4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable
Piers Morgan is undoubtedly smug and I have always found him rather irritating. However, this is an entertaining book and even though I was quite prejudiced against him, I found him surprisingly difficult to dislike.
Published on 24 Oct 2005 by John E. Davidson

3.0 out of 5 stars you are awful ...
.... but we like you. What a great eye opener this book is. I've never, ever liked piers morgan when I see him on television, but you have to admit that no-one knows showbusiness quite like him so you have to read this book just to read about everyone he has met, all the things he has seen etc. How can he be so indiscrete? Don't know, but it is brilliant that he is!
Published on 1 Nov 2006 by The Haywards

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 24 Oct 2005
This review is from: The Insider: The Private Diaries of a Scandalous Decade (Paperback)
The book is written in a diary format giving his perspective on the events of the last ten years (covering his time as editor of the News of the World and the Daily Mirror). It covers are Princess Diana's relationship with the media and her death; the war with Iraq (and the Mirror's strongly anti-war stance); New Labour and his relationship with Tony & Cherie Blair, Peter Mandelson and Alastair Campbell; his troubles with share dealing; his dealings with Rupert Murdoch, Kelvin McKenzie, Naomi Campbell, Jeremy Clarkson and other celebrities amongst many other topics.
Clearly his diary has been extensively edited to make it more readable but I would guess he has also taken the opportunity to portray himself in the best possible light and to make him appear almost prescient (he gives the impression that he has understood the full implications of important events almost instantly) while throwing in the odd, half-hearted attempt at self-deprecation in an attempt to make him appear more human and more likeable.
However, despite my reservations the book works; it is strangely addictive: once started it is very difficult to put down. It provides some interesting insight into events of the period together with some genuinely funny anecdotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A romping read!, 27 Oct 2005
I didn't really have any strong views on Piers Morgan before I read this book other than he was a newspaper editor who was sacked for standing his ground. After reading The Insider I now think he's a nice bloke and as normal as you're going to get for a national newspaper editor! He can tell a good story and has the good grace to realise and admit when he's behaved like a total idiot or made bad calls as an editor. He puts 'celebrities' into a totally different light and if you didn't realise the amount of spin that goes on in our everyday lives then you will after reading it. Certainly confirmed my views on Mrs Blair anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and enlightening, 24 Oct 2005
This book is, to quote the author, "hilarious." It is a fascinating and hugely entertaining portrait of the media and its 'victims' from the perspective of Piers Morgan, former editor of the Mirror. It is opinionated, tabloid in style and Iraq-obsessed by the end. However, these are not faults. If Morgan and his paper, the Mirror, were obsessed with the Iraq War, why hide the fact? It is a career memoir not a history book, after all.
Don't be put off if you have never read a tabloid paper in your life. As long as you have an interest in current affairs that won't be a problem. Instead laugh at the follies of various B-list celebs, pass judgement when Morgan complains about the invasion of his own privacy and look shocked when you realise how much time the PM and other ministers have spent wining and dining journalists. Then laugh some more.
On a final note, although this book contains a lot about celebrity scandals, it is not a shocking exposé of the lives of celebs. It is a book about the tabloid media. Also, Big Brother is only mentioned once, and scornfully at that. Jordan makes only a couple of appearances. Ditto soap 'stars', minor pop singers, glamour models et al.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into the world of journalism, 10 Mar 2005
Suze "Susie" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Prior to reading this book I had thought Piers Morgan to be very irritating, hard-faced and smug. I still think he can be smug, but rather than irritating and hard-faced,I found him to be very funny and ....human. He has a heart after all. I got angry for him when he was 'shafted' and I felt for him when he had to grovel. I loved reading about the devious goings on between staff of rival papers trying to 'scoop' each other, and about politicians, Royals, celebrities etc playing their manipulating games. I had always suspected such things went on, but Piers tells it like it is. This book opens your eyes and shows what people in the public eye are REALLY like. I laughed out loud many times at some of his tales. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It was fun and I couldn't put it down. Thanks Piers for such an entertaining read, and I apologise for ever thinking badly of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 24 Dec 2005
Like a lot of people, I saw Piers Morgan as smug and arrogant. A man more interested in selling papers than considering how much his antics affected peoples' lives. My opinion of his in this sense still hasn't changed after reading the book, however, I also see him as charming, funny and above all, quite honest (I hope) in admitting his failings, as well as being willing and ready to point out those of others.
I teach Media Studies, and I will definitely be recommending this book to my students. It gives a real insight into the workings of Fleet Street (I still call it that although it isn't Fleet Street anymore!) and how tabloids go about getting their scoops.
Fascinating reading, and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 27 April 2005
ccluck (northampton, northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I loved this book it gave me a great insight into the world of journalism which I found really compelling, I thought it was brilliantly written and I just couldnt put the book down. I also really enjoyed reading about all the different famous people especially Tony Blair I thought it was really brill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inside Piers Morgan's mind?, 14 Feb 2006
The Insider is an addictive read, providing compelling insight into newspaper editing and the role tabloids play in politics and public relations. Intriguing enough just to revisit ten years of scoops and scandals, it is most interesting to see how liberally supposed news stories get 'splashed' recklessly over tabloid covers without serious substantiation or attempt at impartiality. It also gives character to the hitherto invisible journalists behind these vitriolic, hectoring papers - often foul-mouthed, hard-drinking egomaniacs it seems - and exposing the hypocrites and sycophants in the world of celebrity. The question you have to ask yourself while reading this is whether Piers Morgan is to be trusted. The world he appears to inhabit is the same slightly dubious reality that the tabloids reflect, and Morgan is a shameless name-dropper who enjoys boasting of his relationships with Diana and Tony Blair. He seems fit to burst with smug satisfaction at doing over his rivals and is quick to point out how clever he is. He likes to think that he was, as editor of a major tabloid, one of the most powerful people in public life and politics, depicting the government as pandering to his whims. I think he overstates the case, and is perhaps a little naive, but this is no less enjoyable a read for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 7 Aug 2009
Not being a lover of our ever increasing fascination with celebrity and the pile of trashy mags being foisted at us these days eg Heat etc, I picked this up with some trepidation. As a reader of biographies I thought I'd give it a go. What can I say? I couldn't stop laughing. Have always thought of Mr Morgan as a smug git but actually found his writing both humorous and hilarious. His memoirs displayed so many of his contacts as publicity hungry (and greedy) desperados who were literally quite happy do anything for a bit air time. No doubt he had to curb a lot of what he could have written but he certainly didn't fawn over anyone in an embarassing fashion and if they got his goat he said it. Some of the book is about his relationship with politicians (Tony Blair, Alastair Campbell )which at times I found to be tedious but the rest very amusing. His descriptions of people are cringingly funny. He talks about his meetings with everyone from the Late Princess of Wales to Madonna, the part on the expolits at Marco Pierre White's 40th birthday party being probably my favourite.

I have since read Do You Know Who I Am? and enjoyed that as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ho ho! Ain't life fun?, 2 May 2005
Well, Mr Morgan has done us all a favour. I have never read the Daily Mirror, or the News of the World (the two newssheets he edited), but I'd heard about them.
Being Editor of these tabloids seems a fun job. It sounds like an endless jaunt of parties, functions with the great and the good and tittle-tattle on the phone. As for the book itself, I feel that it should be read with Jordan's autobiography. I admit that I found them both gripping. Jordan's is awful and Pier's is gossippy.
Both give an insight into the Great Britain of today. Everything is glamour and fame. From, err, 'models', to pop groups to politicians. My god, the vanity of them all! And, oh boy, do the top dogs come out badly. Amazing the importance they all attach to their own self-aggrandizement. The back-stabbing, the petty jealousies, the fighting for little advantages, the sheer nastiness of Alastair Campbell and Cherie Blair. The duplicity, the lies. Oh my god. Awful. But, like Ms Jordan's autobiography, quite enlightening.
In fact, if you read this before May 5, you'll never vote Labour again. You have been warned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and interesting, 24 Sep 2005
This volume of diaries covers ten years, starting in 1994. Piers Morgan, editor of the News of the World and then of the Mirror, gives us an insight into the often mucky world of British tabloid journalism, as well as providing a chronicle of this turbulent decade - which includes 9/11, the death of Princess Diana, the Iraq War, the rise of President Bush, the rise to power of Tony Blair's New Labour and the emergence of reality TV and the current rampant fascination with celebrities. Morgan writes straightforwardly, and there are plenty of laughs and eyebrow-raising moments. We meet, among many others, Paul Burrell, Jeremy Clarkson, Gordon Brown, Rupert Murdoch, Prince William, Cherie Blair and Mohammed Fayed, and there are lots of amusing and illuminating exchanges. Hence the four stars - this is an entertaining read. That said, Morgan, for all his occasional stabs at self-deprecation, comes across as a pretty smug character. He also has to be the most prescient man since Nostradamus; it's hard to believe there isn't a little 20/20 hindsight in operation here. And Morgan fails to mention the relationship that has defined his life in the last few years, despite frequent mentions of his family and even his village cricket team. Still, this is a very enjoyable insight into the culture of modern newspapers. Highly recommended to budding newshounds or addicts of current affairs.

The Insider: The Private Diaries of a Scandalous Decade
The Insider: The Private Diaries of a Scandalous Decade by Piers Morgan (Paperback - 8 Sep 2005)