4.0 out of 5 stars Escape From Tony Robbins Island
For the average Brit the American style of self-help books has a number of things that grate: the need to name-drop, the appeal to authority, the need to portray oneself as wildly successful now but previously being close to defeat. This book has these in spades. It is also in parts rather disjointed and the author is fundamentally someone many of us would wish to avoid...
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by Charles Vasey

2.0 out of 5 stars Nuggets of wisdom have to mined from the not insignificant dross.
I love the idea of rejecting the "deferred life plan". The concept that one should pursue one's dreams and ambitions whilst still young enough, vital enough and financed enough to do so. These dreams should not be "deferred" to the time in life when we are becoming more infirm, more reliant and less energetic. So, the concept of the book is a noble one but the means...
Published on 17 Jun 2012 by Neil

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas, 26 Mar 2010
I was told about this book as it seems I was already living a little like the author ie home working, working from abroad etc however on reading it I was far from a 4 hour working week! The ideas in this book would be difficult for most people to follow in full but even if you took some of them, you could drastically save time and use it for yourself. Many of the websites are for US use as are many of the analogies and examples however if you get the general idea and use google to find UK equivalent services, then you can gain a lot. So since reading this I have outsourced to india, I have an administrator in ireland and I use a variety of free IT services to make my life easier. So read this book. Im off to the gym and for a coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thousands now creating Automated income who never thought it possible......., 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich (Paperback)
A is for Automation, there are many things to love about this book there will be a section for everyone for their situation but for me by far is the section on automation. A quote in the book I remember something along the lines of "in the future to run a company there will be a man and his dog, the man to keep the dog company and the dog to keep the man from touching anything"

This book will open your mind when it comes to automated passive income, get this one thing handled and you can do anything, go anywhere and do the things you've always wanted to do because you have a constant stream of income coming in. People want to become millionaires but why?

For the lifestyle mostly but this book goes against that get automated income handled and 50,000 a year on automation with all your time free is much better than a 250,000 salary working 70-80 hours a week becuase you still have a life.

I'm sure there have been many reviews for this book but it deserves nothing less than 5 stars in my opinion as it really has changed my outlook on life as its too short to be working like a dog all your life for somebody else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good stuff but a lot of hype, 20 Dec 2010
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There are some pretty good suggestions in this book. It can be quite inspiring when you first read it. However virtually all of the good advice is either obvious or can be obtained free on the internet.
He makes a lot of claims and then offers no evidence to back them up. Did he really win a kickboxing world championship? Did his bodybuilding supplement really make that much money?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Applicable Book For Creating Time & Money For Yourself, 24 Mar 2010
E. Khoo (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this book; I would recommend only read it if you are happy enough to get more work done, define (and accomplish) your dreams and help you focus on what you want. I keep re-reading parts to get all the rich content into my head so I can create a self sustaining muse. I go over it with Post-It Flags so i know where i can find the information again. A very enjoyable, rich and great read.

Well done Tim! i have some things you could improve with the book.

1. The content will be out of date in 3-5 years (only the references to web sources) the stories and views are classic and always will be relevant.
2. There are some readability mistakes with some paragraphs that could be corrected.

You could probably only read this book and use its tools for a year and be content to be living as a member of the New Rich for the rest of your life. It is that simple.

Buy this book; Life is too amazing to be stuck behind a desk for 60 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book ROCKS!.., 26 Dec 2013
Reading this book gives you a real sense of direction as to what you should be doing to "get back your life". Tim's book is both fascinating and informative. Definitely a 5 Star purchase...Keith [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Part read a friends copy, became a must have, 8 Aug 2013
The Hackpacker (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow what a lifestyle choice! I started to read a friends heavely noted copy and before long i was a good way through making notes myself. Decided the easy option was to get my own "Bible" and digest it all at my leasure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scam artist, 30 Jan 2014
Tim's approach reminds me of an updated approach of Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, believe are con artists.

Tim is basically a master of marketing and creating a brand, then very tightly protecting that brand. He claims to have beaten MMA world champions yet has no fight record, and being a Chinese National Champion kickboxer, sounds believable and great on the face of it but when you delve into the detail you find out it's all nonsense.

He makes claims of 'gaining 34 pounds of lean mass in 28 days'....not possible I'm afraid in the real world. His outsourcing approach must have included photoshop as all he's done is distort a picture.

Incredible feat of self promotion and misdirection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point., 8 July 2012
S. Oberauer "Lost Hobbit" (Earth) - See all my reviews
Having read about twenty non-fiction books over the past four years I've noticed a trend, which bothers me a little: Writers seem to have the need to tell you something in as many pages as possible. They probably have a publisher telling them that the book must have at least three hundred pages so that it seems to be more valuable than it really is. Tim, therefore, did something which I really like: He crammed loads of good stuff into the beginning of the book, with very little waffling. This means that you can read everything you need to read (up until page 200 if you're self employed or 300 if you're an employee), and if you're really bored, you can continue with the rest.

I've read a fair amount of material from self-made wealthy people, and it appears to me that the simple, first "secret" to being wealthy is this: You need to be very highly motivated (being very focused on the specific goal of making truck loads of cash), either fearless or willing to do whatever's necessary in spite of fear, and possibly a little crazy. If you don't fit that description, then that might be the first thing you need to work on, before reading this book. You could try Awaken the Giant within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Life to learn how to set goals and make decisions, and Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: How to Turn Your Fear and Indecision into Confidence and Action to learn to do things in spite of your fear.

Once you've become the kind of person you need to be, go ahead and read Tim's book, which is straight to the point, giving you step by step instructions as to what to do. I haven't tried the business strategy that Tim mentions in his book (and I'm pretty sure that most people who reviewed this book haven't) but I did try a few of his suggestions for time efficiency and they did work nicely.

Tim's thinking is very "out of the box", which I love, but some of these seem to have caused some ethical concerns for other reviewers, such as:

- Employing cheap Chinese & Indian labour
- Winning at martial arts by technicality, rather than fighting ability
- Spending less time working

... and so I'd like to end this review by making a quick point about the ethics of productivity vs working hard:

In 1850, one in sixteen people were employed in agriculture in the UK. Today it's one in three hundred. This means that, due to automation, there are sixteen times less people in what is probably the most important industry. What this also means is that most of the work that people do today does not serve the greater good, but rather helps one company to compete against other companies that are doing exactly the same thing. In other words, capitalism itself is a lot more hard work than productivity, and changing that is a good thing.

Stephen Oberauer
Author of The Mischievous Nerd's Guide to World Domination

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas mixed with a lot of BS, 8 Jan 2012
T. Ferriss really knows how to sell himself effectively and I can see he will never have a problem with self-esteem ;-)
I found interesting some of the ideas that he covers. However, his "I'm awesome" tone and manipulative style is a complete turnoff for me. There are definitely other books out there about the topic (how to escape from corporate life) that are much more useful and pleasant to read (for example, Career Renegade by Jonathan Fields)

5.0 out of 5 stars First review ever, 11 May 2011
I feel compelled to write about this great book. I work with a guy who had read it and said it wasnt great. Undeterred I went ahead, and Im so glad I did. Its a proper inspirational kick in the butt!

Im trying out my first muse this week and have high hopes. If you really want to break out of the 9-5 grind, I would recommend giving this book a read. I am reading certain sections over and over. The book is worth it just for all the free information it gives out, the resources and ideas for how to find your niche market.

Try it, I loved it.

p.s. Its not a tradtional self help book, dont be scared!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›