4.0 out of 5 stars The Hardback is worth the extra £
Published on 8 Mar 2009 by G. HUNT

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet more errors
Along with G Meehan I find the errors irritating having found two more in the first 24 pages.
One is often repeated and may be considered trivial by many - the line from Gray's Elegy (page 18)
The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea,
True, several websites print this version but they may well be just
copies of other sites.
Reputable poetry sites...
Published on 19 Nov 2008 by TT

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hardback is worth the extra £, 8 Mar 2009
G. HUNT (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About England (Hardcover)
I first saw this book in my local bookstore. I really enjoyed flicking through it, particularly my local area and other areas in England I thought I knew well. It has lot's of interesting facts that trivia buffs and those who love local history will enjoy. When i checked it out on amazon i decided to go for the hardback as it is illustrated with lot's of nice photos which add a lot to the paperback version. If you are traveling anywhere in England this is also a really useful reference book. I hope they bring out a similar hardback for Scotland and Wales.

5.0 out of 5 stars i never knew that, 10 Feb 2012
jo9999 (esher, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About England (Hardcover)
arrived well on time in good condition. I gave it as a present and the recipient is very pleased and reading it avidly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I never knew this about England, 8 July 2009
M. H. Farr (Northamptonshire. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About England (Hardcover)
I am frequently amazed by the number of books about the country that I live in and sometimes I can be disappointed with the contents and detail.This one does not disappoint. It does not pretend to be a guide to a county but highlights unusual features or incidents which have occurred there. Some of the incidents are such that most of us would not know of them - they are almost folk lore.

An interesting book: ideal for the coffe table or in the car or caravan, to browse through as you plan your itinerary

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet more errors, 19 Nov 2008
The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea,
True, several websites print this version but they may well be just
copies of other sites.
Reputable poetry sites and Oxford University's Gray archive print the version that also appears in the Oxford Book of English Verse:
The lowing herd wind slowly o'er the lea,

Yes, it does seem odd, but if that's what Gray wrote, that's what should appear.
The editors at the publishers, if not the author, should be capable of spotting this.

A far less trivial error is the statment on page 21 that Terry Pratchett was born in 1945.
If so,why did he and thousands of his fans wait until 2008 to celebrate his 60th birthday?
His being 63 all of a sudden is certainly something I never knew about England.
Haven't gone any further than page 24 but fear the worst if I do. With basic errors such as this how can we trust any statement in the book without looking it up?
Despite the celebrity commendations, think twice before buying.I'm thinking of returning it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Oct 2014
interesting

1.0 out of 5 stars I never knew that about England, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Never Knew That About England (Hardcover)
Recycled the book as it was badly stained with water on the cover and the back and front boards were badly damaged

I Never Knew That About England
I Never Knew That About England by Christopher Winn (Hardcover - 4 Sep 2008)