5.0 out of 5 stars Camping - the filthy truth exposed
There are two kinds of people who will enjoy this book; those who go camping and those who don't.
In many ways, you might say that Emma Kennedy is an ambassadeur for camping in the same way that Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is for McDonalds, but it isn't as simple as that. The book is written from the perspective of a little girl who had no option but to be taken...
Published on 20 Mar 2009 by Peter Sharpe

3.0 out of 5 stars it's 'OK'
Bought this book following a recommendation from a friend. It's OK but a bit lightweight and it struggles to hold my attention. Probably ok if your stuck in a tent in the rain but otherwise there's too many other interesting books to read to waste time on this one.
Published on 16 Mar 2011 by sanshe

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 24 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest books I have ever read, 8 July 2010
D. Wright (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
Well written and hysteriacally funny, this book contains the author's recollections of camping holidays as a child. Her descriptions are wonderful and so vivid that you feel that you are seeing them first hand Do not read on public transport as it is laugh out loud funny.I will be looking for more books by Emma Kennedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, Memories !!, 6 July 2010
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
Saw this book advertised on a poster on the undergroud and knew I had to have it, I have purchased it to read on holiday but could not resist a little sneak at it straight away - it's hysterical.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 30 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
You know when you read theatre reviews and the critics say stuff like - "I laughed till I cried,we were rolling in the aisles,laugh a minute ?
Well this the written version of all that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed till I cried, 24 Jun 2010
Ms. K. Phillips "KitKat" (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
Being the same age as Emma Kennedy, and also raised in Stevenage during the seventies, and also being forced to spend most holidays in a caravan I laughed till I cried at this book. My only complaint was the sometimes unnecessary language. But on the whole I would thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Impulse Buy of My Year, 17 Jun 2010
I bought this at the railway station having forgotten to bring my Lynda La Plante and I can't go on a long train journey without a book. I expected a gently amusing read, I did NOT expect a read that totally destroyed my pseudo-posh image as I sat in first class and snorted out loud. Beautifully written, incredibly funny and very very warm. I could hear the Welsh voices as I read, recall those simple childhood pleasures like looking backwards out of the car window and even smell the revolting buckets. I am 3/4 of the way through this book and have loved every page. I genuinely don't want it to end. Fabulous - and totally deserves that 'laugh aloud funny' tag. Because I have!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant wet your pants with laughing book, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
Thoroughly brilliant book by Emma Kennedy. I have never ever laughed to loud and so long and so hard. The bucket, unusual french smoking habits and Spam are described in glorious details. I want to meet Brenda and Tony!!

5.0 out of 5 stars supertastic!, 8 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
I was bought this book for my recent birthday and prior to a camping trip I was about to make. My only disappointment in the book was that I read it too quickly, (2 days to be precise) it was one of the best reads Ive had in a long time, anecdotal, reminiscent of my own childhood, I was laughing out loud much to the amusement of my partner and I ended up reading extracts aloud! I have recommended it to many friends and its currently on loan to my mother (who was so much like Brenda its uncanny) fully recommend it for any 30 something who remembers the 70's
it'll bring tears to your eyes!!!! (of laughter of course)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 5 Jun 2010
Michelle Gill (Deal, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
Not a book to read on a packed commuter train as you will look mad trying to stifle your laughs, with tears pouring down your cheeks! Definitely worth the hype as it is a fantastic read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 5 Jun 2010
This is a fantastic read, Emmas parents are legendary and this is the best book I have read this year.
I would agree with everyone else who has given this a 5 star review and the very fact that the good reviews outweigh the bad reviews by a considerable margin only confirms the humour contained within!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to cheer you up and make you laugh, 16 May 2010
This review is from: The Tent, the Bucket and Me (Paperback)
You dont have to have experienced camping to enjoy this saga of family holidays. It actually makes you laugh out aloud. I shared it in a book club and we all found it hilarious. Every year this unfortunate family have a holiday from hell , one way or another. It remains me of my childhood with references to the 1970's. Excellent !

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 24 | Next ›

The Tent, the Bucket and Me
The Tent, the Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy (Paperback - 29 April 2010)
5.51