5.0 out of 5 stars St Otto of Lenghi , we love you.
Published on 5 May 2008 by victoria sponge

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit underwhelming
I got this cookbook based on recommendations of friends, and the reviews here. I love cooking, and I really enjoy cooking challenging recipes with complex flavours. Looking through the book the recipes looked great, but for each of them that I have made I've found them a bit disappointing really and could be improved by a few creative alterations to the recipe. The...
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by redclock

5.0 out of 5 stars St Otto of Lenghi , we love you., 5 May 2008
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Moro, Jamie, Diana (Henry) ... I've bought all those books this year, excitedly scanning through them and bookmarking the pages of lots of yummy looking recipes to try. But how many have I actually got round to trying? Probably one or two recipes per book. They inspire, excite and suggest other ideas, but as for slavishly following the recipe, nah - you can kind of work it out for yourself.

But St Otto is different - every meal we've eaten this week has been a revealing and faithful recreation of his great works on the streets of London. Admittedly I was already a convert. Ever since his huge, puffy piles of meringues beckoned me into the tiny Notting Hill shop about 4 years ago, I have been hooked. St Otto takes simple, everyday ingredients you use all the time at home - broccoli, chilli, garlic and olive oil, for example - and somehow transforms them into something magical that tastes so much more than everyday. You come out of their shops thinking 'How did they do that? How did they make that aubergine taste so smoky? Why don't my mushrooms taste like that when I fry them in olive oil? Why is their lemon and pistachio cake so squidgy?

Well, the cookbook generously reveals all. Garlic and lemon are likely to be involved (they start by saying that if you don't like lemon or garlic, you should skip to the end) - but there are no weird secrets underpinning the Ottolenghi magic. No intricate labours of love. This is easy to prepare food that is perfect for relaxed meals with big groups of friends.

They just have an extraordinary understanding of which flavours and ingredients work well together and how to combine them in just the right amounts (usually more generous than you are used to) to create something that piques your interest as well as your tastebuds. You can spot that they lived an interesting life as journalists and philosophers before following their love of food, as the book is a joy to read, with a style that is as warm and relaxed as the food itself. These are people you want to come and sit down at the table and share the food with you.

If you like modern, light and singingly fresh food that draws on the best of the Middle Eastern side of the Mediterranean, this is the book for you. If you think you already know how to knock up easy meals like roast turkey breast, couscous salad and french beans with hazelnuts without needing to invest in a cookery book, thank you very much, then it's even more imperative that you buy this book as it will lift both your everyday meals or cooking for friends to new heights. As for me, I'm off to check the price of Kenwood Chefs so I can recreate the joy of their meringues or brioche in my own home too. Praise be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookery book for 2009, 26 Feb 2009
H. Dunn (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
As an avid buyer of cookery books, most of them are read without any food being cooked as a result, I want to recommend this book to anyone who wants to actually cook dishes.
The authors describe the recipes as inventive yet simple and that is exactly the case. Their dishes taste great, look appealing and with lowish effort from the cook. The instructions are absolutely clear and hints for ways of serving are given.
I am vegetarian and found loads of recipes I have and will try.
A great present for any cook, but read it yourself before you give it away.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one cookbook this year...., 18 July 2008
Easterchick (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
buy this one! I have to admit, I don't live in London so I had no idea that Ottolenghi was even a shop - I thought it was a restaurant :-) I bought it purely on the strength of the other reviews.

It wasn't a bad decision! The book is visually stunning, with enough recipes to keep you going all year - I am always envious of people who can take something completely mundane (like broccoli) and turn it into a showstopper just by adding some garlic and chilli. Genius.

If you like cooking with ingredients such as bulghur wheat, sultanas, pomegranate, this is probably the book for you. But is also full of recipes for cakes, muffins and meringues. Buy, cook and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars By The Gods - The Humble Cauliflower Transformed, 4 Sep 2008
Ms. J. Carter "JAYNE CARTER" (LEICESTER ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
as i write this i have a freshly cooked bowl of the cauliflower and cumin fritters (to be found on page 50) gently steaming at my side. i can tell you it is delightful.
when i saw this recipe i knew i wanted to try it. so looking in the depleted fridge i came across most of the ingredients and set to. i had no fresh parsley so used dried and no shallots so used a small cooking onion. the results were sublime and can't wait to try it with the proper ingredients.
and the rest of the book? well that will be tomorrows handy work. thankyou ottolenghi for returning my enthusiasm for cooking back to me. a cherished book already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best, 26 July 2008
H. Humphreys (Burgundy,France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Great recipes that work! not only excellent bed-time reading but a full on working cook book that no kitchen should be without.Clear, exciting recipes, great flavour combinations, easy to read and the photography is simply fantastic. Buy for your family and friends, they will love you forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars genuinely excellent recipes, 7 Sep 2008
Samir Okasha (Bristol, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a superb book. The recipes are innovative, carefully thought out, nutritious and delicious. The majority of the ingredients are readily available, and the recipes are mostly simple and straightforward to follow.
Additionally, the book is beautifully produced, and good value for money. Even if you already cook a lot of mediterranean food, this is still well worth buying, as the authors come up with combinations of ingredients that you'd never think of yourself. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cookery books in years, 19 May 2008
Annie (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Ottolenghi, having eaten there a few times. I was really looking forward to this book and it didn't disappoint. There's a fresh take on everything and even though some recipes (french beans, mangetout in a hazelnut and orange dressing) are little more than assembly jobs, they're great for inspirations. I love the layout, the recipes, everything. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My cookbook of the year, 14 May 2008
J. E. Michie "Herschelian" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Flavour, flavour, flavour those are the three words I'd use to describe the food produced by Ottolenghi and Tamimi in their two London establishments, and they certainly deliver that in this book which contains much of the food they routinely serve. The recipes, are so clear and well-written that it is easy to replicate the amazing tastes that are their hall-mark. I've only had the book for ten days but have already made four of the dishes, every one a winner. I have also had to fight off my daughter who thought she might take the book away to Cambridge with her - buy your own copy say I!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for healthy exciting restaurant quality food at home, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
At great recipe book if you are hoping to make restaurant quality delicious food at home with interesting but quite easy to source ingredients. Especially good for impressive healthy salads, and vegetarian food that is a bit special. For an occasion choose several dishes (as they do the wonderful Ottolenghi restaurant) but for normal meals just one or two with your normal favorite dishes. If you like the Tessa Kiros cook books (Falling Cloudberries is our favorite if you haven't come across her yet), and Moro books this is a must. The beautiful photography and design is a bonus, and makes the book a great gift. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensation!, 24 Feb 2009
This review is from: Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I am already on my third copy of this excellent book. This is not by choice, but because friends and relations have vied with each other to beg, borrow or steal it.

Other reviewers have noted that Ottolenghi and Tamini are very skilled at producing unusual flavour combinations from relatively everyday ingredients. Their signature griddling and marinating techniques have much to teach both the home cook and the professional.

However what I find particularly impressive about this book is how well balanced the recipes are as a group. While the vegetable dishes are probably the star turns - cauliflower and cumin fritters, green beans with hazelnuts and orange zest - the puddings and the meat dishes are equally good. Try the meringues, or the pork with plum and rhubarb relish, to see what I mean.

My advice is to buy this book. Then write your name in it in large letters.

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Ottolenghi: The Cookbook by Sami Tamimi (Hardcover - 1 May 2008)