5.0 out of 5 stars A must for parents facing the weaning process!!
My husband & I purchased this book on the advice of our health visitor and have not looked back since. The daunting task of weaning our son (he is our first) was made very simple by following the sensible & practical advice about nutrition & the introduction of new foods to babies & toddlers Annabel Karmel offers.
By starting our son slowly on baby rice for the first...
Published on 27 May 2004 by yvettekitto

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting started
I bought this book on the recommendation of so many mums, and it was a great help to get started through the minefield of weaning - I found the first and second stage recipes a great help, although some of the second stage ones are a bit too similar.

Published on 16 Dec 2008 by Curly Girly

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for parents facing the weaning process!!, 27 May 2004
By starting our son slowly on baby rice for the first two weeks as suggested & then gradually introducing more adventurous foods, we now have a healthy, lively & energetic 19 month old, who eats everything that is placed in front of him with no fuss.
The recipes ranging from 'Lovely Lentils, Baked Sweet Potato & Orange' to 'Fillets of Fish in Cheese sauce' have meant that our son has been eating balanced & nutritious meals without additives or preservatives since he was four months old.
The meal planners are invaluable, saving time when there is little by having a weekly straight forward outline that is simple to follow. Freezing recommendations & portion guidelines have halved the time spent in the kitchen as favourite recipes can be stored for use at a later date & we get to spend more time with our son.
For our son's 1st birthday all the dishes were made using this cookbook and the adults loved the variety of food on offer as much as the children. Some family favourites are 'Chicken with cornflakes' & 'My favourite pasta with broccoli'
I highly recommend this book as a first recipe book for parents facing the weaning process.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting started, 16 Dec 2008
This review is from: Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner (Hardcover)

Unfortunately, having now reached the 9-12 month section, I'm finding it a bit less useful. The recipes still seem to be based around creating a purée, when my 9-month old is quite happy with lumps and likes finger food. I was also very surprised to see the 9-12 month menu planner with milk feeds 5 times a day, and had hoped for some direction in reducing these.

I notice Amazon package this book with the 100-purée book - having bought one and borrowed the other from the library, I'd say the content is about 90% the same, so save your pennies and just buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book I used for weaning, 18 Aug 2007
S. L. Bradley (UK) - See all my reviews
Found this book so good I used nothing else to get my son onto solids. Plenty of variety in the purees and there were very few that my son didn't like. There are plenty of the first stage weaning recipes which give you good ideas for older children (eg I sneak courgettes into mashed potato thanks to the excellent courgette gratin)

I started using lots more recipe books as we moved from baby to toddler, as I find most of the toddler recipes in this one are a bit bland for my husband and I. I'd say it's not to be considered a family recipe book (I don't think it intends to be either as Annabel has a separate family recipe book out!)

Baby 2 is on the way and I will be relying on this book again.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not so keen, 13 Aug 2006
Caterina (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The book has a general introduction, then sections on first stage and second stage weaning, 9-12 months, and toddlers. In the first stage weaning section there are 4 seven day meal planners. In subsequent sections there are seven day meal planners. There is also general information in each section.

I found the general information useful and interesting. But - to my own surprise - despite this I am not very keen on the book and would not recommend it as "the only weaning book you will ever need". I see it more as being a useful back-up. There are three reasons for this.

First, I didn't find that the section on first stage weaning provided me with enough information and guidance. I was very nervous about weaning, and really wanted something which gave much more information about suggested feeding amounts. As a result I tended to rely much more on Gina Ford's weaning book.

Second, I don't feel entirely confident about the protein content in some of the main meal recipes. My understanding is that a baby aged between 9 and 12 months needs about 50g animal protein a day - but the meat and fish meal servings here just don't seem to me to provide anything like this amount. Maybe I'm missing something - but I don't want to have to worry about this.

Third - I found that my baby absolutely refused to eat a very high proportion of Annabel's recipes, particularly the vegetable ones. I don't think this is just because he is a fussy eater - because he really isn't. He just gobbles up the recipes from other books without any complaints. But Annabel's are surprisingly unpopular. I'm not sure why this might be. The only thing I can think of is that many of the recipes are very simple - perhaps they have been over-simplified? Or perhaps my baby is just an odd-ball!

Anyway, the end result is that I used the Gina Ford weaning book as my weaning bible, and flicked through this one a bit for fruit and breakfast recipes. The fruit recipes I must say are delicious. But I'm not so keen on the rest of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 24 Sep 2006
I have used this book a considerable amount. My son is now 9 months old and he has liked almost all of the dishes cooked. The only fault i can find is that my son has a cows milk protein allergy and a lot of the fish based recipes, and some others, include milk or cheese. This has caused me some difficulties when cooking for my son as the book gives no alternative advice or instructions. As a result I have had to miss out several recipes that I could have cooked for the whole family.

Despite this, I was clueless about weaning until I purchased this book and the Top 100 baby purees, also by Annabel Karmel and I can strongly recommend both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Baby and toddler Book, 7 July 2006
C Lyons "SAHM Swanage" (Swanage-United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this when my daughter was ready for weaning and have pulled it out again 4 years later. It helped me to be more confident in what I fed her and when. I don't see much point in bottled food when this shows you just how easy, and inexpensive it is to make your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just fantastic!, 10 April 2008
Debster (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
I have follwed the older version of this book avidly from beginning weaning my daughter at 5 months to where wer`re at now (9 and a half mths).
I have kept renewing this new edition (updated with current feeding guidelines and better recipe ideas)from the library so often that Im going to have to buy my own copy now as I`m not sure how many more "loans" I can get out of it!
But seriously, I really recommend it and all the mums I know use it daily too.
It`s got great ideas on how to start weaning and how to move babes through new foods and textures, ace recipe ideas, meal planners (which balance their diets for you - meaning one less thing to stress about) so all you have to do, is sort out a mass shopping, batch cooking and freezing session once a month! (Which is hard work -but well worth it..becoming a mum certainly forces you to become more organised.)
Then with a freezer full of good home cooked meals you can relax and just sort out fresh (unfreezable) breakfasts each day!!

One update to this edition, is the addition of which recipes are actually safe to freeze, among other good suggestions.

Get it, u wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my baby food Bible!, 22 Sep 2001
What a great book. I was recommended this book by two separate friends and have been delighted by it. I am a competant cook but have no previous knowledge about quantities for babies or when to give them what - this has answered all my questions and provided me with great recipes that really work. If you are a first time mum with some time spare to make your own baby food ( usually cheaper, healthier and more tasty) then this must be the book for you. It is well laid out and quick and easy to reference. As the cover suggests, it really is full of great recipes- my daughter and friends' children have hardly turned any down. The week by week planners as general guides to quantities is handy - but not to take too literally. There is also a useful list of what to give a baby and when to introduce it safely into their diet. If you want to buy one straightforward, no fuss cookbook that will cater for your baby into childhood - this is it. Trust me - I'm a mum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - a must for new mums, 6 Dec 2005
D. Abbey (Haverhill, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book has been absolutely brilliant in helping me to introduce all kinds of food to my baby who is now nearly 10 months old ( I am still using it). Whilst I am a keen cook and have commom sense, when it comes to feeding babies I was not sure on how adventurous I could be. This book has given me total confidence and some great ideas and my baby has not yet refused any kind of food I have given her. By the way, you do not have to be an advanced cook to use this book.It really makes you think about texture and flavour and avoids your baby having pureed pear for months as some other books suggest. A must have in the kitchen and in baby's tummy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner, 9 Mar 2009
Amy Bohan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by a number of friends with babies and in fact I borrowed the previous edition from a friend. Wanting to have my own I bought the new edition online but I'm not sure that the extra money on the new edition, the only difference being the picturs and layout was worth it, the contents are the same as far as I can see.
As for the contents of the book, it is indeed very good, especially for a first time mum. My only complaint is that I actually feel there aren't enough receipes...for the 1st and 2nd stage weaning at least. I started weaning my son at 5 months so he was on the first stage until 7 months (as recommended in the book). I tried nearly all the receipes but would have liked a few more given he was 2 months eating the same food. The same for the 2nd stage. I've tried everything and repeat his favourites but I wouldn't mind a few more ideas, given he's at this stage for 2 months. I'm not a great cook, so maybe that's my own fault but I feel like I'm being very repetitive giving the same receipes for 2 months...and I do vary it.
Other than that it's a great book and I'd give it a 4 and a half star rating out of 5.

Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner
Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner by Annabel Karmel (Hardcover - 24 Jan 2008)
8.00