5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved our sanity!
When my son was 6 months old, he was still waking up 3-4 times a night. Every time I put him back to bed, I couldn't get back to sleep myself, knowing that he was going to wake up again anyway...I couldn't think straight, I was so knackered. My health visitor couldn't help, my GP told me it was normal and I was beginning to feel really low.

One day a lady in...
Published on 29 Jun 2007 by SammieH

3.0 out of 5 stars Take it with a pinch of salt
Whilst I agree with the reviews that slate Ford for being overly rigid and unsympathetic, if you approach this book with a bit of common sense it is quite useful. I absolutely abhor the idea of leaving a baby to cry, but the sleep timetables and feeding structures can be helpful if you use them as guidelines rather than absolutes. We found the best way to use them was...
Published on 9 May 2006 by Molly Bloom

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved our sanity!, 29 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and Toddlers (Paperback)

One day a lady in the park recommended reading this book. I thought, why not, I have nothing to lose. Well, it was an eye-opening experience! After reading it - it made loads of sense - I went out and bought the Contented Little Baby Book too (I was warned off that book by loads of people, so I never touched it before 2 months ago!). That weekend I started putting him on the routines and used the advice from the sleep book and guess what? After a few nights, HE STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT! I could hardly believe it the first night, but then it just continued. I feel so stupid for listening to all the negative comments about Gina Ford books, instead of reading them myself and making my own mind up. My darling baby boy is 10 months old now and he is an outrageously happy kid! We are seriously considering having some more children now...

If you are a new mum, struggling to cope with lack of sleep or simply someone who wants to understand their baby more, then I hugely recommend you to buy this no-nonsense sensible book. It is simply fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Usful advice on tackling sleep problems, 28 Aug 2007
Really useful book for tackling any common sleep problems in little babies and older toddlers and it has good suggestions for helping to solve them. I'd say its useful to have an idea of Gina Ford's routines suggested in her New Contented Baby Book while reading it but it is good as a stand alone book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide book, 6 Mar 2014
CK0001 "CK0001" (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Treat Gina Ford's ideas as hints and tips (as most parents do I'm sure) and you will find this a valuable resource. Her ideas can come across as strict but we adapted to suit our situation and needs and it worked perfectly. Just take out the bits that appeal to you and go with it. We realise, with hindsight, that our parenting style was creating bad sleeping habits and we quickly became too tired to break out of the cycle that we had created. This was not healthy for us or our child so Gina's book was an absolute Godsend and I don't know how we'd have survived without it. This, or any Gina Ford book, won't be for everybody of course but it's definitely been a positive influence on our lives. Our first child is is growing up fast- we could do with a Gina Ford book on contented teenagers...

5.0 out of 5 stars My baby leanred to sleep through HAPPILY, 29 April 2009
This book saved my marriage (nearly) and my job (probably). My baby was always a good little sleeper but at around 5 months she started waking in the night, never crying, just chatting to herself happily (and LOUDLY) and also very early in the morning. Following all the advice and insight in this book helped me see really quickly why she was doing it (too much sleep during the day) and guided me really carefully through the way to cut her daytime sleep back without making her unhappy and overtired, until she was sleeping better at night (as was I).
More recently, my baby decided to chuck a few screaming fits at bedtime, or in the middle of the night. I have never had to (nor wanted to) let her 'cry it out', but cuddling ehr wasn't soothign her at all (just cried louder and got even mroe tired). There are methods suggested in this book that enable the baby to know you are there, btu still be able to resettle and not develop a crying habit. Tried them after 4 days of night time crying. within 2 days the crying had stopped. And my baby was as happy as she had ever been.
Highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Straightforward Helpful Book from Gina, 13 July 2007
R. Bell (Goole, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book is very good for tackling any kind of sleep issue or association that might develop i.e. dummy, rocking and cuddling. I am not a cruel mother who doesnt cuddle her baby, but we had got to a point where very evening he was on my lap asleep and as soon as head touched the cot there were tears. I used the case studies in the book to figure out a solution. There are many case studies for babies of all ages and they are very helpful. It works very well with the contented baby book, but is helpful to any parent having sleep problems with their baby. I would reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Struggling with sleep issues...here's your solution!, 17 Aug 2007
Tracy Roth-Rotsas "aussiecatwoman" (Limassol, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
I followed the CLB routine for my first child and she went into it perfectly, sleeping through from 10 weeks. I assumed my second daughter would be the same. Wrong! For 3 months I have been battling a baby that would sleep all over the place then wake up almost every hour every night. Shattered, I read this book, hoping for a miracle...and got one! After finally understanding the REM patterns of babies, and putting this information into practise, my baby was right into the CLB routine just 2 days after I read it. Why, oh why, did I not get it as soon as she was born????
A perfect compliment to the CLB books, filled with valuable information, advice, and real life case studies. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Helpful - Excellent resource, 19 Nov 2007
I found this book very useful, well laid out and more to the point the advice it contained really worked. The approach is common sense and not at all about leaving babies to cry as is often misreported. I liked the case studies and found the sleeping and feeding timetables/structure lifesaving. I also found the booked well researched and feel that there is a lot of support from other sources to support Gina Ford's way of doing things. All in all I'd recommend this book to any parent and it is an invaluable companion to the Contented Little Baby Book or can be used as a stand alone resource to help the sleep deprived regain some degree of sanity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Gina!, 24 Nov 2007
Mrs. L. Emason "Louise" (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my second daughter was 3 weeks old, she's now just turned 4 months and is sleeping through the night, settling herself for day naps and is one of the most contented little babies I have the pleasure of knowing. Gina Ford really comes in for some stick, it's such a shame, her routines are brilliant and it's obvious how much she loves babies. I think the problem is that people take her routines too literally, you have to use your common sense and tailor them to your baby - for example my daughter at 4 months is still having an early evening catnap of 30-45 minutes, she can't make it through till 7pm otherwise whereas Gina advises to drop it around three months. Her basis for good sleep is a 7 to 7 routine with babies main, most longest sleep at lunchtime. As your baby gets older you gradually reduce the length of the naps either side of the lunchtime nap until you are just left with one nap - really that;s it. You just tweak it to fit your baby's needs, some need more sleep, some less.

Thank you again Gina - you are a lifesaver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to give background knowledge, 19 April 2013
Found the book v useful to have knowledge to inform / back up / suggest ideas to help me move forward from the rut I am currently in. Never thought I would find the book helpful as had been warned about Gina`s approach but offers sensible and realistic hope to me........

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my life and my family, 16 July 2014
We are 1st time parents. No experience at all. No family to help. Gina Ford is more useful than my mom:) I couldn't find a strength to live until I've opened this book. Thank you for my husband because he did a great part of the sleep training. It's so important to be agreed with Gina for both parents. First few days I closed my ears to do not broke my heart because of controlled crying. Now my little girl asks me to put her in a cot soon after story time. Sleeping bag is also a very important gadget for sleep training.
Also I used Gina's book about weaning which is very important because you can't train to sleep hungry baby:)
My friends said me Thank you! for recommending this book.

The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and  Toddlers
The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and Toddlers by Gina Ford (Paperback - 6 April 2006)