5.0 out of 5 stars A must for parents facing the weaning process!!
My husband & I purchased this book on the advice of our health visitor and have not looked back since. The daunting task of weaning our son (he is our first) was made very simple by following the sensible & practical advice about nutrition & the introduction of new foods to babies & toddlers Annabel Karmel offers.
By starting our son slowly on baby rice for the first...
Published on 27 May 2004 by yvettekitto

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting started
I bought this book on the recommendation of so many mums, and it was a great help to get started through the minefield of weaning - I found the first and second stage recipes a great help, although some of the second stage ones are a bit too similar.

Published on 16 Dec. 2008 by Curly Girly

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for parents facing the weaning process!!, 27 May 2004
By starting our son slowly on baby rice for the first two weeks as suggested & then gradually introducing more adventurous foods, we now have a healthy, lively & energetic 19 month old, who eats everything that is placed in front of him with no fuss.
The recipes ranging from 'Lovely Lentils, Baked Sweet Potato & Orange' to 'Fillets of Fish in Cheese sauce' have meant that our son has been eating balanced & nutritious meals without additives or preservatives since he was four months old.
The meal planners are invaluable, saving time when there is little by having a weekly straight forward outline that is simple to follow. Freezing recommendations & portion guidelines have halved the time spent in the kitchen as favourite recipes can be stored for use at a later date & we get to spend more time with our son.
For our son's 1st birthday all the dishes were made using this cookbook and the adults loved the variety of food on offer as much as the children. Some family favourites are 'Chicken with cornflakes' & 'My favourite pasta with broccoli'
I highly recommend this book as a first recipe book for parents facing the weaning process.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting started, 16 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner (Hardcover)

Unfortunately, having now reached the 9-12 month section, I'm finding it a bit less useful. The recipes still seem to be based around creating a purée, when my 9-month old is quite happy with lumps and likes finger food. I was also very surprised to see the 9-12 month menu planner with milk feeds 5 times a day, and had hoped for some direction in reducing these.

I notice Amazon package this book with the 100-purée book - having bought one and borrowed the other from the library, I'd say the content is about 90% the same, so save your pennies and just buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Tasty food, 20 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
I wish I'd known about this book when I had my first child - mealtimes were a battle because I was unadventurous in my cooking and bored with cooking fresh meals in tiny portions for a toddler everyday. A friend bought me this shortly after my second child was born and I used it to wean my daughter. It's brilliant because I'd cook up large batches, freeze it in portions and presto! my baby had a different yummy dish at every meal. Also, my friends and I would try different recipes from the book and swop bags of frozen cubed food - very effective when one of our babies disliked something...nothing goes to waste. As a result of my "adventurous" cooking, my little girl is a great eater who feeds herself and likes a variety of foods. No mealtime battles the second time around!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book I used for weaning, 18 Aug. 2007
S. L. Bradley (UK) - See all my reviews
Found this book so good I used nothing else to get my son onto solids. Plenty of variety in the purees and there were very few that my son didn't like. There are plenty of the first stage weaning recipes which give you good ideas for older children (eg I sneak courgettes into mashed potato thanks to the excellent courgette gratin)

I started using lots more recipe books as we moved from baby to toddler, as I find most of the toddler recipes in this one are a bit bland for my husband and I. I'd say it's not to be considered a family recipe book (I don't think it intends to be either as Annabel has a separate family recipe book out!)

Baby 2 is on the way and I will be relying on this book again.

5.0 out of 5 stars How on earth, 25 July 2004
By A Customer
This fantastic book gave me so many ideas to feed my babies. There is only so long you can give then pured carrot. Some of the recipes sound odd but taste wonderful. Very useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not so keen, 13 Aug. 2006
Caterina (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The book has a general introduction, then sections on first stage and second stage weaning, 9-12 months, and toddlers. In the first stage weaning section there are 4 seven day meal planners. In subsequent sections there are seven day meal planners. There is also general information in each section.

I found the general information useful and interesting. But - to my own surprise - despite this I am not very keen on the book and would not recommend it as "the only weaning book you will ever need". I see it more as being a useful back-up. There are three reasons for this.

First, I didn't find that the section on first stage weaning provided me with enough information and guidance. I was very nervous about weaning, and really wanted something which gave much more information about suggested feeding amounts. As a result I tended to rely much more on Gina Ford's weaning book.

Second, I don't feel entirely confident about the protein content in some of the main meal recipes. My understanding is that a baby aged between 9 and 12 months needs about 50g animal protein a day - but the meat and fish meal servings here just don't seem to me to provide anything like this amount. Maybe I'm missing something - but I don't want to have to worry about this.

Third - I found that my baby absolutely refused to eat a very high proportion of Annabel's recipes, particularly the vegetable ones. I don't think this is just because he is a fussy eater - because he really isn't. He just gobbles up the recipes from other books without any complaints. But Annabel's are surprisingly unpopular. I'm not sure why this might be. The only thing I can think of is that many of the recipes are very simple - perhaps they have been over-simplified? Or perhaps my baby is just an odd-ball!

Anyway, the end result is that I used the Gina Ford weaning book as my weaning bible, and flicked through this one a bit for fruit and breakfast recipes. The fruit recipes I must say are delicious. But I'm not so keen on the rest of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, particularly for the first time mother., 1 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
The information and advice contained on weaning, which foods to offer and at what stage, was comprehensive. It enabled me to offer a far greater variety of foods to my baby than I would otherwise have done, such as sweet potato, butternut squash, leeks and watercress.
The nutritional information and meal planner charts were invaluable and helped me to feel confident about feeding my baby solid food. I used many recipes from the book, all of which were well received, but she particularly enjoyed Fillets of Fish in Cheese Sauce, Fruity Swiss Muesli and Lentil and Vegetable Puree. We all enjoyed Salmon and Vegetable Tagliatelle, Nursery Fish Pie and Penne with Courgettes and Cheese. Also, the ideas for ice lollies were great and we invented many delicious blends of our own once we got started. These are still very popular.
I would enthusiastically recommend this book to anyone who is about to wean a baby, but also to anyone with a young (or not so young) family to feed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding the baby no longer requires the patience of a saint, 14 Jan. 2004
All of my friends with babies of similar ages talked about this book with reverential awe. I was a little doubtful but with all the recommendations I thought I would give it a go. Before the recipe book my son was not that fussy an eater and would (eventually) eat most things we made or dished up from a jar. However meal times were painfully slow when it came to savoury food. Every time I serve something from this book he becomes very happy and excited. Meal times are now very quick as I just can't get the food into his mouth fast enough for his enthusiasm. I have had a small taste of the meals I have cooked from the book. I understand why he likes it, they are all delicious. The recipes start with initial weaning and continue up to toddler age. A lot of the toddler recipes are suitable for the whole family and I look forward to eating them with my son when he is old enough. I have to say, all of my friends who recommended this book to me are right, I wish I had listened to them sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy & healthy recipes, 29 April 2008
Lots of quick, easy & healthy recipes. I didn't have much of a clue about weaning and found this book a godsend. My baby is now 11 months and I have used this book for cooking his meals since he was 5 months old. I am still using it just about every day. The recipes are so good we have even made family meals from them! Highly reccommended and worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Important Alert: Must read, 30 Dec. 2011
If anyone buys this book,before you give your baby that mixed Dried-Fruit Compote pg 36 which includes dried apricot, read info on pg 96 about warning on dried Apricot.
That pg96 is for babies from 9 months but what the recipe on page 36 doesn't say is that 'important information' which reads; 'Some dried apricots are treated with sulphur dioxide to preserve their bright orange colour; these should be avoided as they can trigger an asthma attack in susceptible babies. Don't give your baby lots of dried fruits as it can be difficult to digest- and laxative.'

Since the information can only be found from 9 months recipe,I had already made lots of it and literally fed it to my baby every day as she was only about 6-7months then and had not read the follow on pages [in this case pg96 which is for babies from 9 months. How I found out? Well my baby is 9 months now and was looking for 9 months recipes and came across this vital information which was left out at the time the recipe was introduced earlier.

My baby is currently being treated for possible Asthma linking to a cough she has had for 2-3months linking to the time I gave her this recipe, and I do not wish that any babies get this too. Be warned and if possible, give your babies fresh fruits and vegetables only instead of dried ones. I have emailed Annabel's company and suggested that this book be withdrawn and they should appologise to any mums who have tried this recipe without knowing.

I believe when it comes to babies one has to be careful and it's a shame that this was ignored or not well quality checked.Shame

Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner
Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner by Annabel Karmel (Hardcover - 24 Jan. 2008)