‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Have children under 6 years old? Buy this book!, 30 July 2009
Vanessa Francis (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Divas & Dictators: The Secrets to Having a Much Better Behaved Child (Paperback)
The thing I liked the most about the author is that he almost immediately admits his children can annoy him. Thank God, he must be the first child behaviour/rearing expert that actually admits how irritating children can be. I was hooked - I adore my child but I'm not blind to her occasionally appalling behaviour either. Sensible, do-able and effective advice for dealing with bad behaviour. I have been trying the 6:1 praise:criticism thing - he's right, I did feel a bit self-conscious at first but I'm in the swing of it now and I have to say, it's working. This book should be by the bedside of every parent of children under 6.

5.0 out of 5 stars A present for your daughters - in - law, 6 Aug 2009
Cicely Taylor (england) - See all my reviews
Grandmothers are reluctant to give advice to sons and daughters-in-law on how to bring up their children, but they can give this book without giving offence.
Charlie Taylor writes with humour. He doesn't suggest that monsters turn into angels overnight (after all, growing up takes a long time) - but gives practical advice and ideas on improving behaviour that, if followed and stuck to, will work.
He has three children and is headmaster of a school for excluded children, so the book is written not as theory, but from his own experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars very reassuring, 3 Oct 2009
Mrs. R. J. Moyle (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book, I am constantly recommending it when I am talking to friends about our kids and what they are up to. There are some really simple solutions to changing behaviour and they work.

It's so reassuring to find that you aren't the only one with difficulties and actually your kids aren't that bad at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandmothers, this could be your salvation!, 1 Aug 2009
Isobel Wood - See all my reviews
There are so many self help books out there that don't help at all. This one really does. Written by someone who knows and understands the frustrations of bringing up children when they are being difficult and disobedient and you are feeling tired and cross, he gives very careful and explicit advice on how to make the child behave. He gives clear examples of family situations when parents are not coping and of how he helps them to change the child's behaviour. Charlie Taylor is the head teacher at a special school for children with behavioural problems so his advice is based on experience. Every mother who has ever bribed her child with sweets in Tescos really needs this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divas and Dictators, 9 Oct 2009
I gave this book to my daughter to assist with her two very boistrous and demanding little girls (one of 4 and one of 2). She has thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and found situations that are very similar to her own. She has put a few ideas into pactice and they have worked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, do-able advice for parents of difficult preschoolers!, 22 Nov 2009
Easterchick (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this book after realising that our 3 year old daughter ruled the roost (yes, we have a 'diva' in our house!). We had got to the stage where we dreaded the weekends as, instead of being time when we could enjoy being together as a family, it was fraught with tantrums, turmoil and tears!

I wanted a book from an 'expert', but one who has his feet firmly planted on the ground floor - and the up front admission from Charlie Taylor that his own kids play up too was very reassuring!

The premise of this book is that you can change behaviour - but it won't happen overnight. It is better to target one behavour at a time, change that, and then try something else - so reward charts where you are trying to change six things at once are not going to work!

How often have you sat back and realised that all you have done all day is tell your child off? Yes, me too....but Charlie Taylor suggests that if you praise your child six times for every one time that you tell them off, you can change negative behaviours. It is really hard to do when you are used to starting every other sentence with 'DON'T...' but it does work!

This book is full of practical, doable suggestions, from the 'pebble jar' to tips on getting your kids to behave on car journeys.

Our house used to be a dictatorship with the 3 year old in charge.....we are slowly, steadily, approaching a democracy. This book gave me the confidence to know that I could bring about change - but that it had to come from us as parents first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips here., 21 Aug 2011
We thought, being experienced parents we knew all the tricks in the book...but our youngest isn't reading from the same book!! Pre-school recommeded this one to us and we have found it very helpful and the advice is sensible. The examples used cover many of the issues that we are having and we are working through some of them. So far,the summer has been better than expected and I think that is down to using some of the methods in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars divas and dictators, 2 Sep 2009
Mrs. R. Turnbull (UK) - See all my reviews
Clear, concise, practical guidance that enables me to help parents of children whose behaviour is not easily managed in school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good advice!, 31 Aug 2009
Really good advice and ideas for behavioural problems. Primarily looking at young children, it can also be used for older ones. We all like to be praised when doing work! Would heartily recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divas & Dictators, 27 Aug 2009
J. Coles - See all my reviews
A refreshing book which looked at actions from the childs as well as the adult perspective.

Took a practical rather than an idlistic wiewpoint

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›