Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 March 2015
Very moving and inspiring book.I think Pen Farthing has done an amazing thing in helping the strays who would stand very little chance of any sort of life otherwise.Its sad that in a conflict situation the animals are often overlooked but the fantastic bonds that form between the dogs and soldiers in such terrible conditions are really heart warming and heart breaking.I loved this book.
on 9 March 2009
this is one of the best books that i have read in ages.Being a dog lover I just had to read it. I am just so full of admiration for Pen Farthing he is an inspiration to us all. If you care for dogs at all you must get it, but be prepared to shed a few tears !
on 18 September 2013
What can I say except a huge thank you Pen. Brilliant book with sadness but big smiles too. Everyone who reads this book ( even non dog lovers) cannot help but feel admiration for what you and the lads went through, not only doing a job but the determination for getting the dogs to safety. I wear my Nowzad tops with pride when I am out on my dog walks. Just about to start reading the next book.
on 16 January 2013
I could not put this book down! The book is rich with detail and at times I was in tears when he described the pain of losing comrades and how badly some of the animals are treated. We look to the men and women fighting a terrible battle with pride and words cannot express the admiration that I have fir the ones that not only save human lives, but the animals as well!

I shall be donating to the charity and will urge others to read this wonderful book
on 9 October 2013
I am not a big book reader, and normally a soppy romantic novel type of person, but a friend showed me the Nowzad charity on her facebook page and I felt compelled to read the story behind it being a dog lover. Well I could not put the book down, wanting to know what happened to the dogs and how the marines were living in their compound. I had no idea our marines were and are living like that in Afghanistan and to think as well as trying to keep themselves and the local people safe they had compassion for man's best friend the dog. Pen, his wife, Lisa and everybody who has helped them are truly wonderful, thoughful and compassionate people. The minute I finished this book I downloaded Pen's next book! This book is well written, has humour, personal thoughts, sad and happy moments!
on 2 June 2009
For those of you that want to read a book about suffering, cruelty and despair, then don't buy this book.
If however you want to read a book that inspires, uplifts and restores your faith in human nature, then this is the book for you!
A very dear friend got this book for me after hearing the author interviewed on the radio.
I was dreading reading it as I can't abide animal cruely, however this is not a story of pain and anguish (althought I must admit that several times I read it through tear filled eyes).
This is a story of an incredibly practical man and who oozes humanity and decency who, when he encounters the stray dogs of Afganistan feels the need to do something about the situation.
His humanity and decency is a credit to Britain and especially the British forces (I am not British) His Marine training means that when he identifies a problem he deals with it. His inherent kindness and practicality is apparent throughout the book
What makes this book remarkable is there is not a hint of self congratultory smugness or worse, nor is it a disingenuous self depricating narrative. It is just a Marine giving an account of a job that needed to be done and how he went about tackling it.
This book also gives an insight into the situation the British troops find themselves in in Afganistan. I am ashamed to admit that the news coverage coming from Afganistan just formed part of the general 'barble' of having the radio on all day. After reading this book, the name Afganistan now jumps out and I find myself genuinely saddened by reports of any casualties to British troops.
Buy the book!
on 19 October 2014
I have not stopped thinking about this book and to find out Nowzad passed away in August 2014 was so sad to hear. What a heroe this Pen Farthing is to stand up and be counted for the dogs who have no voice. I have now bought the next two books and tell everyone I know about Nowzad dogs. Its a joy to read.
Fantastic
on 26 May 2014
really enjoyed this book, pen farthing is an amazing human being, who shows us in this book just how hard he works to save the dogs of Afghanistan, its heartbreaking to thinks dogs are treated so cruelly, the book is sad and not all the rescues make it home to there forever home in England, i read this book on holiday and wanted to sell my house to support this amazing man who set up a charity to continue with his great work. i have recommended this book so many times, if your a dog lover you will not be able to put the book down !
on 28 October 2009
This book just has to be read, a wonderful true story about serving in Afghanistan. Excellent insight into the country, the conditions and the dangers our soldiers face. Most of all Pen Farthings care and passion for rescuing the stray dogs that are so cruelly treated. Thank goodness for people like Pen Farthing with the courage and conviction to make a difference. You won't regret this purchase and in our small way we are helping the charity to continue Pen Farthings good work. Highly reccommended.
on 10 January 2015
A fantastic tear jerking read! I was lucky enough to meet Pen with my work as a veterinary nurse. I organised a charity fundraising event to support Nowzad dogs. It if a truly inspirational story and a charity that I will continue to support. A must read!