5.0 out of 5 stars Really great book :D
Published on 18 May 2005 by Ms. M. J. Cain

3.0 out of 5 stars typical of a young man's youthful experiences
Interesting in parts but need to like julian clary to enjoy the book. A little too long in parts. But still a good read.
Published 12 months ago by Mandy Davison

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great book :D, 18 May 2005
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Hardcover)
I'd been waiting for this book ever since it was announced, and it was well worth the wait. This is an incredibly honest, entertaining autobiography by a man whose private life has generally remained private (you know, because it hasn't been all over the tabloids, generally), so you really feel like you're finding out something new about Mr. Clary. It's very well written, humourous but still manages to remain remain sensitive and endearing. I would recommend this book to anybody, it is one of the best autobiographies I've read in a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 16 May 2005
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Hardcover)
I loved this book. You get a real sense of Julian from this book which is written with real honesty and conviction.
I loved the whole passage from young boy to international star. Certainly puts events into context and leaves a feeling of sadness at points.
I don't normally read auto-biographies, but I'll certainly be looking out for more as a result of this book. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very entertaining!!, 31 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Hardcover)
I bought this book in Heathrow airport on a long haul flight to India, couldn't see anything else I was interested in reading and I am so glad I did. It is funny, sarcastic, moving and incredibly personal and I got a real sense of what Julian Clary is like beyond his stage persona. I would definitely reccommend this book to anyone who either likes or loathes him, it changed my perception of someone who I considered crass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and insightful!, 3 Aug 2007
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Paperback)
I've been interested in Clary's career since first seeing him at the Edinburgh Fringe, many years ago. Consequently, I found this book an absolute treat, devouring it in a couple of days.
Clary's glosses over or ignores some things eg what happened to Sticky Moments ( which I loved!) and how was the sitcom "Terry and Julian" received? He went into more detail than I cared for, regarding sexual activity, but I suspect that was a selling point for the book!
Overall, I gained insight into Clary's life, personality and motivation and also into the world "alternative" comedy in the '80s. This was a very enjoyable and frequently amusing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 11 Jun 2006
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Julian, and at the age of 17 this would seem quite unusual to most. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and it has become one of my favourites (I usually tend to read about Queen, and this book even beats those in my opinion).

Julian over the years has become an idol of mine, and when I saw this book in hardback in my local bookstore I simply had to get it. His life intrigues me, and he hasn't had it as easy as I always thought he had. Infact, we seem to have a few things in common!! But yes, this is a fantastic book; although a little graphic in places, so those that don't take too kindly to homosexuality or scenes of a graphic nature may not want to read this book. It personally doesn't bother me at all, but for some it may.

Anyway in conclusion this book is very, very funny and difficult to put down. I loved it. Top marks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tore through this well written book, 24 Nov 2010
SteveINtheUKok "SteveINtheUKok" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Paperback)
I'm not the worlds biggest reader, but I absolutely tore through this book.

It's so well written with just the right amounts of everything that I just could not put it down and read it within a matter of a couple of days, which is very unusual for me.

If your expecting laught, I can say that you won't be disappointed on that front but expect more as this book does deliver a wonderful insight into a wonderful comedian's life.

I've loved watching Julian on TV, thought the Lawson incident was very much blown out of proportion at the time and truly miss not seeing him more on our screens now, so this book was a nice journey to share with him back into his memories.

I see he has a new DVD out and have ordered that now as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticky Moments!, 11 April 2008
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Paperback)
This book was a really good read from beginning to end. I always thought Julian an interesting character when i was growing up. So reading this book intrigued me.

Very funny, sad, educational in ways too. A recommended read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest, 22 Feb 2013
Andrew Aldridge (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this having read Clary's brilliant Briefs Encountered which inspired me to read all his other books. Obviously I knew this was autobiography and not fiction so I'm not making a direct comparison but I certainly enjoyed the fictional work more. That's not to say this is a bad book, in fact for the most part it's very enjoyable. As other reviews have noted it is extremely honest and for that Julian deserves credit. I loved the childhood part and had a lot of identification with my own childhood which is not too surprising as we are less than a year apart in age and were both raised in middle class suburbia. The identification continued up to a point up until 20 or so as I also lived in the very same part of south London that Julian was based in for some years after leaving home, though not at the same time. For me the book starts to lose it's charm at the point that Julian finds success in that fame and wealth do not seem to make him a particularly nice person. It's certainly to his credit that he writes so honestly about this period as he's intelligent enough to know it would not come across too well to a lot of readers. (I'm not talking about the promiscuity that bothers some other reviewers - that was mostly pre fame and doesn't bother me. I'm talking about his diva like behaviour.) I'd like to think that this was a stage that has now passed since the book is a few years old. Anyway, it's still a four star book that's well written and entertaining, just not his best work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Young Mans Passage, 7 Nov 2012
J. Clare-dunbavand "Simple Minds" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
Read this on my Kindle on holiday and it was as if Julian was reading it to me. I really enjoyed the book and laughed and cried in equal quantities. Can't wait for my next holiday when I shall be buying another of Julians books. Thanks Julian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Young Man's Passage (Paperback)
If I could sum this book up in one word, I would say that it is - magnificent! But as this is a review, I shall elaborate further, with much delight. :-)

After being a fan of Mr Clary's for many years, I decided to purchase his books (yes I know, shame on me tut tut, slapped wrists, I should have done it sooner) and was mesmerised and hooked from reading the very first chapter. This particular book of four of his; 'A Young Man's Passage' (I adore his innuendo lol) is magnificent in my opinion. It is a deeply-moving read in some chapters and it is hilarious in other sections of the book also as Julian transports us on a most interesting journey throughout moments in his life, and during this wonderful journey that unfolds, we see a glimpse into the mind and heart of a very nice person as you will discover that he is so much more than a stage/tv/radio performer/comedian - or a 'National Trinket' as he cutely describes himself. He is a gifted author also. It was an absolute joy to devour every sentence that he wrote in this book, this is a work to treasure as you feel the; agonies, tears, laughter, joy, pride, courage, and many more emotions that he experienced in different stages in his life. His words capture your mind instantly as he describes quite vividly and expertly, precious moments in time that he fondly (and not so fondly) remembers in great detail.

A man of many talents, writing is another gift that he possesses in abundance. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book over the duration of just a few days (yes it is that good), and therefore here is my review of it. I cannot recommend this book highly enough to readers and fans out there, it truly IS magnificent! Oh and i'm so glad that he won Celebrity BB too, a worthy winner!

I'm eagerly anticipating spending some highly-entertaining time in his presence in the near future as I hear he's touring Britain very soon, fabulous!

I enjoyed this book so much so that I will most definately be purchasing all of his others that he has created and I am impatiently awaiting the delivery of his Lord of the Mince DVD, which shall be arriving through my letterbox sometime this week, oooh! Sometimes, it would be SO handy having a time machine wouldn't it folks!

So it's 5 stars from me for this book. He deserves it!

A Young Man's Passage
A Young Man's Passage by Julian Clary (Paperback - 1 Jun 2006)
5.59