5.0 out of 5 stars Weaning
Published on 17 Dec 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Chill out, Gina Ford!
Published on 17 Mar 2004 by S. Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Weaning, 17 Dec 2002
By A Customer
As a first time mum I had only really got to grips with feeding my baby milk when people started talking about weaning. Anxious to get it right as my baby had always been a fussy eater, I bought every book on the subject and attended a 'weaning party' at my local health centre. Advice varied greatly so I decided to follow this book as it seemed very clear and it gives you a day by day plan to follow. This is especially helpful to get you started. I also found the information on when to introduce each type of food very useful and my baby is now enjoying a wide range of fruit and vegetables. I feel confident about when to try something new and am really enjoying my baby experiencing different foods. However, I have found that he eats more than is suggested in the book for his age as he is a big baby, so don't be frightened to give more or less as Gina suggests. I really like the plan as you give the milk directly followed by solids unlike other plans which suggest mid morning milk then lunch. I found the latter very restricting as it means you end up feeding more often. This is an excellent book and it has made weaning fun rather than stressful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide - if you like detail, 5 Sep 2006
M. de Lange (UK) - See all my reviews
I found Gina Ford's Contented Little Baby Book far too rigid for my liking when my daughter was born (she is 6 months old now) and stayed well away. A more relaxed approach to life worked far better for us. That said, when it was time to introduce solids, her Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning was spot on - I really wanted a guide for exactly what, when and how much to introduce, and she certainly delivers ... which just goes to show that you do not have to be an all-singing-and-dancing Gina Ford devotee to appreciate her advice in specific areas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chill out, Gina Ford!, 17 Mar 2004
S. Barker "sallybarker2" (Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book based on all the five-star reviews. I've got a ten year old and didn't use a book to wean him, but felt less confident with my four month old daughter, so thought I'd give this a book a try. I read through it when it arrived and just felt it all too regimented and strict. I know not all babies are the same, but it was all about exact timing and not about the fun of introducing your baby to the enjoyment and delight of food. Some of the book is invaluable, yes, but the stuff about if the baby takes too much solids at l1am it will affect the next milk feed made me feel terrified of giving her too much of her cube of carrot in case I threw her whole feeding regime into turmoil! Gina Ford needs to relax just a tad, I think! Food is a pleasure of life and your baby will develop as and when they need to, this book makes it all just a bit too serious for me. As long as you give them healthy organic food in a sensible manner and not rush them, surely that is a good introduction to solids? My ten year old loves food, vegetables included, and I put this down to a relaxed attitude to healthy eating and not a strict timetable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 9 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning (Paperback)
I bought this book as I was considering weaning my baby and found it very indispensable. You need to use a little bit of common sense and discard the advice that is not for you but in total it is handy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the book for us!, 16 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning (Paperback)
I bought this book on recommendation by a friend, as I wanted a weaning plan for a 6 month old, and traditionally other weaning books focus on 4 month or 4-6 month weaning.
I suppose I should have expected any book by Gina Ford would be rigid and inflexible, and this is certainly what I got. There was no advice whatsoever about what to do should your baby display a will of their own and refuse to follow the routine, as we discovered with our 6 month old. No advice on how to actually get them to eat! I found myself floundering around and panicking that she had not achieved the 2.5 ice cubes per meal on day 3 etc etc as prescribed by Gina. So i remembered that I'm bringing up a baby, not a robot, ditched the book, plonked some toast, bananas and lumps of cheese in front of madam, and we've never looked back.
The only reason I've given it 2 stars instead of 1 is that some of the recipes may come in handy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Sep 2006
Liza (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. My son was born in 2001, I weaned him without the help of any books and it was a disaster, it was not till he was 4 that we cracked eating with him. My daughter was born last year and so as not to have a repeat performance I bought this book (we followed Gina Ford CLB for both children) and Annabel Karmel. Gina Ford's has been invaluable, our daughter who is now 13 months is a wonderful eater, she tries everything put in front of her and finishes everything (the same amount as her older brother). The recepies are very easy to follow (I am a terrible cook) and our daughter loves them, I make in bulk every 2 months or so. She now eats over half her meals with us. I still have not opened the Annabel Karmel book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginning solids for beginners, 11 Nov 2002
This is a very useful book - whether or not you follow the routines that Gina Ford recommends in her 'Contented Little Baby Book'. In this book, Gina suggests menus for every step of the weaning process and explains the thinking behind introducing new foods so that the baby's digestive system is not overloaded and any intolerances are picked up at once. My 6 month old now enjoys a range of vegetables and fruit that would put a lot of adults to shame so, personally, I feel the book has done its job.
But.... there are some buts. Firstly, preparing homemade, organic food for every meal will not be an option for everyone, although you could still follow the eating plans with commercial food. Secondly, even if you do make food at home, not all of the ingredients are easy to find. I searched every major supermarket chain and a number of healthfood shops and none of them stocked 'baby barley'. None of the people I spoke to had even heard of it.
The third and final problem with this book is the editing, which is what lost the fifth star in my rating. As with 'The Contented Little Baby Book', there are inconsistencies. They don't stop the book being useful - but as you stand there with a hungry baby, trying to double check you've got things right, you need clarity! If Gina or her publisher ever reads this, please make sure that an editor goes through the next editions of both with a fine-toothed comb.
On balance, 'The Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning' is a helpful and useful book, especially for those of us new to motherhood and looking for some guidance. Be prepared to interpret the instructions though, as they will not be practical for everyone and could be presented more clearly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Weaning Guide I've Seen, 5 Jan 2003
By A Customer
Gina Ford excels yet again. I wish this book had been available when I was weaning my first baby.
In this book Gina takes you through a step by step guide to weaning your baby, from first purees through to finger foods and beyond. The instructions, recipes and advice are easy to understand, and Gina also suggests a two-weekly menu, for each weaning stage, as a guide to get you started.
I particularly liked the chapter which goes through all the different fruit, veg, and other food types. It tells you the nutritional content, and says at what age the baby can be introduced to them. It also gives suggestions on how to prepare and cook them.
Another bonus was that I found my baby, and toddler, liked far more of the recipes in Gina's book than in some of the other leading weaning books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some useful info to use, 2 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning (Paperback)
This book is based on the GF routines in her other book so is difficult to follow if you are doing something else with your baby. Some useful info though. I have taken what she suggests and customised a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide for All the Family, 17 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning (Paperback)
This book has been an absolute revelation. Easy step by step guides as to introduce various foods and fantastic recipes that can be adapted for the whole family.Also a very handy A - Z index of foods, and great case studies for any hiccups that can happen. My Little boy (however not so little thanks to this book)eats everything put in front of him and enjoys a fantastic, healthy, varied diet... in fact a lot better diet than his parents. For a family who are worried about weaning would certainly recommend this as their guide. But as with all of Gina's books, should be used as a GUIDE. That way you cant go wrong.

ARRAY(0xa718e4e0)

The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning
The Contented Little Baby Book Of Weaning by Gina Ford (Paperback - 6 April 2006)
7.69