enough to tackle even after the longest run when I'm usually not in the mood to cook) and the family loves them.

This book would also be ideal for anyone cooking for an active family.
on 21 April 2011
I had recently taken up running (or maybe I should call it jogging?) when I bought this book, the reviews looked great and when the book arrived it did not disappoint. I used this book when training for a half marathon and the pasta and rice dishes in particular fueled me on my longer runs. Most of the recipes Serve 4, which is great if you have a family and they also don't take too long to prepare. I myself just half the recipes which works out perfectly for me and my partner, who also says he loves the recipes we have tried.

The introductory chapters are clear and well-written and the nutritional information is a must read because I think it will help people understand how their body uses food for fuel (esp. when exercising), something many people may potentially find dull, but it is written in such an engaging and concise way that I defy anyone NOT to be interested by it!! I felt that I knew what foods I should be eating and knew about the nutritional information (as I work in a health store) but my problem was that I struggled to find wholesome, exciting recipes that were also well rounded meals that tasted good and on that front this book delivers for sure!

As for the recipes themselves, where do I begin? The breakfast section is my favorite at the moment, the Buckwheat Pancakes with Cheese and Ham and the Date and Walnut Breakfast Muffins are both divine! I never realised how easy it was to make your own Gnocchi, the Lemon Basil Spaghetti is also delicious and simple. I really like the range and variety of recipes too, Thai, Indian, Italian, Greek, French, American - the list goes on so you will never be bored. The selection of desserts, energy snacks drinks and smoothies are also amazing.

My only qualm would be that it doesn't have any images of the gorgeous food which would add to it's appeal even more, so you do have to use your imagination a bit with regards to that, but it didn't really bother me too much. Hopefully Kate Percy will be bringing out many more recipe books in the future, and with lots of lovely photos!
on 5 September 2009
After suffering with post exercise headaches etc I needed help to fuel up properly. I gave this book a try and so far it has been great. Whole foods, explanations of when each dish is best as well as meal planners. Even my husband who would usually avoid wholemeal if he can has loved the items produced so far.

If you are looking for inspiration to back up a new training regime this could be it
on 9 July 2009
While I no longer run myself (hip problem) I love cooking for my family and want us all to eat healthily. Obviously, we don't want to feel hungry in between meals and the delicious recipes in this book make sure of that. My 19 year old oarsman son has read it from cover to cover and has given me a list of recipes I 'have to try' to keep him fuelled for all his training. Last night we had the Spicy Chicken and Chickpea Pilaf which was scrumptious. I recommend this book for both its recipes and comprehensive nutritional advice. Perhaps Kate Percy's next book could include colour photographs of her wonderful dishes.
on 10 March 2015
I have had this book for a long time, and really felt it was time to give it the positive review it deserves. I've cooked dozens of recipes from it, with some of them now firm favourites, and I've never been disappointed.

I'm a runner with a real interest in eating healthily whilst still having enough energy to run up and down muddy hills, and the fueling advice in this book is very good. It's also written so that people with minimum cooking skills (me!) can produce something tasty enough to impress their friends.
on 7 October 2014
This really is a great book. A concise explanation of nutrition at the start which help you understand and plan your nutrition to your training and personal life.

The recipes are are extremely tasty, and easy to adapt if there is something you don't like. A good mix of simple and quick meals when time is short and some more elaborate ones for when you have the time.

I can definitely say this book has had a hugely positive impact on my training and running!

Some have complained about the lack of pictures, and yes pictures would be nice but if you don't know what a dish should look like a quick internet search should set you in the right direction.
on 16 September 2009
Go Faster Food has been the perfect companion to my marathon training schedule. Not only is the section on nutritional advice essential reading for any athlete, but the recipes reliably prepare, energise or restore the body, dispelling those yawny, foggy feelings that seem to linger around the latter stages of an event prep, and making a marked difference in performance.

The results are invariably delicious, sometimes unusual but never overly complicated. It's a great book.
on 18 April 2013
I bought this after listening to Kate Percy give her seminar about sports nutrition at The London Triathlon Show in March. I'm very glad I did. Before I bought this book I had no baking skills whatsoever. Now I make cakes and flapjacks every week as they are great for energy, healthy and taste amazing. I've just run The Brighton Marathon and knocked over 20 minutes off last year's time. This book was one of the factors that helped me achieve this (it doesn't just have individual recipes it has diet/meal plans for build ups to endurance races amongst others). I'm looking forward to trying some of the meal ideas.

The only slight downside is there are no pictures but if you follow the recipe the food will look and taste great - have faith!!!

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to save money on expensive energy bars/flapjacks, those looking to improve their sporting performance, those wanting to learn how to cook or who are simply looking for new recipes (there are a loads to choose from in here), anyone looking for a healthy diet but not willing to compromise on taste and anyone who likes cake :) .
on 27 March 2012
I bought this when training for my first 10K and, although the book seems to have been written for more advanced athletes ("when you come in from a hard two-hour training session..." etc.), I've found the recipes make me run well, cycle easily and generally feel great. The nutritional introduction is really useful and the recipes mainly use the stuff I already have in my cupboard, so I didn't have to do an obscure grocery shop before being able to make anything. One criticism I have is that the cooking times are sometimes wild underestimates: it took me 2 hours to make gnocchi, not 35 minutes as the instructions said. Also, as far as the 'look' of the book goes, I don't mind the lack of pictures so much as the fact that it's not designed to lie open on a kitchen worktop as you cook. But these are publishing issues that could easily be fixed in the next edition. The content (arguably the most important bit) is excellent. I thoroughly recommend this book.