5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from start to finish
A really outstanding read, the writing just flows so well and the story is excellent.

A book that encompasses guilt, fear, memory and hope. Abby's raw emotions concerning the guilt she feels about the day Emma goes missing are heartbreaking, and her determination to make things right are captured wonderfully.

The passages about how human memory...
Published on 26 April 2009 by Lincs Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars The Year of Fog
Published on 28 April 2010 by Leah Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars The Year of Fog, 28 April 2010
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Year of Fog (Paperback)
When Abby Mason looks away from her six-year-old step-daughter for 30 seconds one day at the beach, the last thing she expects is to look back and find Emma gone. It seems as if Emma has just disappeared into thin air and as the search for Emma grows and nothing arises, Abby finds herself locked in her guilt. Months pass and Abby refuses to give up hope even when everyone around her believes that Emma simply drowned. The need to find Emma turns into an obsession for Abby and soon her relationship with Emma's dad Jake is suffering. Is it the case that Abby simply refuses to believe the truth or is Emma still out there somewhere, waiting?

The Year of Fog is a very sedate read - it's more about Abby's guilt than the fact Emma is missing. Sure, Abby is searching desperately to find her but that seems to be because she wants to assuage her guilt rather than because of any desire to find Emma herself. Jake, Emma's dad, also appears to lack any real passion for his daughter. Yes, like Abby he's desperate to find her but he was also quick to give up along with the police and I just couldn't understand why he would so readily want to move on with his life. I understand you can't logically go on looking forever but surely as a parent, that's what you would want to do. Particularly since it isn't that far into Emma's disappearance he wants to give up.

In part I liked the ending of the book. Let me amend that, I liked everything leading up to the actual end of the book. Abby's determination took her to Costa Rica in the hope of possibly finding Emma and it provided a positive change of scenery for the book. I have to admit that I had no inkling as to whether Abby would find Emma and was constantly itching to flick to the back page to learn the fate of Emma. It was a surprising lead up to the end and quite satisfying. However the end of the book made me want to bash my head against a brick wall because, quite simply, there were no real answers. I thought I'd missed a chapter when I turned the page and found the Acknowledgements and it irritated me that it ended on such a moot point. It was definitely a disappointing end to what was, up until that point, a relatively enjoyable novel.

I admit, I was probably expecting a different read from the one I got and the seriousness of the writing, although warranted, was a little hard to keep reading at times. Thankfully the chapters are kept relatively short meaning you can take a break if the need arises. I liked The Year of Fog, but it's nothing something I could read again and the ending was a huge disappointment. If you're looking for a good child-gone-missing story I would recommend you pick up Little Miracles by Giselle Green which I hugely enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from start to finish, 26 April 2009
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

The passages about how human memory works fits so will into the search for Emma and how Abby tries to recreate that awful day. Abby is a photographer and sees things very clearly, yet the science of memory and photography fit so well together as Abby searches for Emma.

This is a real page turner, with short snappy chapters which are very descriptive yet very to the point. The reader is gripped from the very beginning and there are some real hold your breath moments towards the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful page-turner, 14 April 2007
GG (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year of Fog (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed reading this book and couldn't put it down. It is a hauntingly beautiful story that you lose yourself in. The characters are well-developed and I learnt some interesting things about the nature of memory. But mostly, I was gripped by what was happening to Abby and those around her. I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Year of Fog - first class read, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Year of Fog (Paperback)
This was one of the best books I've read this year - and I've read a fair few. Quite a different sort of ending which leaves you a little up in the air and feeling somewhat sad for the "heroine" - but highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The year of the fog, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Year of Fog (Paperback)
Slow start, didn't think I was going to like it, but I was quickly won over, not my usual type of book, I like fast moving crime thrillers that grab you instantly and keep you hooked! But this was very sensitively and intelligently written, I liked it and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good read. Going to buy another of hers!, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Year of Fog (Paperback)
Wasn't really sure about this book, but read some of it in look inside and it did draw me in so I bought it. I really enjoyed this book. Its not my normal read, I tend to go for crime, suspense, thriller, etc. This book has the story to solve, but its much more about the characters in the book and the actual story is a vehicle for their behaviour, thoughts etc. Its quite a harrowing read, especially having a four year old myself, the 'parents worst nightmare' is very raw, but I liked the writing style immensely, the way you really are in Abbys head. The ending was not expected (which is generally good) after a harrowing read the reader does want a happy ending and to breath a sigh of relief, but this book gives you a realistic ending, not satisfying, but real life and very understandable. Just want to say as well, that the book gives you a real feel for San Francisco, the background descriptions are very atmospheric. I would definitely recommend this book and I am going to buy another book by her to see if that is as good!

4.0 out of 5 stars an easy holiday read, 13 May 2010
Carla Campbell (uk) - See all my reviews
this book was easy to read and i enjoyed it. i'm not a fan of easy happy ending chick lit so this was good for me. there was a bit too much info included on the workings of the memory which go a bit tedious at times but the story was good and the realistic demise of the relationship made a refreshing change too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Treat of a read, 9 Jan 2013
F Keegan (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year of Fog (Paperback)
Abby engaged to Jake is finding her feet at family life, trying to work out how to become a step mum to Jake's daughter Emma. Jake away for the weekend consoling his newly separated friend leaves Abby to care for Emma and they head to the beach amid dense fog that seems to be a continual weather problem where they live. Abby takes her eyes off Emma for a minute and she is gone. Abby spends a year looking for her when others have given up , the guilt she has inside won't let her stop and meanwhile what is becoming of her relationship with Jake?

A treat of a read, the emotions come across as so powerful, Abby's guilt, Jake's torment and I loved the people Abby met on her travels to find Emma. Short chapters packed with information and very hard to put down. Beautiful writing but missing just a little something that would make me want to keep this book hence the 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Laboured, at times, 20 Feb 2012
I Heart Books "Bookworm" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year of Fog (Kindle Edition)
This book started out really well and, because of that, it had me gripped before I realised I wished I hadn't bothered. It's quite laborious - there are so many flashbacks to things that really do not seem connected to the core of the story and they drag to the point where, unlike a book I find truly gripping, I could put it down for hours at a time. I read on simply to find out the fate of the little girl.

There were so many things about this book that stop me from reading it again. First and foremost, the dragging flashbacks. It felt like they were added in as padding to make the book longer.

Second, the completely unrealistic nature of the climactic part of the book. It simply does not happen. I have yet to hear of that outcome in real life.

Finally, the lack of any real ending. It seems like the author didn't really know what to do with the relationship between Jake and Abby so she let it trail off into nothingness.

I gave this book three stars because I did finish it and it tried so hard to be great. Unfortunately, to me, it will only ever be mediocre.

The Year of Fog
The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond (Paperback - 1 April 2010)
6.37