4.0 out of 5 stars Gorman on another "unexpected" journey
Dave Gorman has effectively created the bloke-meets-challenge genre. Previous escapades have involved searching for namesakes (Are You Dave Gorman?), internet search anomalies (Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure), and brand-free roadtrips (America Unchained).

Published on 7 Oct 2012 by A. Marczak

3.0 out of 5 stars good book
First off, I love Daves other books. I think his writing style is enjoyable and easy to get in to. I think its interesting to see in this book how he his writing has changed and matured from the "Are you Dave Gorman" years.

Published on 17 Jun 2012 by Shelley A. Holmes

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorman on another "unexpected" journey, 7 Oct 2012
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)

Whereas the first of these starts out as a bet, and the third was born out of an idea for a film, the principle behind this book is more similar to "Googlewhack", i.e. Gorman has the spark of an idea and then runs with it, and out the other end comes a book.

But because this is now a tried and tested method, there is always the lingering doubt that it's never as spontaneous as it first appears. "If it's all done off-the-cuff, how does he remember so much about it?" is a question that springs to mind throughout (certainly the beginning of) this book. In fact, there is a whole chapter devoted to his agent and an agency discussing his latest "project" as Gorman looks innocently on, wondering what they could be talking about. I'm not convinced, but I can let that sort of thing slide if the "story" is worth reading.

The writing style is clever enough and funny enough to keep me interested. There is a mix of games that hark back to my childhood, combined with a few new games that I might now seek out and play myself. The book is a mixture of a story of a man trying to fill time while his loved one is away and a nostalgic look back at how people of a certain age used to play board games all the time.

As a writer, I think Gorman is one of the best at what he does. This doesn't capture the imagination like Are You Dave Gorman?, or Danny Wallace's Yes Man or Join Me: The True Story of a Man Who Started a Cult by Accident, but as a trip down memory lane for thriysomething blokes, it'll do just fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, 17 Jun 2012
Shelley A. Holmes (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)

I enjoyed this book, but I felt overall there was something lacking...almost like an excitement or enthusiasm that was evident in his previous work.

I personally didn't find it particuarly gripping. It was enjoyable, and has some lovely stories in, but I find it hard to really rave about it, when I can describe it best as "nice".

Overall, however, I would reccomend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gaming his way around Britain, 22 April 2012
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
"Does anyone play any games? Real life, not computer games. Would you like a game?"

That was what Dave Gorman tweeted to the world and he wasn't short of replies. There's card games, board games, darts and more sport-like games. He meets an assortment of people, gets locked in an attic and plays with lasers.

I like the conversational writing style of Dave and I'm sure I'd enjoy his books on any topic. I did find myself losing a little interest on the poker game but there was plenty of interesting sounding games being played and some odd encounters. He's very keen on darts so he does play this more than once. It might not seem like the most exciting thing to read about but his passion shines through.

I thought it was odd at first that it's been categorised as "travel" but only half of the book is really about games. Dave does travel around Britain and takes note of his surroundings. There are some wonderful snippets about the places he visits, especially the bizarre tradition of Lewes and their bonfires. Travel is partly about meeting people and that is at the heart of the book. Even if some of the people have a screw loose...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, entertaining and wacky as ever, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
As usual, a simple idea turned into an entertaining read, with lots of chortles, a bit of reminiscence along the way and the feeling you are being told the tale in a pub by a lovely friend. Can't beat a Dave Gorman book, always deliver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
Bought for nearly son in law he said it was brilliant, got to say I think I would also enjoy this, I'll have to ask for a borrow

5.0 out of 5 stars dave gorman, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
This was purchased for my son and he thinks it is brilliant, when he has finished it I will be reading it

5.0 out of 5 stars Vitai Lampada, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
What begins as an idle whim develops into a marvellous meander through the world of passionate game players. This book certainly illustrates how liberating playing a good game with friends can be. Here we meet some great characters and many unusual but brilliant but little known games such as Lewes Toad and Smite as well as gong deeper into the world of serious gamers such as those who flock to the "Ultimate" championship. ( frisbee throwing to the uninitiated). Do check out Dave's Subuteo experience in Splott. It is quite surreal!

When Sir Henry Newbolt penned the patriotic poem Vitai Lampada he was reflecting on how game playing in public schools prepared youth stoically for battle. When Dave finally finds himself in a game that has been used purely as a lure by a man who has marked him as someone on the road to perdition for mocking creationism we see a touch of the heroic in the way Dave deals with this unprecedented and frightening experience and it's impact on him.

A light-hearted journey suddenly turned into something far more serious and it took a lot of courage to go out again to a stranger for a game session and another kind of courage to share the experience with readers.

Which all just goes to show how important it is to learn how to lose!

"Play up, play up, and play the game! "

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you Want to Play a Game?, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
The way you react to a statement is all in the context. If Jigsaw asks, "Do you want to play a game?" The chances are you are about to embark on a rather painful experience. If Dave Gorman asks the same things, you are likely to say, "Yes please" as he appears to be a thoroughly nice chap. Gorman is best known for his storytelling stand-up routines, but anyone who has read `Are You Dave Gorman', or `Unchained America' will also know that he is a very amusing writer. His work is usually based around some sort of task or bet that he has made up and to an extent the same things happens with `Dave Gorman vs. The World'.

After finding idle time between arriving at his destination and his gigs, Gorman decided to ask the people of Twitter is they would like to play a game (not computer games). The replies were numerous and led to many new adventures all tracked in this book. Unlike in previous Gorman books the task of playing games is looser and is really an excuse for Gorman to meet new people and make witty remarks on what he finds. He is a master of doing just this. His observational comedy is warm and very amusing. He is also able to structure some great humour; a joke can bubble along for chapters and pop up again with great hilarity.

The one issue with the book is that is lacks structure. Gorman admits that he never planned to go on adventures in gaming and the book feels like this. A series of essays could have worked, or creating a `lad bet' e.g. I will win 100 games before The World. Instead this is a book caught between two stools. Thankfully, these are stools found in the type of pub that you are unlikely to be head-butted in. A very funny amble through Gorman's life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paper Cut and Hero Quest, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
I have been antisipating the delivery of the book and I got to say I was a little disappointed. I should have realised what I was in for as soon as I opened the package the book gave me a paper cut, you know one of those right on the tip that smarts like buggery. Never mind I managed to use the 60" x 60" box that amazon sent the book in as a tourniquet for my finger and I bulldozed my way through the Literature. T'was a very good read but I was slightly disappointed that he never challenged me to a game of Hero Quest. I'd painted all the figures and everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing wander round playing obscure and well known games, 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World (Paperback)
Dave Gorman again pleases with an amusing, well written book about game playing. Well worth the read. Recommended to all.

Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World
Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World by Dave Gorman (Paperback - 12 April 2012)