5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrated guide
Published on 18 July 2007 by Tracy Roth-Rotsas

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice book but made me feel inadequate...
Published on 9 Aug 2008 by S. Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrated guide, 18 July 2007
Tracy Roth-Rotsas "aussiecatwoman" (Limassol, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Contented Baby's First Year: The secret to a calm and contented baby: A Month-by-month Guide to Your Baby's Development (Hardcover)
I was under the initial impression that "The Contented Baby's First Year" was actually an elaborated version of "The Contented Little Baby Book", however was quickly proven wrong. It is in fact, a beautiful book, easily understood and with superb photographs illustrating main points, techniques and levels of a baby's development over its first year, which greatly enhance the adjoining text.

The useful information is presented in an easy-to-read manner with simple bullet points relating to the chapter and coloured text boxes highlighting helpful tips, which are great for quick reference purposes, although there is a complete index at the end.
Many questions and common problems are tackled and answered in an explicit, clear and concise manner providing not only a realistic solution but also an explanation as to why these problems occur in the first place so as to avoid them in the future.

Though it could be read alone, I feel that "The Contented Baby's First Year" would be much better appreciated as an accompaniment to "The (New) Contented Little Baby Book". It offers wonderful and easy suggestions and advice, which genuinely help the development of a child and positively enhance the experience of raising one.

Not a single aspect of a baby's first year - for both mother and baby - has been overlooked. This is a book to keep and treasure.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book - whether or not you want a routine!!!!!, 8 April 2009
Laura Simmons (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought a copy of this book when it was first available and I loved the gorgeous pictures and practical advice. Since then I have bought it for several of my friends who have had babies and they have all said the same thing - it is a beautifully presented, informative book. I especially like how the information is laid out in an easy-to-read format: bite-size chunks of knowledge with clear headings under different age groups. Gina Ford's routines are mentioned in the book but they are not the central theme, for that you will have to look at the Contented Little Baby Book. I think this is a definate plus as it makes it a book that's very accessible to all parents, not just those who want structure in their (and their babies) lives.

I have both a Miriam Stoppard book and "What to expert in the First year" and I have to say that they do very different things. If you want a book that you will refer to throughout your babies first 12 months but that you will also keep and cherish along with things like your babies first shoe, etc (and one that is perfect to give as a gift) then Gina Ford's First Year book is the one for you!

Reading this book, it's easy to see why Gina Ford in the UK's bestselling childcare author!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice book but made me feel inadequate..., 9 Aug 2008
S. Hunt "Scoose" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this just a few weeks before my first baby was born at the end of last year, I found the first couple of chapters on general baby care and newborn very useful but then as the months went by, Gina seems to imply your baby 'should' be doing this and that and I sometimes felt that my baby didnt measure up to her exacting standards and her patronising tones made me feel inadequate as a first time mother. Her strict routines are well known and of course they are in here, not as detailed as in some of the other books but detailed enough for those of us who seem to muddle through and have babies not so suited to routines.
I thought the photos were nice and some of the babycare information was good however this could all be got elsewhere in more detail, i.e. Miriam Stoppard, 'What to expect' books etc.
If you are a fan of Gina and would like to get your baby into a routine as early as possible this book is for you. However be warned it may make you feel a little inadequate as the months go on!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't make it your first Gina Ford book, 8 Mar 2011
Loads of people told us about 'the Gina Ford book' and how brilliant it was, and how the routines and timetables really help with a new baby.

So I bought this. And didn't understand what people had being going on about.

Several months later, we've just discovered why: we should have bought 'the new contented little baby' book. This one 'the first year', might be good as a companion book, but buy the 'contented little baby' book first - that's the one where the whole Gina Ford method is laid out and you get all the routine timetables.

To be honest, I found this 'first year' one a bit hurriedly-written - it feels a little contradictory at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! First Class!!, 25 July 2007
This is an excellent book for first time mums with little time!! The top tips are particularly helpful as is the easy to read style of writing. The gorgeous pictures helped me to imagine what my little girl is going to look like as the months pass by. I'd recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information all in one beautiful book, 19 July 2007
S. Cornish "(stye)" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This comprehensive, well-ordered book covers just about every aspect of your baby's first year you can think of, from establishing feeding, whether breast or bottle, through immunisations, returning to work and teething to safety in the home once your baby is on the move.
The newborn section is particularly useful, with practical advice on nappy changing, bathing and holding positions - things that it is often assumed women will "just know" how to do.
Whether or not you are planning to follow the routines set out in Gina Ford's New Contented Little Baby Book, this book will really enhance your baby's first year. As well as supporting the routines and explaining the thinking behind them, it focuses on things to do when your baby is awake, what activities and toys they might be interested in at different ages, and physical and developmental milestones.
Another particularly useful section relates to weaning and following the new government guidelines on starting weaning at 6 months. This is great for people like me who already have a toddler who they weaned at 4 months and might be confused about how to progress from a later starting point.
Because of the clear, attractive format and beautiful photos, this book would make a great present and a welcome change from the usual flowers, bubble bath and baby clothes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for all parents..., 25 July 2007
Is how this book has been described, and I have to agree. It is beautifully written and illustrated, and packed full of information useful to not only first time parents, but to second and third timers too! I already have one pre-schooler and found myself wondering just how useful this book would be with my second due in 6 months time....surely I knew it all right? Wrong! I found myself saying things like "ooohh, so THAT's what that was" and "ah-ha - that's what I need to do when this happens!" Even my husband (yep, he read it too!) "exclaimed aloud" a few times....!

But seriously, this book is for everyone. It does sit side by side quite sweetly with the Contented Little Baby book series', but if you're not a fan of these, or any other routines, then you can take heart and buy this book with confidence, as it really isn't wholly focused on routines at all. Plus, it would make a delightful gift to any parent - mum or dad!

In summary, whether you're a first time parent or a tenth timer, this book will be a welcome addition to your parenting bookshelf, and by the time the twelve months are over, a well thumbed one at that!

Just one more thing, I couldn't possibly review this book without mentioning the babies that are featured in it. They're simply too cute and squishy to forget, and the photography, lighting and illustration is simply, well, stunning!

1.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel like a bad mother, 27 July 2009
Ms. K. Booth (Ashington, UK) - See all my reviews
I got this book before my first child was born as it received glowing reviews. The factual information in the book is great (how the baby develops, bathing etc.) however she has some very strict views on feedind and sleeping.

She says baby should be awake at x time for x hours and is very adament on this along with how much and when to feed them. I got so worried and stresed when my son didn't do anything like what she said no matter what I did! I actually thought he was ill or I was such a bad mother because of it.

I ended up asking other ppl with children what was wrong and they said my boy was fine as did my Health Visitor!

Basically this book is OK IF your child can stick to the routine or perhaps if you are already a mum. For a nervous, first timer I'd steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book, 18 July 2007
Skye Shanahan "Skye" (Australia) - See all my reviews
I got this book when my daughter was six months old and wish it had been available from her birth. As a second time Mum I wasn't sure how much I would get from it, however the pictures are fantastic at showing holding positions etc that I had misunderstood.

The book is full of helpful tips - like lying the baby on it's tummy on the towel when drying which I tried and my baby loves.

Each month's guide is packed with relevant information and it is simle but detailed. I am finding if I have a problem I can refer to the book, locate the answer I need quickly and easily - especially this month as I am weaning.

I will be purchasing this book for my pregnant friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, perfect gift, 17 Jun 2008
Agree with all that has been said previously!!!!!! Perfect gift for any new mum (First, fith), gorgeous pictures and lots of simple tips. Perfect addition to the Contented Little baby series, but also excellent as a stand alone book.