4.0 out of 5 stars A great story, and hard to put down!
Published on 14 May 2009 by Natalie Hansen

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle
Quite a good story. I did expect a more fun element to the tale. A good read though. I Liked.it
Published 9 months ago by lyngos

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story, and hard to put down!, 14 May 2009
Natalie Hansen (Finchley, London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Hardcover)
Julian Clary, welcome back! Devil in Disguise is a terrific story about Molly and Simon, and their journey from how they came to be friends, the events leading to their big fall out, and the rest I won't spoil for you. The story starts to gain momentum and takes shape with the introduction of Lilia Delvard, an eccentric landlady whose fame and star quality has long gone supernova.

Even though there are characters that are somewhat grotesque in their own unique way, you can't help but feel empathy, anger or even pity for them. This novel really does show off JC's talent for making very different characters feel realistic and very 3-Dimensional, as well as his flair for storytelling.

The style of the novel is definately not as much sleaze-fest, or as in-your-face when it comes to sex compared to his previous work, as he is writing through they eyes of 2 very different people. However, this still retains his deliciously wicked sense of humour, and delivery of observations, no matter how subtle - He even manages to send himself up a little, which is a very nice touch!

Although this is a huge improvement on his first novel, and you can tell a lot more thought has gone into this - it doesn't feel quite there yet - there a couple of things that just need that little bit of tuning, in my opinion. If, like me, you read the synopsis just to know what you are buying, it almost gives the entire plot away (okay, the first 2 parts)! Unfortunately, like in Murder Most Fab, the final part of the story and conclusion, although satisfying, feels rushed - it could have been executed a little better.

That said, the above points do not take much enjoyment away from the novel - I was reading this until half 3 in the morning last night - I couldn't put it down until I had finished. I had to have my curiosity sated as to what price would anyone put on fame and success, and after all is said and done, what price can friends place on their own self redemption?

4.0 out of 5 stars Julian Clary in Disguise ?, 27 Aug 2011
Mr. Ct Kent "clintyK" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Paperback)
Right from offset of this novel the voice is distinctly Julian Clary (and let's face it, that is probably what attracted most people to this book) and he, surprisingly, manages to set up an interesting story - when he gets away from the camp nonsense and off-putting celebrity name-dropping that is - that draws you further into a mesmerising intricate web weaved by the colourful characters.

Molly is the ultimate bubbly fag-hag and is cherished by the Clary narrative. Simon, her over-sexed homosexual best friend, on the other hand, is not a very sympathetic person at all and gets most of the dry one-liners, and cutting put-downs mostly associated with the man from Sticky Moments. It is very 'telling' how Simon finds himself on the comedy circuit and manages to launch himself into a stage career, based not only on being camp, but mostly by being extremely sarcastic/vile to the general public through the use of a persona, that makes the reader draw an uncomfortable parallel to the author. It brings a strange realization to the fore ; one, of course, likes Julian Clary (or else why buy the book?), but the Simon, who echos the presence of Julian on the page, is utterly revolting.

Thank goodness for the introduction of Lilia. The landlady with ambition, imagination, a rottweiler and an incredibly ruthless streak, whom brings a touch of the Arch-Villainess (a la Alexis Carrington-Colby from Dynasty)to play that really cements your fingers to the pages.

Without wishing to give too much away, it is the 'affair' between Molly's fiance, Daniel, and her BF Simon, which acts as the catalyst bringing about the pivotal actions in Devil in Disguise. We get to discover what happens in the aftermath to Molly - her meteoric (and quite enjoyably unbelievable) rise to fame, Simon - his fight with alcoholism and sex-addiction, and Lilia - her controlling, cruel, yet somehow fabulous behaviour which leads to a satisfyingly dramatic climax. Only Daniel, the one time love of Molly's life, NEVER gets mentioned again, and leaves a loose end that I felt needed tying up, if only to satisfy myself that he went on to suitably regret his dastardly actions.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The story was quite gripping and fast paced - especially with the deliciously devilish Lilia dominating matters - but I must say occasionally the odd flippant remark, quip or comment made by a character would detract from the story, to remind you it was being written by Julian Clary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good read!!, 17 Jun 2009
Martin Belcher (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Hardcover)
This is my first Julian Clary fiction novel, I have read his biography but have not read "murder most fab" yet.

What can I say, a magnificent, emotional, bitchy, laugh out loud, tragic story of Molly and Simon and their rather hap hazard relationships, their alter egos: Genita L'Warts and Mia Delvard are incredibly well thought out and multi dimensional characters. I just love this book, it had me reading well into the night and I just could not put it down. Well done Julian, fantastic novel and i'm definitely going to read Murder Most Fab now!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Hardcover)
after reading the first book, i was eagerly awaiting this new release. i wasn't disappointed. fantastic read and i couldn't put it down. laughed out loud on the tube to word and got funny looks, nearly cried at points, good twists, turns and emotions. can't wait for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start, but worth reading, 10 Aug 2010
K. Mcdougall "keithmc" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book is divided into two parts and the first part is very slow and at times I wanted to give up but am very pleased I didn't. The second part is when the story really gets going and I found the book hard to put. As the story unravels the reader can see what is happening which makes you read faster to reveal the outcome.

A very exciting thriller which I really enjoyed suited for anyone from their late teens upwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 20 May 2009
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Hardcover)
I enjoyed Julian Clary's first novel 'Murder Most Fab', but for me this second novel is on a different level.

Within the first few pages you are sucked into the character's worlds, and that for me is the books major triumph, as Julian is able to create his characters within the space of a few lines, and I'm sure I won't be alone in putting the faces of people I actually know to the people in the book!

The tale is told at a speedy pace, there isn't one page in this book where you think he's just trying to fill pages, in fact it could have done with being a lot longer to cover more of Mia's story, but maybe that's for the future.......

This novel would make a great film, it would be a very English film however, so maybe other territories wouldn't really get a lot of the humour, but it would be a visual treat.

Anyway, whether you want an entertaining easy read with good character development, or just another slice of sleaze Julian Clary style, you won't be disappointed!

Recommended 100%.

4.0 out of 5 stars Devil of a good read, 23 Jan 2010
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Hardcover)
The Devil in disguise sees Mr Clary in a more poignant, thoughtful mood. There are less situations that bring a smile to the lips or a laugh out loud moment as happened when reading "Murder most fab" his first novel.

It is still a difficult book to put down once started. I couldn't wait to see what dispicable acts Lilia will ask Molly to do in her quest for fame and fortune, and who will Simon sleep with next?

I would have liked more detail about the clubs Simon frequented and the people he met. I loved how Mr Clary drew on his own experiences when describing Simon's alter ego performing on stage.

The Devil in disguise is well written, full of suspence and humour. It has a wonderful twist at the end that left me wanting more. I personally can't wait until the next book is published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, but needs more Clarey., 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Hardcover)
An improvement on his first novel (which I enjoyed), Devil in Disguise was great fun and sees Julian Clarey starting to take shape as a writer. However, once again I was left thinking that when selling a book on the celebrity of someone who is known for their comedy, I expect the book to be funny. Now I'm not saying it isn't funny - it is, wonderfully so...in parts - it's just that once again, I expected something more. It also suffered from the same sudden ending syndrome of his last book. This sudden ending I have seen in several celebrity novels and I suspect comes from writing not being their day job and a publisher pressuring them for deadline.

Despite it being the story of Simon and Molly, two old friends from uni, I found myself more interested in Lilia Delvard, the landlady. I also found the Genita L'Warts persona a bit tired (if you want a story with real drag queen bite try Dial M for Mascara) and expected more from Julian here as he must have worked with enough larger than life cabaret characters over the years to be able to draw on some genuine inspiration. All that said, I look forward to what Mr Clarey comes up with next. I'd just like to see more of him in his writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as Murder Most Fab, 20 Jan 2010
S. Taylor (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Hardcover)
I eagerly awaited this book after reading Julian Clary's first book Murder Most Fab. Although this book doesn't disappoint, I didn't find it as funny as the last one. However, once again Julian Clary manages to draw you into the book and the characters and throws in a nice twist to the plot at the end.

Would recommend the book, especially if you enjoyed the first one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Devil in Disguise (Kindle Edition)

Devil in Disguise
Devil in Disguise by Julian Clary (Paperback - 10 Jun 2010)