5.0 out of 5 stars Well - I never knew that!
Great book - worth buying to pick up and put down for a while and then pick up again! I never knew there was a book as nice as this about the English and our ways, customs and accomplishments.
Published on 5 April 2011 by J. Manson

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but biased and filled with mistakes
Compiling facts and trivia about England and the English people is a great idea for a book. Actually it is quite a page turner, easy to read and enjoyable. I would deserve 4 or 5 stars had it not been for two things.

Published on 20 Jan 2012 by Wilmington

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but biased and filled with mistakes, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: I Never Knew That About the English (Hardcover)

First, there are plenty of factual mistakes and exaggerations. Here are examples just in the Lancashire section. Liverpool Cathedral is not "the largest cathedral in the whole of Christendom after St. Peter's in Rome" (p.154). Whether you calculate in area, volume or capacity, there are at least five larger cathedrals, including Seville Cathedral, Milan Cathedral and St. John the Divine in New York. On p.152 it says that John of Gaunt got his name "from his birthplace, the Dutch city of Ghent". Ghent is a Belgian city, or historically a Flemish one, but certainly not a Dutch one.

Secondly, I found the author to be quite biased in his selection, giving unwarranted importance to people and places linked to Christianity (3 pages on John Bunyan, 3 pages on St George, 2 pages on St Cuthbert, 2 pages on John and Charles Wesley, and 2-3 pages on major cathedrals and abbeys) and what appears to be his personal interests (horse races and cricket), but concedes very little space to prominent English scientists. There is not even an entry for Isaac Newton, let alone other great names of the Royal Society ! Only Darwin gets mentioned, but Mr Winn didn't think he deserved more space than Derby Day or Grand National.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well - I never knew that!, 5 April 2011
J. Manson "Ah'll si thi!" (York, England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars ok out dated, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: I Never Knew That About the English (Hardcover)
to say this is quite a modern book its out dated with places like westmoreland and cumberland old place names for now cumbria(the lake district) othes parts are very interesting but alot of the information is very basic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 27 July 2009
E. KINANE (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About the English (Hardcover)
An absolutely wonderful book. For the price I was expecting a soft back edition but its a hard back. It is full of wonderful information and makes you appreciate what a fascinating place England is.

5.0 out of 5 stars '''Unknown Info worth knowing''', 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: I Never Knew That About the English (Hardcover)
I just love this book......Very very interesting. Loved the piece about Claridges Hotel that they leave a bar of their own designer soap by the entrance for a certain foul mouthed chef to wash out his mouth before entering. Lots of other funny stories besides that one. Only wanted to read a little of this book to write my review but ended up reading most of it. Highly highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars I Never Knew That About the English, 17 July 2009
Mrs. T. M. Chambers (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew That About the English (Hardcover)
I was very satisfied with the book and pleased that it arrived in time for Father's Day so I could wrap it for my husband. Book in excellent condition. Many thanks. TC

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, but nothing to rave about., 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: I Never Knew That About the English (Hardcover)
It's ok,but nothing to rave about.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 14 Nov 2014
pleased with the item

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Dec 2014
Great gift idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Oct 2014
interesting

I Never Knew That About the English
I Never Knew That About the English by Christopher Winn (Hardcover - 4 Sep 2008)