5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldnt build without this book
Published on 5 Sep 2009 by Mayur Karson Odedra

3.0 out of 5 stars out of date on many aspects needs updating
Out of date on many aspects Mr Snell needs to find the time to publish a new or revised edition.
Published 6 months ago by Paul Fairbrother

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldnt build without this book, 5 Sep 2009
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
Initially I was put off buying this book by reading the review by Rick Hughes. It was only on further investigation that I realized that review was referring to a book published five years before this one and also was by another author called Murry Amour! Luckily I persevered and spent a happy hour reading this book whilst browsing in a bookshop and found I was unable to put it down.

Having read it from cover to cover several times I have found the style to be like having a chat with a very knowledgeable friend who is able to answer every question that you may come across during a self build project or extension. I particularly liked the fact I could refer back to certain pages or experiences that the writer himself had faced or were included in case studies and have the questions I had answered.

With every aspect of a project covered in detail and also chapters relating to the management of a successful build, I would highly recommend this book to anyone considering a self build, extension or passing interest in building.

I went from a nervous renovator of a single one bedroom flat to a professional developer of sites with multiple executive detached houses, some worth in excess of a million pounds. I would not have achieved this success without this book and I still occasionally refer to it when I need to check I'm following the right path to complete my projects.

This book has been invaluable to my success and I haven't hesitated to recommend it to anyone I know who is about to embark on a self build.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 26 Sep 2009
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
A very easy read that covers all the basics. I used it as a starting point to decide that i did want to build a house and then to decide which aspects i wanted to do myself and which ones i would hand to professionals or tradesmen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Self-Build starter text, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
In 2006 I was interested in building my own home but I didn't know where to start. Building Your Own Home enabled me to understand the choices available to me, the pros and cons of each decision and the potential pitfalls at each stage of the self-build process. I read several similar titles but this was the easiest to read and was most thorough. It includes useful tools (e.g. project planner), check lists (e.g. for plot assessment) and real world examples. It is not a prescriptive text or a building manual. It is a starter text whose strength is that it gives a novice vital structure at the beginning of their self-build education; it enables them to better understand the choices available to them (masonary build, timber frame or something else?) and provides a platform for further research. By the end of the year (2009) I will have moved into my self-build home and the guidance contained within Building Your Own Home is a key element in me achieving my goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars invaluable, 4 Sep 2009
Mr. Bruce Bendall (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
Being someone supposedly "in the know" I have to say I found Building your own home a very useful, not to say invaluable, reference book, giving clear advice about all aspects of the self build process. It offers a surprising amount of information to even the most seasoned builder as it guides the complete novice through the potential pitfalls that many fall into. Well recommended to anyone even thinking about a major build project or extension!

4.0 out of 5 stars A friend for building your own home, 2 Sep 2009
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
A book that cuts through all the problems of building your own home, or in our case
an extension.
The book has 'lists of tasks' for all the trades. With this at hand it gives you a clear outline of what is expected of each trade, and this in turn can help you get costings and schedules in place for work commencement.
The project planners within the book are a clear example of the expected time to be taken and what can be expected within the time frames given.
The section titled, 'The Example House' is a fantastic guide as to the breakdown of costs, as far as I can see this can be used indefinitely, where the labour costs have been given, this can be altered according to your location and the materials can easily be cross referenced with today's cost at a local builders merchants.

All in all a great guide. and will surely save you the cost of it's purchase AND MORE..

5.0 out of 5 stars The Self builders Bible 18th Edition, 9 Nov 2007
Mr. J. J. Riley "JosephR" (Hoddesdon uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
I have read the new 18th edition , of which has been completetly revised, updated & expanded from early editions to 462 pages . Any one who considers self build needs good information at the Pre-planning stage, of which david snell is an acknowledged expert. Contains valuable information to any one thinking of starting a self build, renovation, conversion & extension project . Full of real life case studies and good examples in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mortgage Free, 4 Sep 2009
Paul Killoran (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
If you are serious about self building then you need to read this book. You have to be well armed with information and know where to get answers. I was lucky enough to meet David Snell who did a plot finder for me. My wife and I are now mortgage free after one self build. Thanks Mr Snell

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, invaluable!, 25 Feb 2014
Colin JONES "ColinSJones" (Harpenden, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
This book was recommended reading from a Self Build course we attended. It covers every aspect of building your own home from finding a plot and budgeting to actual construction. It's not like a novel, that you can pick up and read from cover to cover, but relevant chapters should be read before starting each new phase of your building project, we did exactly that and the advice it contains was always invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for self builders, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Building Your Own Home 18th Edition (Paperback)
Some of the info is a bit out of date, but the general stuff is a goldmine of info. I recommend it highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars out of date on many aspects needs updating, 8 Feb 2014
Paul Fairbrother "TREKnTRAIL" (Aviemore) - See all my reviews

Building Your Own Home 18th Edition
Building Your Own Home 18th Edition by David Snell (Paperback - 2 Mar 2006)
17.68