5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe THE most important food book
Okay, I should maybe have taken one star away because he could have used a good editor. He often repeats himself and goes around in circles and the book could have been shorter. For this reason it may be a hard slog for some.

But this could be one of the most important books you will ever read if you care about your health and longevity. Forget the low-fat...
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the feint hearted
This book is very hard going, repetitive, not for the feint hearted. The style is not to the point or succinct. I had to read, and re read much of it often as the author gets lost in his desire to enlighten us. It could be much shorter if set out better and so much easier to read and understand.

I agree with the content, I trained in Food Science, Nutrition and...
Published 8 months ago by S. Wills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated. Evidence to support we've wrongly been sold a bad diet!, 29 Aug 2008
This book is one of those books which once you read you cant really put down!
He has facts & evidence to support the truth that the LOW FAT DOGMA IS WRONG! With even evidence showing that the Government spent a fortune trying to flaw the Low Carb against the Low Fat dogma but failed (and so badly!) so it was all hushed up and forgotten.
But they can continue to say that they're right. But with more and more people following the low-carb hypothesis, and seeing overwhelming results, pretty soon they'll have to admit they're wrong.
This book is a great read but it'll make you angry as all the scientific evidence, with facts and proof, will make you question what you've been told by the medical profession.
UPDATE - I've now lost 6st following a low-carb diet! I will be buying this book for my Dr this Christmas. To the people who just say all i've lost is muscle 6st(All from my waist?) - well try telling my family that i had 6st of muscle there; I kept trying to convince them that it muscle not fat there they never believed me!
I'm so glad i came across his 'what if its been one big fat lie?' article. Its changed my life this. The science explains it clearly - adipose tissue production/fat accumulation occurs when the body fails to burn off all its insulin its made. Why does it make it? to break down carbohydrates. Your body tries to get rid of the insulin but when you have something else high in carbs e.g. pasta it produces more insulin and has to get rid of that. What it fails to get rid of = Adipose tissue/FAT.
G.Taubes even explains why the current belief doesn't even match the 1st law of thermodynamics - because they are not independant variables. Also, it doesn't have arrows of causality and he shows, again, how it can't be similar to it even when corrected with them.
If you want an interesting read buy the book. I dont need any more proof, with the weight i've lost, that my Dr was putting me on the wrong diet. If you need the proof though, G.T gives you lots of evidence for it - actually too much its overwhelming as it shocks you because you see how much the so-called 'medical experts' have ignored.
UPDATE - I've now lost 12st following a lowcarb diet. If you need to lose weight i can't recommend a low carb diet and this book enough - you are following a WRONG DIET advised to you by the 'experts'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conall Boyle, 31 Jan 2009
C. F. Boyle "Snodgrass" (Margam, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
This book is a must-read! The author is a respected, nay prize-winning US science journalist, so is highly credible. Bit by bit he dismantles most of the mad and bad dietary advice, such as avoid salt, cut the fat, eat fruit and fibre, take exercise. It's all wrong, and it's causing (not curing) an epidemic of obesity, cancer and diabetes, plus probably many more of the 'diseases of civilisation'.

Taubes explains how this false view of our health came about -- that in itself is an interesting story. He does not advocate the Atkins diet, but that is the obvious conclusion you will draw. Instead he asks that a low-carbohydrate diet (in other words a high-fat, high-protein diet) be given a proper scientific test. That would not be cheap -- £100's of millions, but less than the money wasted on the futile search for the cure for cancer.

This a a rigorous scientific book, which may be a bit heavy going for those with no idea about science, but it is well worth the effort. Every politician, health advisor, nutritionist in the country should read it and learn why 'five a day' campaigns are bound to fail.

Or maybe Taubes is completely wrong? Since his book appeared there have been few rebuttals, all of which have been dealt with easily. If you are a scientist in this area, please read this book and tell me if it wrong (especially if your name is Goldacre!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 29 Jan 2008
S. A. Forrester (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This is, without a doubt, the most interesting and thought provoking book I have read about diet and nutrition. Based on what I learned from this book my perspective has totally shifted on what may or may not constitute a healthy diet. I can not recommend this book enough to anyone who has been lead to believe their health may be at risk due to raised cholesterol levels or any other alledgedly diet related condition. Gary Taubes simply lifts the lid on what may well turn out to be the biggest health campaign of misinformation in living memory. The amount of information in this book is huge, and although it is extremely well written it took me about a week to read. I had to keep stopping and considering the implications. Mr Taubes has constructed a truly brilliant and informative book that is both damning of conventional dogma regarding diet and enlightening in respect of how our body actually deals with what we eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
Taubes takes the lid of so called nutritional science, exposing it for the sham that it is. It reminds me of my first reading of Chomsky. The initial cognitive dissonance is painful.

The book is a herculean analysis of the scientific literature as it pertains to obesity and the metabolic syndrome published over the past 100 years. Taubes coves an astounding amount of ground, making use of insights from the philosophy of science and from anthropology along the way. All the big names and studies are covered and thier authors conclusions explained, where there are significant methodological issues these are teased out and alternative conclusions drawn where appropriate.

Five years in the writing. You can easily believe it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
This book is very worrying - the author has obviously done his research (impressive list of notes and bibliography at the back of it)and the basic message I got from it was - never believe what anyone tells you. Taubes cites innumerable researches that have since been proved inconclusive or just plain wrong but have got into the public mindset and now are accepted as gospel. As always, the people in power want to be able to tell the people 'underneath' them what to do and can't bear, or can't afford, to admit when they are wrong or just unsure. It's not an easy read - I often found myself backtracking to go through some paragraphs again - but it is enlightening and informative. Now I want to get hold of many of the references he cites to see for myself! Recommended if you are wanting to find out the truth about diet and health. Taubes doesn't tell you what to do but he does present the evidence for you to make up your own mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in diets ever written, 7 July 2010
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
What a great book, I never need to read another book about diets again. Highly recommended to anyone that wants to learn more about why and how the body becomes overweight. It challenges the many theories on calorie control, exercise, sugar, fat and genetics.

Thoroughly researched, superbly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book on nutrition you'll, 4 Jan 2008
This is probably the most useful book on the impact of diet on health you'll ever read. Partly because Taubes succinctly overviews the diet-heart controversy, and partly because, generally, he manages to explain to the layman the research and its implications. The great value for me was his development of the alternative theory to the saturated fat/cholesterol hypothesis dominant now since the 1960s. The alternative carbohydrate hypothesis is not new, and obesity specialists had been very successful in treating obese and diabetic patients with low carb/high fat diets for decades before the 1960s. Taubes interviews scientists and reviews the research since the 1900s to the present, showing how the specialists that are studying blood components in relation to the major diseases - cardiovascular, obesity and diabetes - demonstrate that by far the best predictors of any of the "diseases of civilisation" are certain fractions of blood lipoproteins and fats known as triglycerides, along with elevated blood sugar and insulin - not cholesterol or total LDL (demonised in popular health policy statements). Guest what? These "VLDLs", triglycerides and insulin/glucose characteristics are only produced in quantities associated with disease through a high carb low fat diet.... the very diet that the "experts" tell us to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a book on diet and health you can get your teeth into, 7 Feb 2008
This is a wonderful book. Gary Taubes has painstakingly pieced together the key discoveries in a hundred years or so of research in the intertwined fields of metabolism, diet, obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. He uncovers a very disturbing story. For the interested layman who takes the trouble to read carefully the 450 pages there are many rewards - and I should make it plain, that having a few years ago rid myself of 40 pounds overweight, I am a keenly interested layman. Firstly, he gives a clear overview of the science, and how it was uncovered since the 1880s. Second, we have an overview of the clinical experience and findings of the doctors who treat day in day out, decade in decade out, people suffering from these diseases. Thirdly we have a clear exposition of the develoment over time of public policy - what questions are researched, and what messages are issued to the public and to the medical profession as the interpretations of the research.

The distubing factors relate to two fundamental issues. Although it has been well-known since the 1920s that metabolism, diet, obesity, diabetes and heart disease are all closely related, the relevant research, and its publication is specialised to such an extent that newly established science in one field is long delayed in being applied in the others, hampering by many years any progress in tackling the overall problem. The second disturbing issue is the disconnection in the last 30 years or so, between on the one hand, the findings of doctors treating patients and the lab scientists investigating the underlying causes, and on the other the choice of studies undertaken and the interpretation of results into public policy.

If you want to go beyond the next diet best-seller and understand the science around diet and health, if you want to make sense of what your doctor and your government tells you, if you want to understand how your body behaves and take your own decisions accordingly, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is fantastic, 19 Sep 2008
It confirmed what I suspected. I ve spent years eating whole grain healthy stuff with pretty low fat intake and I still put on weight - even though I was going to the gym daily. It s only in the past 3 months by eating low carbs (always accompanied by some fat and protein) and a lot more fat (olive oil, coconut oil as well as meats and full fat dairy products) that I ve lost over 3 stone. I haven t exercised more or starved - just lost weight.
Everyone is different of course - but try eating along the lines this book suggests and CHECK IT OU BY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
The book is a must have - it certainly taught me never to trust any scientist completely, especially dieticians/nutritionists - they ve all got an agenda and a reputation to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a revelation, 27 April 2010
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
This book made me angry.
It took a while to work through it as it is meticulously researched and written with intelligent readers in mind although it is in no way inaccessible.
The conclusion is that the current received wisdom about how we should eat and what we should eat is wrong. That governments have accepted this version of nutritional science based on poorly designed studies that refer back to previous poorly designed studies to justify themselves is scandalous. The evidence cited in this book is compelling. It seems that 100 to 150 years ago we knew what would keep us healthy and help us to lose weight but more recent theories have superceded that older wisdom and force of personality and peer pressure have forced a new, almost diametrically opposed viewpoint to the fore.
I find myself wondering if health in the western world has suffered as a direct result. How much has it cost us to follow this path and how much could the health services save if a properly designed scientific study was funded to finally put the low refined carbohydrate diet to the test.
I'm running my own test here at home and am lighter and healthier for it.
Thank you Mr Taube.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

The Diet Delusion
The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes (Paperback - 1 Jan 2009)