Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 July 2009
The thing I liked the most about the author is that he almost immediately admits his children can annoy him. Thank God, he must be the first child behaviour/rearing expert that actually admits how irritating children can be. I was hooked - I adore my child but I'm not blind to her occasionally appalling behaviour either. Sensible, do-able and effective advice for dealing with bad behaviour. I have been trying the 6:1 praise:criticism thing - he's right, I did feel a bit self-conscious at first but I'm in the swing of it now and I have to say, it's working. This book should be by the bedside of every parent of children under 6.
on 6 August 2009
Grandmothers are reluctant to give advice to sons and daughters-in-law on how to bring up their children, but they can give this book without giving offence.
Charlie Taylor writes with humour. He doesn't suggest that monsters turn into angels overnight (after all, growing up takes a long time) - but gives practical advice and ideas on improving behaviour that, if followed and stuck to, will work.
He has three children and is headmaster of a school for excluded children, so the book is written not as theory, but from his own experience.
on 9 October 2009
I gave this book to my daughter to assist with her two very boistrous and demanding little girls (one of 4 and one of 2). She has thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and found situations that are very similar to her own. She has put a few ideas into pactice and they have worked!
on 3 April 2014
Had an awful weekend with my daughter. Huge tantrums one after the other. One of them happened in a superstore. I was mortified and ended up in tears. I ended up downloading this book at 5.30am the next morning when I was faced with yet another tantrum. It was brilliant. I already knew what was going wrong but it's so hard to change your own behaviour.. This book gives you brilliant examples, advice and guidance. I think I read it within an hour and a half and that day saw how I was reacting differently to my daughter and in turn her positive behaviour towards me and the rest if our family. Excellent!!!!
on 21 August 2011
We thought, being experienced parents we knew all the tricks in the book...but our youngest isn't reading from the same book!! Pre-school recommeded this one to us and we have found it very helpful and the advice is sensible. The examples used cover many of the issues that we are having and we are working through some of them. So far,the summer has been better than expected and I think that is down to using some of the methods in this book.
VINE VOICEon 22 November 2009
I bought this book after realising that our 3 year old daughter ruled the roost (yes, we have a 'diva' in our house!). We had got to the stage where we dreaded the weekends as, instead of being time when we could enjoy being together as a family, it was fraught with tantrums, turmoil and tears!

I wanted a book from an 'expert', but one who has his feet firmly planted on the ground floor - and the up front admission from Charlie Taylor that his own kids play up too was very reassuring!

The premise of this book is that you can change behaviour - but it won't happen overnight. It is better to target one behavour at a time, change that, and then try something else - so reward charts where you are trying to change six things at once are not going to work!

How often have you sat back and realised that all you have done all day is tell your child off? Yes, me too....but Charlie Taylor suggests that if you praise your child six times for every one time that you tell them off, you can change negative behaviours. It is really hard to do when you are used to starting every other sentence with 'DON'T...' but it does work!

This book is full of practical, doable suggestions, from the 'pebble jar' to tips on getting your kids to behave on car journeys.

Our house used to be a dictatorship with the 3 year old in charge.....we are slowly, steadily, approaching a democracy. This book gave me the confidence to know that I could bring about change - but that it had to come from us as parents first.
on 9 February 2014
This book was recommended to me by my manager in the behaviour unit I work in. I have heard of Charlie Taylor as the government tsar on behaviour but did not think his ideas would be applicable to parenting. Although this book is aimed at younger children (2-10) it will definitely help me with my 5 boys and with my pupils at school. I know he has another book aimed at parents of teenagers which I will read next.
As my title explains, I did feel much more confident about my parenting skills after reading this as lots of the things he suggested are things that I do anyway (praise, consistency, sanctions, time), I just didn't realise how important they were.
on 1 August 2009
There are so many self help books out there that don't help at all. This one really does. Written by someone who knows and understands the frustrations of bringing up children when they are being difficult and disobedient and you are feeling tired and cross, he gives very careful and explicit advice on how to make the child behave. He gives clear examples of family situations when parents are not coping and of how he helps them to change the child's behaviour. Charlie Taylor is the head teacher at a special school for children with behavioural problems so his advice is based on experience. Every mother who has ever bribed her child with sweets in Tescos really needs this book.
This book has been very helpful when dealing with my 3 year old behaviour challenges!
I really recommend this book to all parents.
The author describes different challenging behaviours and how to deal with them.
Great buy!!!
on 21 April 2016
Great book that really helps to change how you think about your strategy for improving your childrens behaviour. The book encourages and enforces how using positive methods you can better steer things to go more smoothly. Rather than spending lots of time on how you fix things at the time they are going wrong, the book offers the method of calmly reviewing the crisis after everyone has calmed down and then working on a strategy to pre-empt it next time. The methods are effective and limited only by my ability to apply them when under stress. I find myself saying 'no' a lot less now whilst offering positive alternatives to the behaviour I just used to try and argue against.