Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 June 2007
When my son was 6 months old, he was still waking up 3-4 times a night. Every time I put him back to bed, I couldn't get back to sleep myself, knowing that he was going to wake up again anyway...I couldn't think straight, I was so knackered. My health visitor couldn't help, my GP told me it was normal and I was beginning to feel really low.

One day a lady in the park recommended reading this book. I thought, why not, I have nothing to lose. Well, it was an eye-opening experience! After reading it - it made loads of sense - I went out and bought the Contented Little Baby Book too (I was warned off that book by loads of people, so I never touched it before 2 months ago!). That weekend I started putting him on the routines and used the advice from the sleep book and guess what? After a few nights, HE STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT! I could hardly believe it the first night, but then it just continued. I feel so stupid for listening to all the negative comments about Gina Ford books, instead of reading them myself and making my own mind up. My darling baby boy is 10 months old now and he is an outrageously happy kid! We are seriously considering having some more children now...

If you are a new mum, struggling to cope with lack of sleep or simply someone who wants to understand their baby more, then I hugely recommend you to buy this no-nonsense sensible book. It is simply fantastic!
33 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2007
Really useful book for tackling any common sleep problems in little babies and older toddlers and it has good suggestions for helping to solve them. I'd say its useful to have an idea of Gina Ford's routines suggested in her New Contented Baby Book while reading it but it is good as a stand alone book too.
on 5 May 2009
Thank god I purchased this book.

We have had some issues with our son sleeping through the night and this book has helped us tremendously. Also it gives you great information on sleep and sleep patterns and also some fantastic case studies to help you relate to your own issues.
on 14 May 2012
I bought this book because my toddler had just started waking up after almost 2 years of being a perfect sleeper (we were getting 12 hours night from early on thanks to Gina's Contented Little Baby book). There was no magic answer in these pages but many helpful tips and case studies.
on 4 January 2013
Arguments about Gina's routine's aside, if you have decided you want a routine then this book will help you get it. BUT, I take what I like about the book and common sense/instinct does the rest.
on 9 December 2013
Love this book it has helped me get my little one into a routine by understanding what was happening at different points in the day and how best to cope with them to make all our lives easier.
on 24 November 2007
I bought this book when my second daughter was 3 weeks old, she's now just turned 4 months and is sleeping through the night, settling herself for day naps and is one of the most contented little babies I have the pleasure of knowing. Gina Ford really comes in for some stick, it's such a shame, her routines are brilliant and it's obvious how much she loves babies. I think the problem is that people take her routines too literally, you have to use your common sense and tailor them to your baby - for example my daughter at 4 months is still having an early evening catnap of 30-45 minutes, she can't make it through till 7pm otherwise whereas Gina advises to drop it around three months. Her basis for good sleep is a 7 to 7 routine with babies main, most longest sleep at lunchtime. As your baby gets older you gradually reduce the length of the naps either side of the lunchtime nap until you are just left with one nap - really that;s it. You just tweak it to fit your baby's needs, some need more sleep, some less.

Thank you again Gina - you are a lifesaver!
on 6 July 2012
The book is good for any mum, new or experianced. Really helpful tips and other peoples experiances.easy to read and understand. A must have on your book shelf.
on 19 November 2007
I found this book very useful, well laid out and more to the point the advice it contained really worked. The approach is common sense and not at all about leaving babies to cry as is often misreported. I liked the case studies and found the sleeping and feeding timetables/structure lifesaving. I also found the booked well researched and feel that there is a lot of support from other sources to support Gina Ford's way of doing things. All in all I'd recommend this book to any parent and it is an invaluable companion to the Contented Little Baby Book or can be used as a stand alone resource to help the sleep deprived regain some degree of sanity!
on 28 March 2010
I can't say how much this book has helped me. It is absolutely a must-have for a new mother. If you have never read it, you might have heard something that people said she was stern and strict and the schedule was difficult to follow blabla. I think they are just purely jealous of Gina Ford because she is doing so well.

The routine is not difficult to follow. After struggling to build my own routine and fed my daughter at different time, I actually found Gina Ford's routine is the best for a baby. I used to let my daughter sleep 10 to 10 so she went to bed with me. After tea time I was already exhausted from the day but I had to play with her and carry her around. Finally I decided she should sleep earlier and I moved her bed time earlier and earlier by 15 minutes every 3 or 4 days. Then I reached the 7:40 to 7:30. She sleeps through the night and I don't have to play with her for too long after her tea. I 'd like to go for 7 to 7, but my husband works from 7 to 7 in the day. He would not be able to see our little one at all on a working day if she goes to bed at 7.

Anyway, I can't recommend more of Gina Ford. She is absolutely the godmother of this area. Buy this book and get your child a good sleeping pattern, so you can sleep through the night and be energetic in the day to play with her and take her out.