Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 September 2009
Well-presented and good portion-sized book but it's not your everyday staple. It's good if you're bored with jacket potatoes and sandwiches or your staple personal 'specials', or if you like to plan your week's meals then go food shopping. But unless you tend to have a stock of out of the ordinary ingredients it's not one to pick up when you're stumped for ideas and starving, wanting to make something there and then. Very few healthy options and no healthy-option tips. Will keep the book though don't see myself opening it unless I want to cook something nice for my fiance and will double up portion sizes.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 December 2009
I am a vegetarian but my husband is not. I like cooking but have tended to cook fairly standard fare for him. This book does have few vegetarian recipes but has lots of meat, fish & seafood recipes. There are separate chapters for breakfast, snacks, meat & poultry, fish & seafood, vegetarian, desserts & puddings. The meat, fish and vegetarian meals get two chapters each, the first for quick meals, the second covering recipes which take a little longer to prepare.

What I think is great is that the recipes show that cooking for one need not be about endless bowls of pasta or baked potatoes or supermarket ready meals. This is much more adventurous, although not necessarily more complicated, cooking for those who are interested in producing something that is not run of the mill. Just to give you a flavour of the recipes here are a few examples: crab & chilli linguine, grilled sea bass with caper & orange butter, duck in green peppercorn sauce, pork chop with orange, chicken thighs with coconut & almonds, slow cooked lamb, loin of lamb with parmesan & basil crust. In addition there are recipes for pheasant breast, quail, scallops, even grouse. I don't suppose I'll use those that often but they will be useful for special meals.
on 12 June 2009
This is the long-awaited new take on cooking for singletons. There are plenty of books out there for quick and easy single recipes but nothing for those that love to cook and experiment, want a special meal for themselves without having to wrestle with fractional menus or even a practise run for entertaining without having to cook dinner for 4. For a nation inspired by celebrity chefs and hours of TV shows showing how others produce the 'perfect plate of food' now we know how to do it for ourselves!
on 18 February 2013
I was a little hesitant to buy this book as, generally, I like to see what I'm meant to be cooking! I'm glad I bought it though. This is one of the few 'cooking for one' type books which actually thinks about how difficult it is to shop for one. lots of these books just take standard recipes and scale them down to single portions, meaning you buy a whole pot of cream, just for a spoonful. What are you supposed to do with the rest? This book helps with that problem by trying to pick ingredients you can buy in small quantities. I bought it secondhand and it arrived in immaculate condition.
on 4 May 2010
This is a good addition to the cooking for one repertoire. I'm no expert in the kitchen, though consider myself sufficiently competent to get by. So I was a little unsure how well I'd get on with this book which is clearly not for beginners. But having tried a few of the recipes I found them fairly straightforward, they tasted good and will be used again - my mark of success in a recipe book. I would have preferred a bit more information on the size of baking dish suggested - most of my culinary disasters have been to do with not using the appropriate size! And I would appreciate some more cross-referencing on how to use up bits of ingredients in other recipes - one of the major problems of cooking for one. All in all I'm glad I bought this book as it will broaden and liven up my repertoire.
on 15 June 2009
Loved this book. Written with imagination and flair, not the usual one-pot efforts that are good enough for singletons. No, flowers on the table should be de rigueur,plus a beautiful glass of wine. These recipes are gorgeous, enjoy!
on 2 June 2009
I made a resolution recently to cut down on ready meals, but I am not a good or experienced cook, and I only have myself to cook for, so I thought this book would be a godsend. I was wrong. Am I really going to cook "Roasted Quail with Rosemary and Quince"? Do I really want to make "Roast Grouse with Orange and Juniper" or "Calves' Sweetbreads in Cream Sauce"? I think not. In future, if I want to cook something myself I will stick to scrambled eggs or the good old jacket potato. And if I have to cook anything else - well, isn't that why God invented Marks and Spencer>
on 1 March 2013
Excellent recipes, simple to follow and great cooking made easy
I would recommend this to anyone whether single or not.
on 17 March 2013
For anyone living on their own or a student this book is full of clear easy to follow recipesand helpful tips
on 1 September 2014
Got this for my mother-in-law she loved it