Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

1,383
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2014
My daughter is now 16 months and bought this book when she was 7 weeks old.

I found it full of practical information like what's the time limit to apply for child benefit, when vaccinations are due, when to see a doctor etc. This, to me, was very reassuring as, as a first time parent, I panicked about anything.
It was also very useful to read what to expect from my baby in terms of sleep, nappies, feeds. Remember this is for the average baby, so if you're baby doesn't follow what is written there is nothing wrong; whilst my baby followed somewhat the sleep guide, she was way ahead in feeds for example. I felt the author took time to explain this and never once made me feel inadequate or judged.

I can't understand the 1 star reviews, they all concentrate on 2 pages in the entire book, forgetting the multitude of gentle sleep training methods found in every chapter and even repeated here and there. I applied these very successfully. The CIO is only mentioned as a last resort and, whilst I do no agree with it before 6 months, it does give an insight as to what to expect and what's the worst that can happen. I think this gives the book a very balanced feel, trying to appeal to parents with all sorts of parenting styles.
There is also talk of both breastfeeding and bottle feeding in every chapter, again giving it a balanced and non-judgemental feel; I do not understand how someone expects to be told how many ounces a baby should breastfeed. There is mention though on how many feeds you should expect from your baby (bf or formula fed). There is talk in every chapter about breastfeeding issues specific for that week as well as bottle-feeding issues. I should mention that I breastfed until week 15, so been on both sides of the argument. The only thing I can imagine is that the reviewers only read the headings and never the content.

As for weaning, the author acknowledges not everyone can wait until 6 months and provides a guide to weaning, if doing it early. Again, this is a balanced view. There is no talk of BLW, as this is done usually after 6 months.

Another thing I also liked about this book is the "what happens to mum" bit in every chapter, which again I found reassuring and attentive, as no other baby books pay attention to mum's transformation after birth.
on 5 March 2015
I am a qualified (secondary) teacher and I have used this book a lot with my first born and recommended to my friends. I have absolutely no idea why some people would give it such poor reviews... it is extremely well researched, written by a pediatrician, balanced, informative, reassuring and the weaning program at the back is the BEST I have found in all the books I have read so far. Yes it mentions control crying but does not present it as the panacea, just a method amongst many others to help parents who are really struggling with babies still waking up a lot post 6 months. I have now bought the toddler follow up book by the same author and it is equally good.
on 14 October 2014
My daughter loved this book. Definitely the most useful out of all the "baby" books she was given. She read and read it and bought it as presents for friends that had babies. Highly recommended.
on 5 January 2015
Ignore the "readers" reviews below - this book is excellent, a real life saver. Funny how all of the "reviews" were posted on or around the same day - hmmmmm - I smell a smear campaign.

I used this book with my first baby (who is now a happy, loving 3.5yr old and not damaged emotionally or otherwise!) and am back to buy it again as my next is due in 2 weeks. Practical, non-biased advice that is non-judgmental and genuinely helpful. Recommended by a friend (who is a midwife) and passed around the group of moms (hence me needing another copy).
on 12 October 2014
First of all please ignore all the one star reviews which have only appeared within the last month. If you have read the book you will recognise that THESE REVIEWERS HAVE OBVIOUSLY NOT READ THE BOOK. They are taking one paragraph completely out of context.

I bought this book in February because it was one of the top baby books on Amazon and I bought the top 4 at the time. This book was by far the best mainly due to it's easy to follow layout and sound advice. The way it is broken down into weeks allows parents to delve into the appropriate sections as needed. New parents will know finding time to sit down to read dense text is next to impossible so the easily accessible language also helps.

It gives detailed pros and cons to such issues as swaddling, breastfeeding and indeed the contentious controlled crying, which by the way is only talked about as a method of last resort after months of no one in the house getting any sleep what so ever and therefore the least bad alternative. Controlled crying is a thing, to not have a section in the book dealing with it would be to leave out what could be valuable information and have an incomplete book. I don't know why there is a witch hunt against this particular book but then again the review section of Amazon can be a strange place :)
on 28 November 2011
I bumped into Gina Ford Contented baby book when I was 6 months pregnant and after that read several other books. Now my baby being 11 weeks, I thought I could share my experience and thoughts of several books I have read, so will copy/paste into the sections for those other books as well.

First of all, all babies are really different, so there is no 1 single routine/book that will suit everybody, plus the most important thing it needs to suit the parents. And also parents can make up their own routines to suit their way of life without constantly checking against what suits others. I, obviously, only have experience of my one baby, so surely not all of it will apply to all other babies...

Gina Ford "The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting"

I am generally a very organised person and when I read Gina Ford and even heard negative feedback I was extremely positive and thought of implementing the system from the second week (first two to go with the flow). However, not only very quickly I understood that my baby would not follow any of those schedules but also that I did NOT WANT those schedules any more. I only felt stressed every time I tried to follow some advice to put Ada into a routine and nothing worked, so I eventually (around week 5-6) said to myself that I would completely drop all of that as I am a happier person without them, plus my baby seems to be getting into her own pattern by herself. Daddy fully supported both decisions every time and we both agreed that dropping would be better.

By week 8 my little one (LO) started sleeping 6-7 hours straight after her bath, then would wake up for a feed, eat 8-15 minutes and then would get back to sleep for another 4 hours making it a manageable night. Then there are growth spurts, etc but the trend is already clear. She refuses to take a bottle of expressed milk (I am exclusively breastfeeding) and eats too little for a dream feed from a breast so I am not doing it as yet, however I am confident that we will manage to put her to sleep after bath time around 8 pm, then dream feed around 10:30-11 pm and then sleep for the night, we just need to be patient.

So sleep can be handled, what is important is
* to feed a lot during the day, so that your baby is not hungry at night
* have nap times (plus baby brain develops while they are sleeping)
* and for my baby having lots of fun in a bath using exercises from Waterbabies DVD makes her actually tired, she is hungry, eats well and falls asleep for the night

So I am doing the bath time not 5 minutes as per Gina Ford but 15-20 and with exercises, then massaging her already in a calmer environment. Exercises would not suit all parents even though they are proven to be very beneficial for babies' development.

One controversial advice from Gina Ford is to avoid eye contact and not to cuddle your baby. Well, until you become a parent it is difficult to explain what it is to have your baby on your hands, to wish her happiness and wanting to do everything to make her feel better, secure and see her smile in her dreams' Sometimes from week 8 (from the book "Your Baby Week By Week " which is excellent and I will cover it below; and it did happen to us as well) babies can make a small quick cry at night and settle themselves, sometimes they would cry but would not want to eat and would just want a cuddle. So I sometimes around 5 am wake up to my baby crying in her cot in a separate room, pick up in my arms, cuddle for 1 minute and she gets back into her peaceful sleep, and I definitely don't miss a chance to kiss her as well' So avoiding eye contact is just ridiculous, if a baby is not sleepy, there is nothing you can do to make her fall asleep, just like for adults, try to calm her down, feed, caress her face/hair, this all is very soothing and she will eventually get tired but will be a happy baby and you will be a happy parent.

Another thing is a cot. We never had our baby in our bed and wanted to move her to her own room and cot as soon as we felt confident enough, it happened around week 5. I also bought a Samsung video monitor for that (which has a wonderful function of switching off sound and it turns on only when baby cries or makes sudden noise, this is helpful because babies make little noises during their sleep and when you have her in a Moses basket or even cot next to your bed, you will almost certainly not sleep at all). So again, it depends on the parents, some want to have their babies in the same room for many months, for us Gina's advice to move out was definitely a good one. Plus, Ada learned quickly to sleep in there on her own and settle herself at night.

Some thoughts regarding black-outs (putting baby to sleep during the day and at night in a completely black room with no possibility of light to go through). I am sure there will be babies who would not sleep at all with natural or artificial lights on. At the same time I heard a few times that those babies brought up with Gina Ford book struggle to sleep when in unfamiliar environment/at friends' or grandparents where you would not have the same black out conditions. Plus, there is some research that tells that babies need to be exposed to daylight to sleep and develop better. Also, if you start from the beginning, from the first week when babies sleep almost all the time NOT to tip-toe but have them sleep in their Moses basket in the middle of the household activities/TV, then you will have less problems later on as babies get used to sleep with some noise and would not need perfectly calm environment to sleep. Though, we do try to keep it quiet for the time when Ada is falling asleep for the night as sudden sharp noise can wake up anybody'

Also, to wake up or not to wake up a baby? There is some research that baby brain develops while sleeping, plus do YOU like to be awaken by somebody or something, like alarm? Still I will sometimes wake her up if I can see that she has been sleeping for 2.5 hours already and it is getting closer to 6 pm. However, I choose to wait another 10 minutes or so and only wake her up when she is in REM (rapid eye movement, like adults, this is shallow sleep and you can be easily awaken, plus this is when you see your dreams) stage of her dream.

And ensuring that a baby does not sleep more than 3.5 hours during the day is meaningless, as long as your baby gets enough food during the day, she will sleep at night. Also after some activities, like Waterbabies classes (I also go to their classes once a week) babies are literally exhausted so need to sleep more, so she sleeps more during the day (waking up when she is hungry) and more peacefully at night.

Another ridiculous advice is to keep the baby on one breast for 20 minutes, then switch to the second for another 20 minutes. First of all babies make pauses, so sometimes a feed of say 30 minutes can last an hour with some breaks in between. Then, what matters when to switch is not 20 minutes but if you have no more milk left, plus you can try breast compression to increase the flow so baby does not get frustrated/tired of slow flow and this way you ensure to give your baby precious fatter hind milk. But what is more important is that scheduled feeding is the right way if you want to decrease your milk supply and eventually stop. Breasts are never actually emptied and they fill up with milk based on the demands of your LO. So if you put her "on a diet" for an extra hour, then your body will not produce more milk as baby missed a chance to show that she wants more, plus during growth spurts baby can eat as often as every hour, that is not taken into account in the schedules...Again if you formula feed, then there is no problem with breastmilk production.

Also there actually a dangerous advice, again with regards to breastfeeding. Breastfeeding should not hurt if latched on properly but the first week WILL HURT, and when your milk comes in on day 3 and your breasts are ready to explode, the last thing you need to do is to start pumping (as Gina Ford suggests). The least you stimulate the breasts, the less painful it will be, the quicker the adjustment of required amount of milk will take place and you will avoid getting mastitis. (My advice is to get Lansinoh gel from the start, this will help against cracked nipples and makes it less painful to feed...You can express manually just a small but right before feeding your baby, that is fine.)

For those interested to learn more about breastfeeding and get many questions answered, this link is the best I have seen so far (from Canada). [...]

So, I would advise to read it alongside with other books to find out if this is want suits you and your partner, get some basic understanding of possible routine but don't force yourself, your baby will get into a routine without Gina Ford, and it is just nature...

Tracy Hogg "The Baby Whisperer..."
This book is extremely difficult to read and I even never finished it, read half of it and was struggling throughout. There are lots of repetitions, no structure so if you even want to find a specific section, you would struggle.

For my baby girl the routine did not work at all. She learned quickly on her own to settle herself, so I saw no problem with the fact that sometimes she could fall asleep after her feed. Sometimes she does not sleep at all the whole day and even when I take her out in a pram, it takes at least 40 minutes before she can fall asleep; on other times she sleeps almost the whole day waking up just for feeds, which makes me think that she is going through a growth spurt every two weeks' So following advice from Tracy Hogg that after a feed make sure your baby is awake for at least 5 minutes (as otherwise babies will have feeding-sleeping association and would not sleep without being fed) for me is useless.

I found useful pages 109-115 to understand the difference between wind, reflux and colic and what to do in each of those situations. Those were the only pages I referred to for help since my baby birth. Fortunately I noted those pages while reading the book as otherwise it is almost impossible to find unless to go through the entire book again.

Also there are some things of what the author calls "accidental parenting", those are good to know if you find them in the book. For that reason I never rocked my baby after the bath but it took me several weeks before she learned to fall asleep on her own, however since then it is like magic, I feed, burp and can walk out of the room, she may suck her hand a bit, fuss for a minute and then be in the deep sleep. Again, those tips may work for some people, just would be easier to read if it was more structured...

I also found as a useful advice to change a nappy in between the same feed. Babies fall asleep while feeding, so starting to change a nappy helps to wake them up from this booze and to get back to eating.

Andrea Grace's Gentle Sleep Solutions: Teach Yourself by Andrea Grace &
The Sleep Book for Tired Parents: Help for Solving Children's Sleep Problems by Rebecca Huntley and Kathleen Kerr

These books explains the nature of sleep and different ways to help baby fall asleep, pretty basic in my view, I never opened both of them after having read. Plus sleep on its own is never separated from feeding/activities/breathing fresh air that happen during the day.

Regarding controlled crying, not sure who would actually want to use this method after having read this article...[...]

Your Baby Week By Week: The ultimate guide to caring for your new baby by Dr Caroline Fertleman, Simone Cave

This book is really brilliant and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is easy to read, structured week by week and has highlights for when to see a doctor, what to expect and what kind of activities you can start doing at around what time to progress the development of your child, and legalities for the UK.

I initially started reading it right before the birth of my baby and got to week 7, where the authors say this is as early as you can get to start outing your into a routine. My first reaction (wanting to follow Gina Ford) was it just can't be true, as according to Gina by week 5 you can get everything sorted and baby sleeping long spells at night. However, my experience shows that what authors describe is the closest to the reality (mine at least). My little Ada develops a little bit in advance for some items, but for others is right on the spot. Plus they cover all the basics as well regarding bed time routines, using/not using dummies/putting baby into the cot, etc. I read for several weeks in advance and choose when to start certain things based on my LO, her development and how she feels.

And yes, the first several weeks you will be better off by taking your baby with you for the dinner/evening time as they would not fall asleep immediately. I used to sit in the dark for 2-3 hours after the bath waiting for my baby to fall asleep and she would not until actually tired ( I avoided rocking as explained above). Maybe it would have been just easier to follow advice of the authors and enjoy the evening time with my baby for those few weeks.

So I started really appreciating this book by week 6 or 7, reread the previous chapters and agreed that it was very close to what I experienced, so since then this is my only book that I keep close by and read several chapters in advance.

Good luck and enjoy being a parent, it is unexplainable to those not in the club happiness!!!!
44 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2014
This book was an absolute godsend when I had my two children. Wonderful, practical book, written in a way that will make most parents feel like they are not getting it all completely wrong.

I believe the bad reviews below are based on a hysterical post on a parenting forum somewhere, with everyone being directed to this site to jump on the band wagon and write a bad review - please note they are all written on the same day!

Co-sleeping until your child is a teenager is not for everyone, and some parents do feel there may be a time to allow their babies to cry a little and learn to sleep alone. This book talks through all those sorts of issues and the whole way through seems to offer a balanced, non-accusatory view on the various issues parents face with a new baby. Broken down into very easy to digest chapters, this book is a must have for any new parent.

So, I say ignore all the reviews bad mouthing this book and see for yourself.
on 9 October 2014
a wonderful book for new parents. very informative and divided into simple sections making it easy to find required information quickly - you don't have much time in the first few weeks and months.
I think it's awful that someone has created a smear campaign against this book claiming it promotes child abuse through crying it out. the book mentions crying it out method as it is currently popular method with some parents. the way it describes it though, with the child possibly getting sick, discourages rather than encourages trying it on your baby.
on 11 November 2014
Not sure where all the negative reviews have come from, but they were all posted within a couple of days of each other which is a bit weird. Read into that what you want I guess. Anyway, my friend bought this for me when I was getting into a complete state trying to follow Gina with my first - it became my bible for the first 6 months and helped transform me from a complete wreck (continually questioning myself about what was wrong with me, my baby, etc) into a far more relaxed first time mum, feeling more tuned into my baby and confident in relying on my instincts (which by the way was not to let him cry until he was sick... Don't recall seeing that anywhere in the book!). I have since bought it for all of my friends and family who had babies, and they in turn, have bought it for people - we all agree it's the best book on the market to help new parents through the ups and downs of early parenthood.
on 10 December 2014
This book has loads of very useful advice and give you a good guide as to where you should be at with each stage of your baby's development. An quite shocked at reading the 1star comments and it looks obvious to me that the same person has written them as they are all written around the same time and contain the same comments, sick, cruel etc
This book is not sick or cruel. It does not force you to try controlled crying but merely sets it out as an option. We did try it for my daughter and it worked wonders, she was not sick and it was not cruel - she is now 3 and tells me she loves me every day.
My new baby boy does not follow the book quite so well as he has silent reflux, a little bit more info on that condition would have been useful.