5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved our sanity!
When my son was 6 months old, he was still waking up 3-4 times a night. Every time I put him back to bed, I couldn't get back to sleep myself, knowing that he was going to wake up again anyway...I couldn't think straight, I was so knackered. My health visitor couldn't help, my GP told me it was normal and I was beginning to feel really low.

One day a lady in...
Published on 29 Jun. 2007 by SammieH

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't buy this book!
What an awful book, I wish I'd never purchased it is the most upsetting, controversial book I have read. I do not agree with this style of parenting.

Published 4 months ago by Jane Bean

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved our sanity!, 29 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and Toddlers (Paperback)

One day a lady in the park recommended reading this book. I thought, why not, I have nothing to lose. Well, it was an eye-opening experience! After reading it - it made loads of sense - I went out and bought the Contented Little Baby Book too (I was warned off that book by loads of people, so I never touched it before 2 months ago!). That weekend I started putting him on the routines and used the advice from the sleep book and guess what? After a few nights, HE STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT! I could hardly believe it the first night, but then it just continued. I feel so stupid for listening to all the negative comments about Gina Ford books, instead of reading them myself and making my own mind up. My darling baby boy is 10 months old now and he is an outrageously happy kid! We are seriously considering having some more children now...

If you are a new mum, struggling to cope with lack of sleep or simply someone who wants to understand their baby more, then I hugely recommend you to buy this no-nonsense sensible book. It is simply fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Usful advice on tackling sleep problems, 28 Aug. 2007
Really useful book for tackling any common sleep problems in little babies and older toddlers and it has good suggestions for helping to solve them. I'd say its useful to have an idea of Gina Ford's routines suggested in her New Contented Baby Book while reading it but it is good as a stand alone book too.

4.0 out of 5 stars take what you need from it, 17 Sept. 2011
Mrs. LH Scott Thompson (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
so im a first time mum, breastfeeding, a bit of a hippy and I've read the reviews of this book. My friends call Gina ford the baby Hitler due to the strict routines, so why did i buy this book?

well i bought 3 differing books for 3 differing views on the subject:
this one obviously
Elizabeth pantleys no cry sleep solution
The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night: Foreword by William Sears, M.D.
and dr marc weissbluths healthy sleep habits happy child
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child: A step-by-step programme for a good night's sleep

I bought these books when my daughter was about 3 weeks old, she would not stop screaming! I'm talking 14 hrs continuous screaming unless on the breast. how exhausting. I was convinced it was something i was doing wrong with her sleep patterns. It turns out a little later that it wasn't to do with her sleep but reflux disorder. (thanks to Ina mays book for helping me recognise the symptoms)
Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding.

these 3 books have many similarities in advice but also a lot of differences. I don't agree with Gina fords crying it out method or the very strict routines, but as a new mum i had no idea what a routine should look like, or what a feeding pattern through out the day should look like.

My daughters sleep habits have vastly improved with the recognition of drowsy signs, and implementing a loose Gina for routine. I didn't really put my daughter into the Gina for routine for newborns, she did it herself. at about 4 weeks old my daughter started roughly following the Gina ford routine (but only in the morning) as set out in the book all by herself.
Can i get my daughter (now 6 weeks) to go to bed at 7 pm? can i heck. Its just not happening, slowly but surely her bedtime has come forward from midnight to 9 pm (as from last night) but according to one of the other books (dr marc healthy sleep habits) newborns will have a later bedtime due to lack of melatonin in their bodies until they are 6 weeks old. So as i said I've took a bit from this book and bit from that book to suit my child and her needs. My daughter has more feeds than is outlined by Gina ford BUT i have no problem producing enough milk as i have been following ginas advice on expressing milk.

every child is different, some advice may not be to your style of parenting and also medical issues (in our case reflux) may make you change your mind on certain things you will and wont allow your child to have (i.e dummies, i was intent on not giving my daughter a dummy and you guessed it Gina ford and lactation consultants tell you not to. BUT both the pediatrican and dr marcs book recommended it for refluxy babies as it helps to soothe relfux. After 14 hrs of crying you will try anything. I've been very careful not to overuse the dummuy though)
needs. My daughter has more feeds than is outlined by gina ford BUT i have no problem producing enough milk as i have been following ginas advice on expressing milk.

so all in all an ok book that may not be suited to everyone but gives you a guide as to what a normal routine should look like.
I documented the whole natural birth and crazy sleep deprived experience on my blog: cakeinmyface on wordpress if anyone is interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Struggling with sleep issues...here's your solution!, 17 Aug. 2007
Tracy Roth-Rotsas "aussiecatwoman" (Limassol, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
I followed the CLB routine for my first child and she went into it perfectly, sleeping through from 10 weeks. I assumed my second daughter would be the same. Wrong! For 3 months I have been battling a baby that would sleep all over the place then wake up almost every hour every night. Shattered, I read this book, hoping for a miracle...and got one! After finally understanding the REM patterns of babies, and putting this information into practise, my baby was right into the CLB routine just 2 days after I read it. Why, oh why, did I not get it as soon as she was born????
A perfect compliment to the CLB books, filled with valuable information, advice, and real life case studies. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't buy this book!, 4 Nov. 2014

I brought it because a friend had lent me The New Contented Baby Book (great for establishing a routine but only for over 4 months old), the sleep advise completely contradicts what is written in the The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies & Toddlers. It is like it is written by two different people. The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies & Toddlers says to let your baby 'cry it out' but the The New Contented Baby Book says not to leave your baby to cry for more than 10 minutes!

I would recommend The New Contented Baby Book to use as a guide for establishing a route but only as a guide. I don't think I'd recommend waking a baby during the day unless they'd slept for over two hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 10 Oct. 2009
G. Stanhope - See all my reviews
This book was very helpfull. I have a 6 month old who was still not sleeping throuth the night and waking 1-2 hours. After reading the book i gave one of the methods a go and after 3 nights she was sleeping 12 hours! I couldn't believe how easy it was. She is now 7 months old and still sleeps 10-12 hours each night.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to babies' and toddlers' sleeping!, 22 April 2009
R. Turner (uk) - See all my reviews
This is a comprehensive and insightful guide to the sleeping needs of babies and toddlers and I would highly recommend it whether you want to gain a greater understanding of babies' sleep ready for when your baby is born or if your little one has sleep issues that need solving. My toddler is in a great routine thanks to this book and the contented little baby book by the same author! It answers all the questions you are ever likely to ask with regards to sleep. You will be giving your baby a very great gift in helping them to learn to settle on their own and get great quality sleep and it will leave everyone feeling much happier. Too often people seem to accept that a baby = sleepless nights for many years to come because "That's what babies do," but not babies who have followed this advice . Hard work is inevitable in establishing a good routine but that work is made easier with the advice from this book and the others in the series.

It discusses in depth the sleep patterns of babies so that with understanding you can structure your baby's sleep to ensure they don't get overtired or have too much sleep in the day meaning they are up all night. I think that this is what makes this book so great - it doesn't just say do this or try that - it explains why you should try this or that. There are chapter various different ages from newborn to 3 with case studies of children the author has worked with and there is a chapter on methods for solving sleep issues - with different suggested methods appropriate for different ages. The methods used are well-researched. They will not damage your child in my belief (as I see some reviewers think) - the methods used are accepted by other leading professionals and referenced in the book. I would have no hesitation in employing the sleep training methods if I needed to - so far following the advice has meant that we have never had to resort to them!

I bought this book alongside the contented little baby book, and gaining a more in depth understanding of sleep patterns has enabled me to avoid sleep issues. My baby was quite ill with reflux and had a spell in hospital when he was 6 months but we quickly re-established his sleep when he came home by using the advice in the book - it gave me the confidence to know that what I was doing was right and for the best. A year later he still sleeps 12 hours at night and well in the daytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had this book 14 years ago !:( - absolutely brilliant!!! :), 5 Aug. 2008
I have just read this book and the Contented Toddler Years and I have only one thing to say to parents of kids and new parents-to-be 'get this book and it was save you losing your sanity' and actually enjoy having kids! I live with in laws and a large extended family and yes some of their advice helped when I had my children but the advice and info given in the book makes you understand children as opposed to dealing with children's problems. Gina is thorough and is NOT AT all heartless at the advice that she gives. I have heard negative reviews about her but what annoys me is parents that over pamper their kids in terms of rearing them. Gina instills discipline with love and assertiveness that allows the child's real personality to shine through. All kids are good - whatever their age but it is the method of rearing them that either puts them in path of success or down the path of problems that our society is suffering from today.

Back to the book....I have a teenager, an 8 year old and a 2.5 year old and I can honestly say that in three days I have got my little son sleep trained and boy did he have sleep issues. Get this book and read it - forget what other people say...after all it is your children that can benefit from it. I am keeping this book for my daughter when she has kids! You have nothing to lose but sleep if you don't!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for us, takes time..., 26 Jan. 2014
This book saved my sanity! Although it took a lot longer to work than the book states, we persevered with the sleep routine and my baby began sleeping through the night for 12 hours after 6 weeks of following Ford's techniques. She's a stubborn, strong willed baby and we caved in a couple of times before comitting to follow everything to the letter. I am having my second baby in two months and will definitely be referring back to this book! A must-have for sleep deprived mummies and daddies!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips if desparate, 12 May 2009
I have read both this book and The Contented Toddler and think they are both well worth a read - especially of you have become as desparate as i was!

I have still yet to find advice on leaving a baby to cry for hours and neglect them. Her advice is give them 10 minutes or so to see if they settle themselves - advice which lots of people give ie. don't rush in at the first whimper!!!! Yes there are rountines to help you structure your day - ideas for times for meals and naps for different ages. Most people i know have the same-ish meal and sleep times so whats the problem?? Her routines are flexible and not set in stone and there are lots of case studies to show how she has helped various families and their different sleep associations.

My toddler is now sleeping through, having less early wakings and eating much better after taking her advice for a couple of week. We've waited 14 months for this :-) Perhaps a lot is common sense but when you are so sleep deprived it's good to take a step back and have a read to re-focus yourself.

The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and  Toddlers
The Complete Sleep Guide For Contented Babies and Toddlers by Gina Ford (Paperback - 6 April 2006)