Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2015
Bought as a joke present for trip to city. Bought smile to her face but Don't think anyone talks like this anymore, apart from in eastenders. Try and talk to man and he probably look at you like you in a foreign language
on 3 December 2009
I bought this for my mum who although she's a cockney from a long line of cockneys hasnt lived there for a long time and with all the older generations gone who knew all the old slang she's found that she's forgotten a lot of it. It gives the etymology of the words as well as new ones that have come into use. A very interesting book.
on 17 February 2011
i use quite a bit of rhyming slang in my everyday life...so now i have my slang dictionary.and very funny it is.
on 22 August 2013
Having lived in London with a Berkshire accent it didn't take long before my accent became almost cockney (Not by design) I have often been teased so now I get back at the teasers by using Rhyming Slang. We have a good laugh.
on 25 October 2013
Yes it covers must of my knowledge of cockney language gathered from my own Mother who was born in the East End within the sound of Bow Bells. It also has many new sayings brought in because we are now in the 21st century with all the new names of the past 50 years and more. A good book to browse through perhaps on a train journey travelling to Euston !
on 28 September 2009
Idea gift for friends abroad, I brought it for a few Canadian friends and they all found it hilarious.
on 10 September 2014
This is a delightful book, which explains the substantial vocabulary of Cockneys. For insider knowledge of a cheeky, irreverent people, you cannot go wrong with this book. Breezy, bright and packed with information, this is a delightful, cheerful expose of a closed culture.

Kudos to Amazon.co.uk, which made this book available at a reasonable price.
on 10 November 2015
NOT A GUIDE TO THE MORE TRADITIONAL COCKNEY RHYMING SLANG, WHICH I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED. IT IS EXTREMELY MODERN AND DEFINITELY NOT FOR CHILDREN AS THERE ARE A LOT OF SWEAR WORDS AND SEXUALLY EXPLICIT SLANG USED. PERHAPS THERE SHOULD BE A WARNING ON THE COVER ABOUT THIS. WILL NOW HAVE TO PURCHASE ANOTHER BOOK MORE SUITABLE FOR SHARING THE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS DYING LANGUAGE WITH MY CHILDREN, WHICH WAS MY PRIMARY OBJECTIVE FROM THE START.
on 15 January 2014
I bought this book as a Christmas present for my husband who is a Londoner. We like to use cockney rhyming slang when appropriate and the family enjoy working out the clues. When I was teaching English my classes enjoyed learning about the history of the language and spent hilarious lessons writing essays in Cockney. The book size is useful for carrying around, especially for teachers, and the price is excellent.
on 30 June 2015
bought this for my husband i have never seen him read a book but never put this down. it was bought as was talking to someone about cockney sayings this book has it all great buy and great for a laugh even my kids got some .