5.0 out of 5 stars An end in sight
Published on 10 Aug 2009 by Michael W. Crick

3.0 out of 5 stars Medicalise your condition
Having worked with IBS for 20 years I had high hopes for this book. It is clear about patterns of the condition and allows you to isolate the actual complaint. However it warns about cancer and hints at other awful diseases in paragraph one, dismisses most of the coping mechanisms that do work most of the time and is rather depressingly pushing the reliance on laxatives...
Published 2 months ago by country mum

5.0 out of 5 stars An end in sight, 10 Aug 2009
Michael W. Crick (herts, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Irritable Bowel Solutions: The essential guide to IBS, its causes and treatments (Paperback)
I have suffered sleepless nights, discomfort and pain for the past 11 years, as a result of stomach problems.Being privately insured I have seen consultants and surgeons for all those years. They have carried out every test known to man,endoscopy, colonoscopy, tubes up my nose and into my stomach, recording results etc. All that they have been able to tell me is, "What is not wrong". Operation wise they have removed my gall bladder, performed an endocinch, and most recently (NOV 2008)carried out a "Nissen Fundoplication". If I am totally truthful none of the above has helped, except making the wallets of consultants and surgeons, fatter.In desperation, with no prompting from the medical profession, I thought I would look into IBS. I saw this book by Prof Hunter, and thought i'd give it a go. After reading the initial chapters and assessing my score, I needed to go on the exclusion diet for 2 weeks, quiet difficult but extremely worthwhile. I am now re introducing foods one at a time as detailed, and monitoring the effect, the results have been surprising and somewhat startling. I am getting to sleep with no problems, my discomfort has gone, and I am looking forward to a new lease of life. So far I have discovered that both YEAST and Pilau Rice, cause me sleepless nights, today I test beef and monitor the reaction, with about 8 other foodstuffs to test.For me this book so far has been a revalation, given me hope, and worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent book on IBS, 11 Sep 2009
S. Hanna (U.K.) - See all my reviews
A very well written book addressed to those people coping with IBS. It is written in a very simple, easy to understand language and gives numerous examples and explanations as to why some things might work for some people and why it doesn't for other people. To make you understand what type of IBS you have, it has a questionnaire at the beginning of the book guiding you as whether this might be your problem and the steps you need to take. The author has done a lot of research and treated a lot of people with IBS trying to find an explanation each time something helped or it stopped working. It offers an insight into a wide range of IBS symptoms and possible treatments/solutions. This is an excellent book for someone who had IBS for many years and tried to cope with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK REALLY UNDERSTOOD MY PROBLEM, 26 Mar 2008
This interesting book by Professor Hunter really does explain the causes of IBS and actually understands what we sufferers go through. When GP's can only tell us what we have not got eg. cancer, but cannot offer any help or explanation as to our symptoms, this clearly explains and helps. I have a combination of the two causes and now after trialling a diet can say I have my IBS fully under control after over 16 years!! How fab is that!!! I would recommend this book to patients AND TO DOCTORS so they can better advise their patients.
A GOOD INFORMATIVE BOOK WHICH KNOCKS ALL THE OTHERS ON THE MARKET INTO A COCKED HAD (believe me I have read them!)

5.0 out of 5 stars worth its weight in gold, 18 Mar 2009
J. M. Payne "jeremy" (berkshire uk) - See all my reviews
I've seen my gp a couple of times a speacialist bowell consultant on my private helath policy and was in treatment with a hyponotherpaist.

Compare to this book they've all been a waste of money - you can read this book in a day - self diagnose the type of ibs you have (essentially it seems like there are 4 types) most so called health professionals that ive spoken to seem to group ibs in 1 big bucket)

It offers really practical ways to identify and test which type you are - and then offers some really simple steps to sort things out - if you have IBS you should definitel;y read this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem solved, 7 May 2008
D. A. Bubbear (devon uk) - See all my reviews
An excellent book which is easy to read and use. There are no fancy long medical terms just straightforward language.
The questionnaires helped me identify what was the root cause of my problem and gave me a huge helping hand to solving it.
From the heart of bottom I thank Professor John Hunter - my life is so much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars best read so far......, 23 Feb 2010
E. Mabbs (london uk) - See all my reviews
I have read a whole lotta books on IBS & this is the best so far . It differentiates between the the variations of IBS & has information & advice I have not read in other publications. Recommended .

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading!, 14 Nov 2009
J. Blake "J Blake" (England) - See all my reviews
Get this book, it has to be the best by far. It serves 2 purposes: (1) At last a real Doctor telling you your symptoms are real, that you do not have a laughable or time-wasting condition and that its not "all in your mind". Just this level of compassion and understanding is invaluable (2)A frank and easy to understand description of IBS - explaining that there are different types of IBS and suitable ways to relieve symptoms depending on the IBS type.

4.0 out of 5 stars IBS, 4 Mar 2010
Well written book and easy to understand. After 14 days of observation you can identify what type of IBS you may have and then learn more about your type and how to help overcome the condition and manage it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The book on irritable bowel you must read, 27 Aug 2009
This is written by a Professor, so is written from a medical point of view, with full knowledge of the condition. Some of the books written about Irritable Bowel are by alternative therapists so lack the full medical imput. The book is clearly written with very good chapters on different types of irritable bowel and suggestions for a solution

5.0 out of 5 stars Irritable bowel solutions, 5 Nov 2010
I thought this book was BRILLIANT! I have suffered from IBS for 10 years and did not really get any useful help from the medical profession. I was being to feel like I being treated like a neurotic whinger, when in fact I was in a lot of pain and discomfort and embarrassment which badly affected my social life and work. I cried when I read this book. I was so relieved to come across some one who recognised the symptons that I was experiencing, had studied it closely and thought of treatments that were sucessful, and not only that spoke to you like a real human being in a friendly easy to understand and optimistic way. Thank you Professor Hunter.

7.58