on 29 June 2007
I don't know the first thing about fishing and am really not that interested in it, but I bought this for my dad and thought I'd just skim a few pages before wrapping it. I ended up reading the whole thing. It's beautifully illustrated and really well written, making an otherwise dull pastime seem almost worth participating in. Actually I think I might go with my dad next time he goes fishing. It's not too technical but full of what I assume is good advice. And I really liked all the non-technical pages like 'Ghosts' which demonstrate the author's love for fishing and confirm it's really not about the number of fish you catch.
0Comment78 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm not sure this is a book that is intended to be read cover to cover in a straight forward fashion. While it does have a clear structure, beginning with fishing tackle and such like, it seems to work best for me as a book to bounce around in, reading a section here and a section there more or less as the fancy takes. In that sense it's a bit like fishing itself - I'll try here - not working - lets go elsewhere. I think that's the best way to fish and I think it' the best way to read this book.
The best sections are on why to fish rather than how to fish, fishing as an all encompassing event, not just a process that lead to the catching of fish.
There is enough information here to be valuable to existing fisher folk and more than enough entertainment for those who have yet to be hooked.
on 28 October 2010
A well received book with useful nostalgic information and tips. Subsequent copies bought for presents.
on 20 January 2013
Bought this for my partner and he loved it. Would def recommend buying it for any fishing enthusiast. Great little read
on 27 November 2012
Bought this for my dad and his words were that its an excellent book ,very well written as though you were sat there speaking to the writer and very well illustrated.
on 4 January 2015
I absolutely love this little book. Explains all there is to the 'World of Fishing'. Read from start to finish in one sitting, smiling and chuckiling all the way. Have dipped into every now and then
on 5 August 2013
This book was bought for a family member for a birthday present and they said its an alright book but starts of very patranising and simple but it gets better the more you read.
on 18 July 2010
If you are an avid fisherman / woman then this book is well worth reading. Lots of common sense tips which you might not otherwise think of to help you to catch fish. Recommended.
on 4 August 2015
A book which can actually be read as a book, from start to finish. I really enjoyed readin it . although I felt I could have used more fishing tips and tricks etc.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2012
I know nothing about fishing and got this for my boyfriends grandad, I let him have a look at it and he says it's a really good book, great bargain!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse