Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2006
This is a year in the life of self confessed sex fiend Abby Lee. Although non fiction, I agree with the previous reviewer; I don't believe it wasn't embellished along the way. If her sex life is really that busy, I don't know how she had the time to work/write her diary/eat etc. However if she has made some of it up, her imagination is impressive.

Having said that, I found it an easy, captivating and entertaining read which made me laugh out loud in a few places, plus I learned quite a few things! I think men might find it a useful insight into the female psyche regarding sex as well as doubtless enjoying the descriptions of her antics.

The diary is interspersed with useful 'guide' sections for both men and women. These I thought were particularly funny, rather than instructive. Her philosophising, particularly regarding the differences between men and women, was perhaps the most enjoyable part of the book for me. Also, as a woman myself, I applaud her for being open about topics that other writers and womens' magazines shy away from. She is certainly a font of knowledge and opinion and I can see a career as a sex therapist beckoning.

I've only given it three stars because, as a book, I found I was getting tired of it towards the end. I think her writing style and subject matter is far better suited to the format of the blog, with its links and interactions, which I think is very good. I'd recommend reading some of that before buying this book.
on 14 February 2011
I loved this book & gobbled it up in a few days.

Very honest, intimate way of writing which immediately pulls you in and makes you intrigued to find out what will happen.

Then the storyline with blog boy pulls you along even more.

And the different incidents that happen to her are funny, intriguing, and -dare i say - rather voyeuristic.

It's also very sexy.

A nice change from the norm chick lit books, and refreshing to see that yes, women do love sex equally as much as men.
on 14 March 2010
girl with a one track mind is the most honest, brave and amazing book i have read. i laughed, cried and identified with 'abby'. i was left feeling as if i knew her then realised it was actually me i knew. its weird reading a book and feeling at the end as if you have actually made a new friend. i went straight out and bought her 2nd book 'girl with a one track mind exposed'. thank you 'abby' for sharing your thoughts, feelings and experiences. this book is truly fabulous.
on 3 August 2006
What a pleasant suprise, OK (and yes I am man), I don't normally read what I would consider a traditional 'chick' book but this one came highly recommended from one of my best friends.

Abby is set to transfer her fame from the Internet (where the content of this book was first published) to the written word. She is funny, open and honest about her life as a self proclaimed 'sex fiend'. This book started out life as a Web Log (blog) detailing Abby's life and the things she got up to.

I challenge anyone not find laugh out loud moments whilst reading this book as well as some very embaressing moments when you read them in the middle of a crowded commuter train (I have never tried so hard to cover up what I was reading as I did with this book).

Read this book as a man and you get a very graphic view of the modern female psyche (and to my next girlfriend, you have Abby to blame for the things I did last night !).

PS Also visit her on-line blog site and get a head start on volume 2 in the series - already I am hooked.......
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2007
I found this book to be well written, entertaining, intelligent and honest.

If you have a high sex drive or just intrigued to get inside the mind of a girl who does - then read this. Personally I found it great to read that someone feels (and sometimes acts!) the same as I do - and I'm sure there are many, many women out there who agree.

I am saddened and shocked (hmmm, ok, saddened- not shocked) that there are people reading this and then labelling the author a 'slag' or 'whore'. I do not think there is enough space in this short review to adequately explain how much that infuriates me.
on 13 April 2007
I cannot believe that people are rating this book badly.... They're taking it all far too seriously! It's a great book, a real page turner, funny, naughty, makes your girly bits tingle and well worth a read.

I'm sure when she wrote it, it wasn't intended to then receive peoples opinions as to whether she's a "slag" or not!! Grow up! We're not at school now!

An independent, strong minded woman that's probably scaring the pants of most men (those being the ones who've yet to discover the female orgasm!!).

I say, buy this book!!

It was recommended to me by a male friend, and we're still quoting pages to each other!
on 14 June 2016
I began with a fair degree of anticipation. It didn't last long. After a few pages I was flicking through to get to the 'good' bits, but very quickly I found myself flicking through just so I could use the book to stoke my coal fire because I couldn't be bothered to go and get more coal and had also ran out of wood. It burned quite well and didn't leave much residue. I count myself lucky. I found the book outside a charity shop and picked it up for free. I can only assume that someone had dropped it on the way out. If I had paid for the book I would have been sorely and righteously mad at myself. This type of crap just depresses the hell out of me and makes me despise humanity even more than I do already. I can't even stir up the motivation to write a decent critique.
on 13 September 2006
This is Brigitte Jones Diary how it should have been done! I found it both exciting and really sweet too, although I don't think for one minute that even a small minority of women actually get up to the kind of fun and games she has done. I also don't doubt that many more would love to if they had her guts!

I know a few women who have read it and enjoyed it, I just found myself intrigued and laughing a lot, sometimes a few tears too! Well worth a read and an eye opener for us men!
on 23 November 2006
I was so excited about getting this book. I have read Abby's blog for ages and thought that a book form might be eye opening to say the least. The problem is that the blog, as it is read in small doses, is OK (coffee break passing the time type of thing). The book, however, is too much. The writing style is appalling, the subject matter repetitive, and in fact the main character comes across as a Psychiatrist's wet dream. And that is no compliment. I was so disappointed. I don't thinik a book has disappointed me more in the past couple of years.
on 28 February 2013
This was a quick, funny read. As you would expect there is a lot of description of and discussion of sex (the other aspects of Abby's life are barely touched on, which is fair enough as the novel is about sex). This book gave me an interesting insight into sexual politics from the female point of view.

This book was a quick, easy read and not overly thought provoking. It was pretty much exactly what I expected, yet it was the authors wit which kept the writing from becoming dull rather than me thinking it was really hot (although she does seem attractive). This GSOH lifts the novel into what you could call a "good read" and stops it being merely average.