Published on 7 Jan 2008 by D. Simmons

1.0 out of 5 stars What!!!!
Oh my goodness, what a terrible idea. To stay in all week and take your child to the potty every 30 mins. My poor child on day 3 was in a state and so was I. In the end my child potty trained himself when HE was ready. You can NEVER force a child to use the potty. Gina Ford..... please
Published 7 months ago by Hotshot

5.0 out of 5 stars If your child is ready to be potty trained this book WILL work!!!!!, 7 Jan 2008
D. Simmons - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training In One Week (Paperback)
I bought this book when my daughter was 2, and I felt under pressure (from other mums) to start potty training. Using Gina Ford's easy to understand criteria, it was clear that she was no where near ready to potty train. When she was 2 and a quarter we looked at the book again and I gave it a go. In 3 days we were both totally stressed out and I decided it was time to go back to nappies. 6 weeks ago (aged 2yrs 9 months), she fulfilled all the criteria - following the instructions in the book she was completey dry in 4 days (has had two accidents since then) and completely clean in 3 weeks. This book does work BUT it's crucial to follow Gina Ford's guidance on "readiness" (can they tell wet from dry, can they dress and undress themselves without your help, can they follow simple instructions). If your child isn't ready, it will take much longer than a week.... oh, and YOU have to be ready too!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God For Gina Ford !!!, 22 April 2005
I was at my wits end about potty training. My son was 3yrs old and was not at all interested in the potty. I tried all the tips the Health Visitor gave me, leave the potty for him to get used to, don't pressure him, let him do it in his own time. That's all very well, but when your son is about to start Pre-School and they won't accept him unless he is clean, you start to panic. And i did ! Then i happened to spot a book in a leaflet "Potty Training In One Week by Gina Ford". I was sceptical but desperate to try anything that might possibly work. I read the book in the evening when the children were in bed, and then resolved to embark on Stage Two the following day. That was a week ago now. And at the end of day two we had no accidents and he was fully clean during the day. And as from day five he is now dry at night time. I am amazed with this book and would strongly recommend anyone to try it. In fact, I think this book should be given out by all Health Visitors and available on the NHS !!!! Thank You Gina Ford you have made a stressed out mum in Swindon a very happy, proud and contented one.

1.0 out of 5 stars What!!!!, 13 Jan 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, but didn't work for my son, 28 Dec 2005
I bought this book, did everything it said, started training when it said i should, and it didn't work. That was approx 2 months ago and my son is still not clean.
Please don't misunderstand - i think the advice given in this book is good, and the book is written in a easy to read style. However i just thought i would point out that it doesn't always work 'in a week'.
Hence three stars for the good (but unsuccessful) advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gina does it again, 14 May 2003
With both my girls already 'Contented Babies', I decided to buy this book to help with potty training my 28 month old. It really works. Within a week she was potty trained. No hassle, no tears, no tantrums, no pull ups, just straight to wearing pants and using the potty. We had to expand on the start chart theme and use a star-chart-and-chocolate, but it worked a treat! This book will let you avoid the potty training for months syndrome that many parents get into, and allow you to proudly lead your little one to the bathroom for a wee-wee in front of visitors...

1.0 out of 5 stars Never EVER again Ms Ford, 22 April 2008
Katherine (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potty Training In One Week (Paperback)
Before this book, my two-and-a-half year old daughter was always happy to sit on the potty. I decided to use this book, tempted by the fact that she could be clean and dry in just one week. Don't be fooled! This book is prescriptive, rigid, inflexible and makes no account of your child becoming annoyed by the constant asking and reminding about the potty which is sitting right beside them. After all, who wouldn't become totally irritated and put-off 'performing' being asked every few minutes if you need to wee or poo? By the middle of Day Two my poor daughter was crying at the mention of anything toilet-related and distressed by the whole situation. She was refusing to sit on the potty and constantly wetting and soiling herself. There was not one success. We were both stir-crazy by being stuck in the same two rooms of the house for so long with the dreaded P-thing looming in the room, reminding us what a failure we had both become. Then I refer to the book and find that by Day Two we should be having more successes than failures and my child really should have cottoned on. At lunchtime I gave up for my daughter's self-confidence. It has taken three months to get her even close to sitting on a toilet or potty again and I can say without doubt that the Gina Ford Experience damaged her significantly. She is still not clean or dry (although I am trying again) and is now nearly three. I am consumed with feelings of being a failure and three months later, I know she still remembers the experience. If I could give this book no stars I would. Ms. Ford, with no children of her own, has a lot to answer for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working for me, 1 Aug 2004
By A Customer
My son is 4 and starting school in September and was still in nappies until 3 days ago. I have tried everything and nothing has worked. Buying this was a last resort for me however I wish I would have bought it last year! I found the book very helpful and it seemed to point out where I was going "wrong". It is full of useful tips to help you. Day 1 - all I did was follow my son around cleaning up the wee (the book suggests you take them to the toilet every 15mins but there was no way he would do this) and by the end of the day he had done 3 wees on the toilet and 8 on the floor! Day 2 - I was quite shocked, he got up and put himself on the toilet and had a wee. At lunchtime he had a wee just as he reached the toilet! And for the rest of the day he was dry. Day 3 - No puddles to clean up!!! He is so proud we are going shopping tomorrow to buy a present for being such a good boy!
Hopefully that is the end and he will go to school the same as the others. I am now going to give it a month and start on my younger son!
I would recommend this to anyone who is struggling!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for a model child - if not, save your money!, 6 Mar 2004
Daveyvegas (Bray, Co. Wicklow Ireland) - See all my reviews
I found this book too perscriptive - fine if it worked but I found that my daughter "fell off the wagon" on day 1 and there was little advice as to what to do if things didn't go according to Gina's plan. It has some good ideas (like the star chart, guidelines to when they are ready for training) but I feel that it can put too much pressure on you as a parent. She suggests on day 1 to sit your child on the potty every 15 mins for 5 to 10 minutes at a go - you would need a very placid child to go along with this! My daughter just about got the idea at 31 months but it was still hit and miss and it was just before her third birthday when the penny dropped (or her bladder was ready!) and we cracked it. If you need advice - use a search engine - there is plenty of good advice for free on the net so save your money!

2.0 out of 5 stars Discontented Big Mother, 12 April 2006
This review is from: Potty Training In One Week (Paperback)
Yes, I tried her method to toilet train my son (nearly three) on the potty. And it ended in tears for both of us. I know many mothers worship Ms Ford but I found her approach inflexible, prescriptive and unrealistic. I did my best to follow her advice to the letter but it involved putting the two of us under house arrest and no amount of bribery, love or encouragement would persuade my son to even sit on that potty. In the end he was running away from it like a scalded cat. What angers me about the Ford approach to this and all other aspects of child care is that she presents her advice as fool-proof: that means that when you fail, naturally, you feel like a fool. What is the point of a parenting manual whose strictness actually works against a mother's intuition, de-skilling her and making her mistrust her own judgement?

1.0 out of 5 stars Potty trained in one week....who is she kidding?, 21 May 2008
This review is from: Potty Training In One Week (Paperback)
You can't fault her style or clarity, but this book should come with a sanity warning. The programme probably does work but (and this is a big but) your child has to be ready and predisposed to the Gina Ford technique. We had followed a lot of her advice in Contented Baby etc and so were pretty positive about it, but, ended up having to abandon the Gina Ford way of potty training because of the tantrums and tears (and not just the baby's). To be fair, the book makes it clear you can potty-train in one week...but only if your child is ready. And there's lots of good advice on familiarising your child with what will happen and sensible comments on how parents need to prepare themselves too. But nothing really your health visitor couldn't tell you or which you couldn't get off the net. And I think there's another caveat. Your child has to have the "right" personality. My son is very wilful and we abandoned the Gina Ford technique on our third attempt. Her answer would probably be "well, then he isn't ready," but at nearly 3 he should be (our health visitor agrees and, believe me I have devoted weeks to it pretty much full time). All following the Gina Ford method has achieved (apart from making us feel bad)is a power struggle and we are now having to back-track and try to undo some of the damage. No doubt it works well for some, but they're probably the kids who would be easy to potty train in any case.

Potty Training In One Week
Potty Training In One Week by Gina Ford (Paperback - 6 April 2006)
3.50