4.6 out of 5 stars1,059
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 May 2004
My husband & I purchased this book on the advice of our health visitor and have not looked back since. The daunting task of weaning our son (he is our first) was made very simple by following the sensible & practical advice about nutrition & the introduction of new foods to babies & toddlers Annabel Karmel offers.
By starting our son slowly on baby rice for the first two weeks as suggested & then gradually introducing more adventurous foods, we now have a healthy, lively & energetic 19 month old, who eats everything that is placed in front of him with no fuss.
The recipes ranging from 'Lovely Lentils, Baked Sweet Potato & Orange' to 'Fillets of Fish in Cheese sauce' have meant that our son has been eating balanced & nutritious meals without additives or preservatives since he was four months old.
The meal planners are invaluable, saving time when there is little by having a weekly straight forward outline that is simple to follow. Freezing recommendations & portion guidelines have halved the time spent in the kitchen as favourite recipes can be stored for use at a later date & we get to spend more time with our son.
For our son's 1st birthday all the dishes were made using this cookbook and the adults loved the variety of food on offer as much as the children. Some family favourites are 'Chicken with cornflakes' & 'My favourite pasta with broccoli'
I highly recommend this book as a first recipe book for parents facing the weaning process.
55 comments|259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2008
I bought this book on the recommendation of so many mums, and it was a great help to get started through the minefield of weaning - I found the first and second stage recipes a great help, although some of the second stage ones are a bit too similar.

Unfortunately, having now reached the 9-12 month section, I'm finding it a bit less useful. The recipes still seem to be based around creating a purée, when my 9-month old is quite happy with lumps and likes finger food. I was also very surprised to see the 9-12 month menu planner with milk feeds 5 times a day, and had hoped for some direction in reducing these.

I notice Amazon package this book with the 100-purée book - having bought one and borrowed the other from the library, I'd say the content is about 90% the same, so save your pennies and just buy one!
33 comments|326 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2013
A really disappointing book. If you cook at home and eat reasonably healthy you will be puzzled by the idea of giving mayo and sugar to your baby. Most recipes are so basic that they barely qualify for a recipe. If your baby is at the first stage of weaning, then you really don't need to buy a book to know that you can whiz peas and courgettes together for your child. I have recently bought a family cookbook with wholesome everyday recipes for the whole family, including babies and toddlers, and it is much better than Karmel's. I would recommend buying a good cookbook and modifying the recipes to suit your baby.
on 21 February 2008
i was at my wits end as to trying to get my toddler to eat anything ! this book gave me lots of new ideas and got her back on track with her eating habits.
on 16 November 2005
Very helpful, straight forward book with yummy recipes that you want to cook for yourself and puree some for your baby! I've seen this on lots of bookcases, it's a must.
on 4 December 2006
I bought this book for the recipes so the weaning advice came as a pleasant surprise. This book has been my saving grace, my daughter loves the recipes and she's usually a picky eater. There's a good balance of meat and non-meat based recipes without compromising nutrition. If you only buy one book of baby and toddler recipes this should be it.
on 2 May 2007
This book is an absolute must have. The recipes are very easy to follow, and my son has enjoyed nearly every one. A lot of the recipes are great for the whole family as well which makes life a lot easier. It has fantastic tips on nutrition and how to ensure your baby has the correct balanced diet and totally takes the mystery out of making your own baby food. I would recommend it to anyone.
on 21 October 2011
I have a 14 month old (first child) and have been using this book since he was 9 months old for ideas of what to make. I have to say it has been very handy but I don't use it much now. TBH I would only buy one of Annabel's books as they are all pretty similar (I have 3) and nowadays as I have signed up to her facebook page I just use the free recipies she posts on there. Well worth a read though and you may use it a few times until you kind of get used to what you are doing.
on 21 October 2003
This is a good book, with step by step instructions on how to make what foods for each month.
Reviews from Amazon.com.uk inform me that quite a number of have trouble finding the "Mouli" that Annabel talked about in her book. Well, I found it... and quite easily I must add. I bought mine Chefgadget.com for ~ US$26. A mouli is also a type of Food Mill. Check this URL out: [...]
The picture is identical to the Mouli Annabel talked about on page 17.
Cheers.
Well done Annabel. I borrowed your book from a friend who recommended it to me. It has fed her 3 children with great enthusiasm. I now intend buying my own copy as it has become indespensible to me. My 5 month old hasn't refused any of the dishes, and particularly enjoys the Leek Quartet and the mixed fruit. (So do my husband and I!! It's so tempting to leave a little out as a reward for hungry parents when the cooking's done)I bought the book you wrote specifically for M&S and it has given me very good guidelines for feeding her.Good Luck.