1,238 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and fair book, informative and non-judgemental - bad reviews should not put you off, they're unfair
My daughter is now 16 months and bought this book when she was 7 weeks old.

I found it full of practical information like what's the time limit to apply for child benefit, when vaccinations are due, when to see a doctor etc. This, to me, was very reassuring as, as a first time parent, I panicked about anything.
It was also very useful to read what to...
Published 6 months ago by Crista

3.0 out of 5 stars Good up to a point
Being a first time Mum I wanted a book that reassured me that I was doing things right. If you have a 'normal' baby then I'm sure this book will reassure. But who does have a normal baby?! Often the weekly advice in this book would make me worry that my baby wasn't doing something right. So I'd try changing things and end up regretting it and realising that, actually, we...
Published on 30 Jan. 2013 by GerryM

‹ Previous | 149 50 51124 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 2 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Your Baby Week By Week: The ultimate guide to caring for your new baby (Paperback)
A must for new parents! Gave us peace of mind and a real confidence boost. A few sections are a little outdated - the Family Allowance and birth registration info for example - but as a new parent you are given information about this anyway. Recommended for both new mums and dads.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for new mums!, 3 Oct. 2014
This is a really good book for any new mums who may be nervous about how to cope with a baby. It takes the worries away and you can look up each little thing that happens, and find that it's actually quite normal and see exactly what to expect at each stage. A great little book.

1.0 out of 5 stars worse book ever, 17 Sept. 2014
M. Teresa Monteiro "Te_VSC" (Guimarães, Portugal) - See all my reviews
bad bad advices. shame

2.0 out of 5 stars bought before I had my baby., 13 Mar. 2013
Although there are some nice parts to this book - like baby development and health issues I am giving it 2 stars because its just another book to scare new parents into following stupid routines.

I would say to any new parent - stop reading about these stupid routines and start listening to the baby. Books full of 'if you don't start sleep training now your child will never be able to self settle' will make you feel worried. Since this book is for 0-6 months I don't think these kind of routines are of any use for anyone. Week by week guides to how much sleep your child should be having will only make you feel bad if this isn't you.

Weaning is suggested starting at 17 weeks and from the puree perspective. At the end of the book is a strategy for controlled crying. Just some examples of how I realised this book was not for me.

I read lots of reviews about how great this book was but found it pretty useless. Don't bother with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Jun. 2011
D. Klincheva "Bond girl" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is everything I ever wanted but never got out of the other books I bought before. For a first time mom this book is briliant - it gives all the needed information in the best possible structured way - week by week. You don't have to feel lost when you search for colics and find bits and pieces of information all over the book, like I struggled with the Babycare Bible. With this book I only reed the week I'm about to start. So if you like to have structure and order, this is the perfect book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought it would be..., 29 Aug. 2009
My little bambino is only 4 weeks, however this book has provided welcome reassurance for the first month. It's quite comprehensive and covers all the main issues you will be thinking about; like feeding, nappies, sleep and baby's general development. There is also a section each week on what you can expect to be happening to Mum which I also found useful. Obviously every baby is different and as with most books, not all will apply to you and your child, but I feel reading it gives me a bit of a 'heads up' on what to expect for the next week. At times I use it as a reference for things that crop up that I had not considered. It's very easy to read, and can be done in bite-sized chunks which is handy with an unpredictable baby around! People say that there is no handbook for parenting, which is true enough, but this seems to be as near as you could get for the first few weeks of baby's life - all for a few quid! Nothing to lose really...

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do not buy, 17 Sept. 2014
I'm horrified at this advice. I'm saddened by it too.. poor babies who parents put them through this! Poor little vulnerable babies who we love dearly, but allow them to scream themselves to sleep!!! I'm cuddling my baby to sleep tonight and I will enjoy every second

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so practical, 4 Feb. 2012
N. Milatos "NMiL" (Greece) - See all my reviews
Bought this cause it was on the top sellers list for baby books. As first time parents we find this book just OK. It is not the ultimate guide is say it is. It's more of a one sided personal opinion of the author. Also when you are a new time parent, you are looking for a more straightforward troubleshooting guide. I wouldn't suggest this for unless you want a plain book to read whilst waiting to give birth. Plus, I am not from the UK and the book is more UK focused... Maybe that's why I couldn't relate...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting book. DO NOT BUY., 17 Sept. 2014
This is a disgusting book, promoting child abuse. It suggests leaving your baby to cry so hard they a sick, and then to continue to ignore them while you clean up their sick around them.
Please do not buy, read, or follow any of this.
Awful, awful, awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Abhorrent!, 17 Sept. 2014
Horrific book advocating neglect and abuse of your baby. Do not buy! Always pick your baby up when it cries. Do not leave it to vomit from crying like this book advises (and even then it says dont pick up the baby; leave it while you change the bed!) Disgusting :(

‹ Previous | 149 50 51124 | Next ›