5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Pleasure, 28 Oct. 2009
Robin (Chichester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Driver: True Life Adventures of an Underground Road Racer (Paperback)
An awesome tale of one man's obsession with breaking 'The Wall' - the 32:07 record for driving from New York to LA. I was left with a strange sense of respect for a man who was willing to risk so much for a record that very few people know anything about. The narrative is gripping and, as the story progresses I was unable to put it down. One of the individuals in the book is releasing a documentary film soon chronicling the original 32:07 record and also covering Alex Roy's latest attempt. I won't spoil it by telling you if he broke it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into a Road Rally expert, 6 May 2012
Really great read. For those who've seen the Gumball Rally 2003 DVD, this adds a lot of background to what Alex Roy is all about. Can't believe the effort he made to try and break the coast to coast fastest time. A real insight into road rally drivers; what motivates them and drives them on. The relentless pursuit of Team Polizei's BMW M5 by Spencer Bourne in the Porsche 911 during the 2005 Gumball Rally was incredible and well written into this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining but strangely written, 24 Nov. 2013
A lot of weird typos "Europe an" and "in de pen dent". Some sentences need reading many times before they make sense. The author needs to fire his editor.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have wanted to do this for 30 years - this is very inspirational, 22 Jun. 2013
Since I was a boy, introduced to the Cannonball Run by Burt Reynolds, I've wanted to do this. Time and politics have moved on, and it's no longer "fun" to attempt this, as the implications of getting caught have become so serious. Still, where records exist there will be people wanting to break them.

I've never even been to America but the allure of this coast-to-coast run is impossible to ignore. In the UK I could only manage a LEJOG at ~700 miles which I could manage in a day, and Europe comes with fairly serious implications like a night in jail (Spain) or total loss and crushing of your car. Plus too many languages making it hard to sweet-talk your way out of the above.

For years I've been plotting the best way to try the US coast-to-coast, taking notes from Brock Yates' book and his Ambulance, to the Gumball Rally (an attempt to portray the fun of the "good old days" without sped-up film footage - take note Mr Reynolds). All I've come away with is this... the time has past when this is even possible now.

Alex Roy proves me wrong in this book. His OCD towards his preparation, lists of things to do, and kit/gadgets exceeds my own, as does (sadly) his budget. But this is a great read - very inspirational for someone like me who has to try this one day.

My problem now is that I think his Polizei car idea cannot be beaten. Maybe I should just bring something typically British across the pond and see if I can "smarm" my way out of trouble by wearing a tuxedo and affecting a Roger Moore accent? Americans love the British accent, don't they? ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Car lovers book, 12 Dec. 2012
Fantastic book Learnt a lot about the real gumball drivers.
One of the best books I've read on my kindle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Aug. 2011
This is such a gripping read, really exciting & great fun. I absolutely could not put it down, i read it almost in one sitting. A must read for any petrolhead. Contains some great behind the scenes narrative to the Gumball rallies. Grab a copy, its superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want to finish it, 6 Jan. 2014
An excellent book for any keen driver. Very well written with the author really making you feel the tension and the excitement. This was one of those books that I really didn't want to finish and will definitely be re-reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The fastest book I have ever read, 13 Feb. 2015
Being a bit of a petrol head, I found this book highly involving. I think this the the fastest I have ever read a book (no pun intended). Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars for all car fanatics, 2 Sept. 2013
H. Price - See all my reviews
Brought this for my son who read it (i think) within 24 hours!! as a fan of drifting and fast and furious films, he really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Sept. 2014
great service, great book ,many thanks

The Driver: True Life Adventures of an Underground Road Racer
The Driver: True Life Adventures of an Underground Road Racer by Alexander Roy (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2009)