Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 January 2010
This book offers a refreshing alternative to traditional weaning in "stages" with purees then lumps etc. Especially now the official advice is not to wean before 6 months, it is possible to introduce your baby to a range of solids from the start with all the associated benefits.
However, the book is very critical of other approaches and in my opinion tries to oversell the idea. Many traditionally weaned babies are not force fed spoonfuls of pureed vegetables and are offered plenty of finger foods. It also oversells the practicalities of your baby eating the same meals as the rest of the family. Avoiding too much salt means mostly cooking from scratch and so freshly cooking 2-3 meals a day for the family as well as for the baby is no small task and limits the choices for family meals. In addition, sensible times for the baby to eat are often not so sensible for the rest of the family - for example if the baby goes to bed at 7pm and dad gets home from work at 6:30, finding a slot to eat together isn't so easy.
In addition, the book repeats often how safe it is and how it is rare for a baby to choke if they can get food into their mouth themselves and is sitting up properly. However, there doesn't seem to be any scientific research to back up this theory, the book is based on a very small study.
Having said that, we have used many of the ideas from the book and have taken a kind of hybrid approach. We started on mostly soft finger foods rather than purees, such as roast sweet potato, well boiled veg and soft fruits. We eat together when we can and the Sunday roast is a great meal we have shared from very early on in weaning. When she has food that is best from a spoon, we preload the spoon and let her hold it - either on her own or with some support. We have never put the spoon into her mouth without her guiding it there so no force feeding. I do batch cook suitable foods for her and freeze them so we can continue to eat seasoned (and convenience) foods and I can feed her when it fits best with her routine and we don't have to wait for our meals around her naps etc.
I love the ideas behind this book but don't like the "all other ways are bad" style of presenting them. All babies are different and this approach, or elements of it, will work for some and not others. My advice, read the book, try what makes sence for you but don't be brainwashed into thinking you have to take the whole package or nothing.
99 comments|727 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 October 2014
My partner reads this book regularly, but dips in and out of it. She finds it very helpful as a guide, but mainly as a reference. Would have perhaps bought this in paperback and not on kindle if I had thought about it; easier to flick through and search for certain things with an actual book.
on 14 June 2015
All your questions (and any concerns) will be answered in this book, which contains loads of practical tips for implementing BLW. If you had any doubts before reading you certainly won't have them afterwards! I found myself highlighting bits to show the parents and in-laws...
on 8 June 2015
my daughter is using this book and asked me to read it as i will be looking after my grandson its a facinating concept and it is lovely watching him choose what he wants to eat would recomend this book
on 14 March 2015
Really not needed blw has been straight forward, can be summed up in 'put food in front of baby, let him eat it'. You can easily google which foods are unsafe and google ideas. Not worth bothering with.
on 13 September 2014
I had this book recommended to me by a friend who did BLW a few years ago and I can see why. It all makes complete sense and makes you wonder why BLW isn't compulsory. I can't wait for my baby boy go reach 6 months so we can start experimenting with food!!
on 10 August 2013
this is a good book but there is a lot of repetition of the same points several times in the book and its filled with anecdotes and mini stories from real people. This book could easily be half the size without losing anything, or possibly even distilled down to a pamphlet. after reading this i can see that baby led weaning just isnt that complicated
on 31 December 2013
Good book to help clear some misconceptions and worry of parents new to the idea of BLW. After feeding my now very fussy 5 year old, fed as a baby the conventional spoon-fed way, I was determined to not go down that road again and BLW seemed the best route to take. I didn't know how to go about it and this book really helped built up my confidence to start with my 6 month old baby. So far it's going really well and I am a happy parent.
on 17 November 2014
Didn't like this book as I expected some ideas for food etc but it just went on and on and on about why BLW is the best thing to do!!
on 2 August 2014
I bought this book to fully understand the concept of baby led weaning, it didn't disappoint. It goes into great detail about how baby led weaning was 'discovered', how it works and the benefits. It also has helpful tips and chapter summaries.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone thinking of doing baby led weaning.