5.0 out of 5 stars A must read
This book is a fantastic read. Stephanie's own story of living with depression is a real page turner. The topic might suggest it makes for a depressing read but it really doesn't.

She does a very good job of describing some of the many issues society has towards depression. For example, she reminds us of how people debilitated by ordinary illness such as flu...
Published on 8 July 2008 by Tony R

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too religious ...
Having suffered many of the same things as the author I thought this book would help me manage my condition. However, there is a lot of emphasis on religion and the church, I didnt read this book expecting it to replicate my own life. However, I found the importance of religion to the author's story meant I found it difficult to relate to. still easily read though and...
Published on 29 July 2011 by Bewill

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, 7 Aug 2009
Clarissa (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression (Paperback)
It's not just a great book about manic depression. It's a great book. I can't quite understand why it hasn't received more attention. Is it because the author is a journalist and it would look like favouritism? I was particularly impressed by her suggestion that childhood bullying may have been at the root of her suffering. She makes a plausible case for her brain having been hurt, so to speak, at a vulnerable age.
I can only say that for a book that describes terrible pain, there is also intense joy. Her little boy's "moment of being," of great happiness, makes The Devil Within worth buying, just for that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read...., 23 April 2013
This review is from: The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression (Paperback)
This book is good, however, if you are like me and rubbish at english it is very difficult to understand and to keep track of what is being said. I brought this book a month ago and have go onto something else instead. Its a shame as it probably is a good read, i just couldnt understand it.... too many big words!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression, 29 Oct 2010
Ms. K. James (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression (Paperback)
Quite an intense book but also very insightful and i do not regret buying this. It is an interesting insight in to one persons experience of depression

1.0 out of 5 stars More about religion than depression, 13 Mar 2013
Mrs. S. M. Blackburn "Shania" (Chelmsford U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression (Paperback)
I had hoped to gain from this book a memoir of Stephanie's depression, her struggle with it and how she eventually coped. But this book is mainly about her struggle with her faith as she grows up and experiences life.
I gave up on this book half way through as I have no interest in religion or how life events affect people's faith.
There was no mention on the cover that this book would in main be about religion and I was really disappointed with it as I wasted my money buying it.

2.0 out of 5 stars okay read, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression (Paperback)
I was hoping for another 'shoot the damn dog' type read from this as it was released around the same time. I was slightly disappointed as it was not as good-a-read as the latter, and although it is always interesting to read someone else's take and thoughts and experiences with depression, it wasn't the sort of book you cannot put down....Possibly worth a read if you are involved with depression though.

The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression
The Devil Within: A Memoir of Depression by Stephanie Merritt (Paperback - 7 May 2009)
6.83