4.0 out of 5 stars Not a beginner's guide - perhaps
Irving's book is incredibly in depth, inspiring, beautiful and a joy to read.
I think it's essential for anyone interested in foraging and cooking - and I've very successfully been using it both for identifying plants and cooking (the Sea-buckthorn Sorbet/caramel is brilliant!). I have read a few books on wild food and this is by the far the most in depth and...
Published on 6 Jan. 2010 by City forager

3.0 out of 5 stars foraging for people sitting on the sofa
This is a good and interesting book but the format makes it totally unsuitable for its purpose. A foraging book needs to be portable, and this is a big hefty hardback the size of a luxurious cookbook. I don't imagine this is down to Miles Irving, I suspect the publisher has made this decision based on how they want the book to sell. It is also disastrous that the photos...
Published on 10 July 2009 by emma who reads a lot

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed Opportunity, 22 May 2011
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
Mr Irving clearly knows his stuff, and if only the book was some use for actually identifying the plants he is talking about, it would have been really useful. But it seems I will have to buy a different book to help me do that. Looks good on the coffee table though!

I recommend you look at "Wild Food" by Roger Phillips, instead

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 7 Dec. 2012
D. Smith (hastings, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
Whilst this is a very well laid out book, I was surprised to find that the pictures are in black and white! When the importance of foraging is put on identification;colour forms a integral part.

If I had been able to look inside the book, or if the description had mentioned this, I certainly would not have ordered it; especially when there are so many other good, colourful books around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hop shoots, mustard greens, primrose flowers..., 1 April 2011
Amanda Joyce (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
I've had this book for a few weeks now. I already knew a bit about English wild plants, and had made stuff from easy foraging like blackberries, nettles and elderflowers. I wanted a book to help me extend my repertoire, and this one's fitted the bill perfectly. The descriptions, B&W illustrations and index are all really helpful. It's well enough written to browse and dip into for pleasure.

I don't take the book out with me - I go out and when I see stuff I don't recognise, I bring back samples and identify it for next time. Today I collected some hop shoots - spotted them last time I was out and about, and collected them this time, now I am confident I know what they are. Never eaten them before and they were delicious. Also mustard garlic (soup, with lentils - made some last week and starting craving it) and primrose flowers (first go at candying them in sugar). I've also discovered you can eat ground elder which is a pest in my garden. Very nice mixed with little gem, served with squeezed lemon, olive oil and sea salt.

Completely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite The New 'Food For Free'..., 15 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
Whilst this is a very good reference book, I feel it's let down a little by the black & white photos (which are great in themselves but just not good enough for identification). Interesting comments, detailed write-ups and the occasional recipe make this more of a kind of book that you will reach for after a foraging trip, just to confirm edibility or usage, rather than one to be carried in the field. It wins a worthy place on the bookshelf but won't be replacing Richard Maybe's 'Food for Free' or Roger Phillips' 'Wild Food' just yet...

5.0 out of 5 stars .free food!, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
An excellent resource for anyone interested in foraging. A bit too heavy to take out into the field though. Very comprehensive. This will be a very valuable resource to refer to prior to foraging & on return to identify plants seen.

1.0 out of 5 stars this is note a hand book, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
the book is not a hand book, and you would not wont to carry this hardback around with you. The book however does have lots of info required, but does not have photos as stated. all pictures are just a black & white print on the edge/top/bottom of each page, which shows no colour for identity purpose. Would not recommend to anyone that is new to foraging. Would recommend FORAGING Self-Sufficiency By David Squire, which can be purchased on amazon. The original price of this book is £30, so it is a good buy, but its only a hard back book that you would want to read at home and not take out into the woods with you "unless you want hand & arm pain"

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I got this, 2 May 2014
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
I bought this book because it's mentioned as a reference in Alys Fowler's foraging book. Its strength is that it covers plants which are toxic yet might be confused with the edible plants. Its weakness is the monochrome illustrations. It's a weighty tome unsuited to carrying around, and is more use in informing the forager before we leave home with a good identification guide, or for use in confirming a plant is edible before we eat it. Some of it seems to be rather "extreme foraging" in that if a plant is so bitter it needs its flavour tempering with lots of fats, I'm not convinced I'm dedicated enough to try it. But that's personal taste. As a reference book this one is very good and one I will refer to often.

5.0 out of 5 stars there is also a useful list of the places (cliffs, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
This book covers all the basics and much more, it lacks colour , but the black and white pictures are usually a close up of the leaves so you can go quite some way to identifying from these, it is organise into families to help you get use to spotting the characteristics eventually making it quicker for you to identify, there is also a useful list of the places (cliffs, heaths, walls, woods, wood edges, roadside and more) giving a list of what grows in those places. There are uses and or a recipes for all.

I find it interesting to read and get facts I never knew, such as using silver birch twigs to flavour peas (buy the book to see how though)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Forager Handbook, 18 April 2011
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
Arrived quickly and in perfect condition due to good packing.

A great read as well as a useful reference book. THe best thing that I've read in this genre since Food for Free.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite detailed but black and white photos, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
The book more than 400 pages, and is quite detailed. It is divided into families, which botanicaly is adequate. For every plant, you have the distribution, the habitat, the description, the uses/recipes, and some time other information. However the photos of the plants are in black and white, and to me of bad quality. Interestingly, it has a section on seaweed. The book is however much more detailed than "Food for free" of the same format. In "Food for free" however the photos are splendid.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Forager Handbook
The Forager Handbook by Miles Irving (Hardcover - 2 July 2009)