Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2006
An absolute must for anybody on a low budget or who does just want to reduce the rip-off factor built into high street shopping.

Using tips here I have more than halved my household budget and actually live and eat even better than I used to.
0Comment|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2006
I love the whole ethos of Martin Lewis' moneysaving website and have both copies of his previous books which focus on consumer advice to make your money go further.

This book concentrates on going back to basics and looks at domestic matters including advice on cleaning your home the old-fashioned way and feeding the family like royalty on a peasant's budget!

If you're the sort of person who loves programmes like Anthea Turner's Perfect Housewife or Kim and Aggie's How Clean is Your Home?, then you'll love this book.
0Comment|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2006
What a great book. Like the web site [...], it's full of great hints and tips to cut costs, and still live well. There's no need to spend a fortune on big companies' marketing ideas, or overpriced chemicals (food and otherwise) in expensive packaging. I think everyone should own a copy, and refer to it often!
on 12 December 2006
I have bought this book because I frequent the Old Style forum where all the tips have been taken to compile the book. I thought I would know them all, but to my surprise I am finding great new tips at almost every page.

This book is refreshing and gives truly useful hints on how to reduce one's expenses without reducing quality of life, it is not prescriptive and the style is light and funny, like other Martin Lewis books.

I also love it that Martin is donating all proceeds to charity as he acknowledges that the book is the result of collective wisdom.

Great read altogether, not only useful but fun!

Caterina (an Old Styler)
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2006
Martin Lewis and his fans are determined to save the environment and lots of money, into the bargain. His latest book is packed with all sorts of ideas and suggestions, laid out in an accessible and attractive format. We can dip in and out or completely transform the way we live. Either way, it's win win for our planet and our pockets.
on 17 December 2006
Buy it for the kids leaving home and going off to Uni, buy it for young people starting their own families, anyone who wants to use less chemicals in the house, if you're struggling and want to save money on cleaning, cooking, anything, or just buy it to find yourself amazed at the amount of knowledge we seem to have forgotten over the years whilst the advertising companies have been brainwashing us to use their brands...

A dedicated OS'er shouldn't be without one!
on 14 September 2010
Many books of this type state the obvious (eg "Turn off the TV when you aren't watching it"), but this one has a lot of tried and tested tips to save you cash. Martin Lewis is quite frank in the introduction that these tips have come from contributors to his forum, and also that he does not use many of them himself - it's a matter of choosing what you personally consider worthwhile. Many of these tips are good, even for a lazy kipper like me. I am one of those people who watched Kim and Aggie saying "A mixture of boar's urine, spiders' webs, tomato ketchup and copper sulphate will take fly spots off your light bulbs" and then think to myself "So will Fairy Liquid, and I don't have to chase a pig around with a bucket". This book has tips that are simple and often ingenious - some of them are too much faff and I'd rather sepnd the extra 50p, but a lot of them are good ideas.
on 2 March 2008
I found this book had helpful tips for saving money in an old fashioned way however a lot of them ie baking your own bread etc are very time consuming. I was slightly dissapointed with the book as i felt it would incorporate more modern fresh thinking ideas however i would still recommend the book and feel that if you have the time you can make substantial savings
on 22 July 2009
borrowed this book from the library and was so impressed with it, ordered my own copy. its brilliant! loads of tips about making savings on food shopping, tips on making your own gifts etc. really good book and one I'd definitely recommend to my friends.
on 27 February 2012
The premise is sound - life can be great on a budget! This book provides good advice overall and a number of helpful tips to boot. It is a little repetitive in parts, though, perhaps a touch dated in others (ex demo sewing machine for £10? I wish!!) and some tips needed additional explanation - such as, for example, making your own cushion covers for gifts out of scrap fabric "two squares sewn together and stuffed" - a cushion without a removable cover (easy to make - just an overlapping back piece) is a disposable one (hard to wash an entire cushion) and a false economy.