5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless America
A wonderful diary. Love him or hate him, Piers Morgan has a talent for telling it as it really is. I found the whole book interesting, informative but above all else very, very funny.
Published on 12 Oct 2009 by Mr. David A. Jarman

1.0 out of 5 stars A rip-off, re-release
I ordered this book as a present for my husband as he loves Piers Morgan and is an avid follower of his Mail on Sunday column, he has also read all his previous books.

When I saw Piers had a 'new book' released, I thought great, perfect as a present and promptly ordered it, only to discover when it arrived that it wasn't a new book at all but a re-release of a...
Published on 16 May 2010 by L. Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful!, 11 July 2010
This review is from: Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit (Paperback)
I've read 2 of Piers Morgan's books and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. They are deliciously indiscreet and always make me laugh.

I love his wit, the gossip and how he's happy to reveal that he doesn't always come out of a conversation or situation looking good, or at times very intelligent either. Silmilarly there are points where he shows in this book in particular, that whilst he is really rather egotistical, underneath he is quite aware of what matters most in life.

If you liked his others, this one is just as good - though in my opinion, much funnier than The Insider and Don't You Know Who I Am, and brings you up to date on his latest(mis)adventures.

Yes there are several entries on the Obama campaign but it didn't spoil the enjoyment for me and seemed quite relevant to the wider picture of what was going on whilst he was over there, and the impending credit crunch. It all tied in together really.

Amusing, interesting, gossipy, heartfelt in places and highly entertaining. I hope he continues to publish similar titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piers at his best, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit (Paperback)
I'm only at chapter 6 and I haven't stopped laughing yet, Piers Morgan has a knack of bringing out the best (and worst) in people and always remembers never to take himself seriously. You can not help but love him. A thoroughly absorbing, hilarious read.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Mouth, Some Cattle, 24 May 2010
Ian Millard - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit (Paperback)
I have read only one previous book by the author, so, unlike some other reviewers, was not disappointed that this collection of diary entries is said to be an edited version of what has been previously released. I judged it as it stands, on its own meritsas a read.

Morgan is now a British and American TV star, judging the sort of talent shows like America's Got Talent and The X Factor of which I only heard of fairly recently (and I do not believe Gordon Brown who is said, in this book, to watch one of these. Rubbish, surely (gulp!...he was the Prime Minister for God's sake!...and he watches that c**p?).

Morgan does not mince words yet I have not read that any oof those mentionned in the book have sued, despite the partly libellous content. There again, some of what he says about people would be regarded legally as not libellous because "mere vulgar insult". Most of those whom he castigates are those whom I myself dislike (albeit at a distance, having not met or even seen close-up most of them): Jeremy Clarkson; Kate Moss; Cherie Blair ("grasping, rude, Scouse banshee"); George Osborne (ex-cocaine abuser, he pretty much said directly in a previous diary); David Cameron (ditto re. the cocaine abuse; also thought to be "out of his depth" and who "does not understand the economic problems" etc) and who is plainly thought unfit for office --I agree!-- even as compared with that facile little bully, Osborne; Cameron also called a "smooth-faced, affable, Old Etonian snake-oil salesman"). If only people had listened! Having said that, Morgan seems enamoured of Gordon Brown and, by implication, The Party Formerly Known As Labour, which makes me question Morgan's political, as distinct from journalistic, nose.

Morgan, despite coming from modest origins and with a brother who is a serving officer in the Army, lives in the glitzy world of the mass media, politics and "celebrity", to whom a salary of, say, £200,000 or so is "peanuts", as the precious dead sheep Channel 4 newsreader Jon Snow implies to Morgan at a bar, talking about Boris Johnson. In fact Morgan seems to spend a lot of time in bars, often meeting the same people, or so it seems: BBC newsreader bimbos ("thanks for thhe half million pound salaries, licence-payers!"), newspaper people, TV people. Morgan has "front" such as rarely seen (especially in a person of British origins) and has little inhibition in asking awkward and sometimes plain rude questions. He is pretty tough, I would say.

There are more serious aspects to the book and there is a quite long interview with Donald Trump, whom Morgan admires and who is now world-famous, though when I went first as an adult to the USA in 1989, few in the UK had even heard of him (I hadn't... which was a source of amazement to my American contacts). For me he is a big, egotistical, grasping New York property owner rat, though the interview in this book does show his great shrewdness to advantage.

My view of Morgan himself is that he seems to be very shrewd himself, intelligent, not quite as shallow as he likes to show as an outer persona (despite his worship of sports events like cricket and football matches, to me incomprehensible though very contemporary Brit). His political judgment as to the then not-far-off General Election was skwed by his close personal/journalistic knowledge of Brown and Cameron. He could not see that in the modest swathes of Southern and other England, a lot of people would vote Conservative just because of silly things like thinking their house might go up in value with a Cameron win, or because the Daily Mail tells them regularly that everyone on disability, or in the North or Scotland and unemployed, is a "scrounger" taking "handouts" from their tax pounds. The fact that the gulf between rich and poor has widened since 1997 makes a mockery of what is, really, a pluto-democratic system in which "all three" main parties take part (and, as now, form and re-form, to carry out policies decided secretly elsewhere.

In other words, Morgan ois a shrewd judge of character but a poor judge of what is happening in a lot of the real world beyond his media folk and chattering class bubble. I do not begrudge him his Maserati (vulgar? Moi?) but I do feel that he is isolated from reality a bit, frankly. The same happened to him in the USA, where his overall views of Americans are recast time and again in these diaries as he encounters paradoxical new facts about different types of American. The same happened to me when I started to live and work there. In America's house there are many mansions.

I was disappointed that, toward the end of the book, Morgan comes to the view, surely one of the most tired cliches out, about how people admire a Maserati owner in the USa, whereas in the UK it will probably acquire envy scratches. To call that simply a cliche is kind. It is almost the king of cliches; which is why I was even more disappointed when the BBC Radio correspondent, on leaving the USA after two years en poste just a couple of years ago, used it. Was that his real view, after two years in the USA?! Sack him!

Morgan does seem to be very beguiled by Barack Obama, which I never was (and not by any means only because he is partly non-ethnic-European), but certainly I agree with Morgan's trenchant views about the (to me, half-crazy) Sara Palin. Scary, even when herself unwittingly exposing, as Morgan says, her ignorance of everything that is not in Alaska. I cannot agree with Morgan who thinks that America's future can still be rosy, at least in the short-to-medium term.

Overall, I enjoyed a lot of the book, though I have to admit that I had to look up on the Internet who actually were a lot of the "celebrities" who play such a large part in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Piers Disappoints., 14 May 2010
This review is from: Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit (Paperback)
Having waited a year for the paperback version to be published in Britain, I am very glad that I did not purchase a hardback copy. Whilst not expecting very much, I was hoping to be mildly entertained by Mr Morgan's showbiz gossip, but this effort was very dull and clearly intended to boost his popularity with an American readership. This is certainly the weakest of his literary offerings and if you are considering buying it, I wouldn't bother parting with money for it. At a fraction of the cost, you should be able to pick it up at your local charity shop, which is where my copy has been deposited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 16 April 2009
Basically, if you liked his previous diaries, you'll probably like this one too. It's not a serious political or historical book, but then of course it's not meant to be. Taken for what it is, i.e. a light-hearted witty gossipy look at modern "celebrity", it's a very entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piers and his high society gossip, 1 Jun 2009
Andy C (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
A very enjoyable read and I couldn't put it down,although I felt I had read some of the content before.I had read about his charity cricket match and his celebrity apprentice expericences soemwhere before? His previous book perhaps which I haven't kept so i can't check.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, and it needs an editor with some knowledge about the United States, 4 April 2009
I'm an American who really likes Piers Morgan, so I devoured his latest book rather quickly; after all, so much of the book deals with his take on the United States. But it's hard to really enjoy his opinions when he gets so many things wrong. He repeatedly says we're a land of 52 states --it's 50, as any American schoolchild can tell you. He misspells the name of radio commentator Rush Limbaugh (Russ?) and says Americans wouldn't understand the expression "a jar of strawberry jam," saying we would use the phrase "a carton of jelly." As a born-and-bred American, I can tell you the phrase "a carton of jelly" makes absolutely no sense, unless you're possibly referring to a crate packed with jars of jam, and even then it doesn't sound right. Mr. Morgan is a journalist, so I expect a higher standard of accuracy than this. These kinds of mistakes make me wonder how much of the book is true, which puts an unfortunate tinge on the proceedings.

On the other hand, Mr. Morgan is incredibly witty and knows how to write an extremely readable book. But the mistakes and his naive, stereotyped take on America, and his sweeping generalizations about its citizens, left me cold. Much of the book deals with a change in the country, but as he doesn't seem to understand the people who make up the country, it's a bit of an odd read. His other books were delightful, so I expected much more from him than this. I still will enjoy Mr. Morgan on TV, but now I think I like him a little less.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoud be called 'Name Dropper', 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit (Paperback)
Do not waste your money buying this book, I have often watched Piers Morgan on his TV Lifestories show but never imagined he was such a twit.
This book goes through his diaries of 2007-2008 when he was trying to crack America with his big mate Simon Cowell. He is not too full of himself, the book basically describes all his wining and dining with the big names of the day. I didn't even finish it. He is so full of himself and always asking his friends about their sex life, nothing much has changed from his bottom of the barrel newspaper days. It will make good kindling for the fire when winter comes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, 30 April 2009
Piers writes with insight, humour and irreverance and yet I found it irrepressable reading and I do not want it to end. So Piers hurry up and write some more !

4.0 out of 5 stars Piers does it again!, 18 May 2009
B. MILCHEM (London UK) - See all my reviews
Piers Morgan writes as he talks, fast and taking the mick. A really funny read though the links to the USA are tenious at best.Basically its a continuation of the other diaries he has written.

Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit
Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit by Piers Morgan (Paperback - 1 April 2010)