5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read it 20 years ago!
Published on 19 Jan 2007 by Dandi Hays

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but a bit simple
This is one of those books that is good, but simple and very american. There are exercises such as repeating sentences to oneself, which get a bit annoying. Probably quite good as your first self-help book. Read the Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck first.
Published on 10 Sep 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read it 20 years ago!, 19 Jan 2007
This review is from: Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: How to Turn Your Fear and Indecision into Confidence and Action (Paperback)
I had heard of this book often enough, but never read it. As they say when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear. If you are really struggling with your life this book will give you heart, if you have been working on yourself it will remind you of all that you have learnt and prompt you to keep it up. So what is it all about? Firstly, it points out that everybody gets fearful, but that some people rise to the challenges they face more positively than others and so succeed in their lives, while others just seem to shrink, becoming more and more overwhelmed by everything. This book shows you how to turn your thoughts around to the positive, to switch off your inner nag and just get on with life. It isn't corny, it isn't gimmicky, but it is truly uplifting and calming, and it works. Last night my dishwasher broke and rather than get into a stew about finding the time to get it repaired and the expense etc as I would have done I just remembered ' I'll handle it' and got it sorted. This is a fairly trivial example, but those of us who are prone to worry and anxiety, are easily overwound by the most mundane things, so it is so good to have some tools to get life into the right perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent view on handling fear, 12 Mar 2003
Amazon Customer "Alexander Kjerulf" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is about the fears that we all have in our lives to some degree. Fear of failing. Fear of succeeding. Fear of decisions. Fear of aging, of loss or of helplessness.
The books basic premise is, that your aim should not be to get rid of your fears. You should feel your fear, but not let it stop you from doing things you really want to do.
The book describes three levels of fear. The first level is the actual event that you fear - say losing you job. The second level is the deeper fear, triggered by the first level - eg. rejection (if being fired would make you feel rejected). Beneath that on the third level there's only one fear: The fear that you won't be able to cope. If you knew in advance that you could take it, there would be nothing to be afraid of. So all fear reduces to fear of not being able to cope.
This is interesting, because this means that the best way to handle your fear, isn't to make your life safer - it's to increase your abilities, or your faith in your abilities. The more you know you can handle, the less reason there is to fear.
This point is illustrated with several stories of people who have diminished their lives time and again, to keep safe. This doesn't reduce fear, quite the contrary, these people lived in perpetual fear. When some catastrophic event interfered with their reduced existence (say the death of a spouse), some of these people found that they were forced to reconnect with life, and that they could cope. And this reduced their fear.
The book also emphasizes positivity as a way to reduce fear. The book argues that you need to constantly train your positive thinking, or you'll revert to negative thinking.
There's also an excellent chapter on decision making, which argues that many of us see a decision making process mostly in the light of what we'll lose or risk in each alternative before us. To reduce the fear (or discomfort) of making a decision, we should realize that all options are good, and that no mater what we choose, it's still up to us to make it work.
The book contains many illustrative stories and exercises you can try yourself. I found it informative, entertaining and thought-provoking, and I recommend this book to anyone interested in the mechanisms that hold people back from growth and change.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing read., 19 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This is the sort of book that friends recommend saying things like, "It changed my life!". This was how I came to read 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway'. I was at a very low ebb when a friend suggested I read it, and I will always be grateful to her. Since I read the book, I've recommended it to at least one other friend whose life has changed drastically as a result. I hope that it will change your life for the better too.
The basic message Susan Jeffers is putting across is that the big fear underlying all the little fears we have is 'I won't be able to handle it if ... happens'. She gently explores fears, and encourages you to accept that fear is OK, perfectly normal, and despite the fear, you CAN handle it! So often our fears prevent us from moving on but we can overcome them and learn to listen to our 'Higher Self', rather than that nagging, criticising little voice most of us have as a constant companion.
I first read it 6 months ago, but this is the sort of book that you keep picking up as life throws things at you. I only have to find the chapter that goes with my current situation and I can find the strength to deal with it.
There is so much in this book that a review can scarcely do it justice - I chose to write this review because I would like others to get the benefit from the book that I did.
After reading 'Feel the Fear...' I also read another book by Susan Jeffers, 'End the Struggle and Dance with Life'. I would say that the two complement each other perfectly, and have definitely lead me to a substantial change in my attitude to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift beyond all measure, 7 Feb 2007
Fear is such a big word. Isn't it amazing how four little letters making up a tiny little word can have enough impact to paralyze us into non-action?

If you are anything like me, i.e. human - I imagine that for years the voice inside your head has been telling you - "You can't do it because..." then suddenly you receive a gift beyond all measure - you are fortunate enough to discover Susan Jeffers and her astonishing book "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" Then, if you are anything like me, after reading it, your jaw drops, you realize you have been deluding yourself all this time and you start to know that "You can do it because..."

What happened? Where did the shift begin? It began with dropping an apostrophe and a "t". Changing a "can't" into a "can".

Adopting Susan Jeffers wonderful affirmation "I'll handle it" is an enormous step in the right direction. We all postpone action and wait for the right time to do something and that is one of the biggest reasons we get nowhere fast - you know the one; postponing action normally leads to not bothering at all! Then we concoct all manner of excuses (or justified reasons as we let ourselves believe) for why we haven't taken action, in order to make ourselves right.

Think back to when you first learnt to ride a bicycle - when someone was clinging to your shoulder you had enormous fear and didn't really want to be let free. Then suddenly, you were free, riding the bike on your own and the fear vanished, the elation was tremendous and off you went alone. Then, you fell, hurt yourself and back came the fear. Do you give up or do you get back on and try again? If someone whispered the words "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" you might summon the courage to get straight back to it - if you let your mind take over you could easily persuade yourself that it was too bigger risk, you might get hurt - no I think I'll give bicycles a miss.

See how easy it is to realize the truth - fear is always going to be there, you can't eliminate it; you simply need to have faith and trust that you can do it; you can achieve what you want to and if you don't - is it really the end of the world? You could try something else!

Here is a super excerpt from the book:

"Pushing through fear is less frightening than living with the underlying fear that comes from a feeling of helplessness"

If you try something and fail that is far better than not trying at all and then wondering "What if..." Trying is part of life, so is fear; the great people of the world didn't become great by allowing fear to stop them and they don't have any more resistance to fear than anyone else, they simply felt the fear and did it anyway!

Mother Teresa once said "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle"

Susan Jeffers goes a stage further and tells us why and how.

I thoroughly recommend this book to you and if you have any doubts that it will help you, try the affirmation "I'll handle it" even if only for a day and see what a change it brings to your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars For life's lost moments, 29 Aug 2001
My best friend had just committed suicide, my abusive girlfriend (suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder) and I had separated under the ugliest of circumstances, I was being sued, and if that was enough to cope with, my house was repossessed by the building society. I had always been a sanguine, and although I positively hate the expression, happy-go-lucky kind of guy. All of a sudden these 'life events' hit me from all directions and sent me spinning off into an unfamiliar dimension.
I lost the plot for a while and all areas of my life suffered immensely. I was finding it difficult to locate a simple philosophy that might enable me to gain some control over my life. It was quite be accident that I came across this book. I saw it peeping out of a shop window as I headed to work. My first impression of the book judging by the title was that it was another American self-help book, designed to help lardy-arsed Yanks get to grips with their obesity, or something of a familiar vein. I was feeling particularly cynical and almost didn't bother buying it, dismissing it as a crutch for emotionally weak people. I think my inner-voice cried out and pleaded with me to try something, whatever it was. I was desperate; I was close to the edge and had often considered a more 'permanent' solution for all of my problems.
I had nothing less to lose and was feeling pretty sorry for myself before I started to read. If there ever was a book that changed my life it was this one. I think that I had to hit the low that I was did to subsequently be able to appreciate life for what it is and how it can be. This book basically teaches us that we are all responsible for our lives and that it is only a matter of applying a consistent, and moreover healthy/productive, attitude.
I am now in total control of my life and this book was the catalyst that gave me an essential boost in the right direction. My personal life, business and general outlook on life have changed for the better and I now look forward to all of the challenges that life might present. It really was a great help from the first page. Give it a whirl, you to will benefit from realising that you can handle anything in life, and once you cross that bridge there's no looking back (apart from when one is writing the occasional book review.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing., 24 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This is a marvellous piece of work and should be on the national curriculum, it could save the NHS a fortune in counselling
Prepare to become a fully finctioning "grown up" for the first time.
Bravo Susan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Transform your outlook on life., 20 July 2003
By A Customer
Reading a self help book had never really entered my mind until recently experiencing a personal loss. Feel the Fear and Do it anyway has totally transformed my thinking. An excellent book with many practical tools you can use to help you on your journey through life turning negative experiences into positive ones and enriching yours and others lives. Interesting, informative and easy to relate to I'd recommend this book to anyone looking to improve their life for whatever reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers, 17 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This book is a must for anyone who has lost their way in some shape or form. I have struggled with anxiety and panic attacks and although I am not through the woods yet - this book enables you to reach parts in your mind that you had forgotten were there. Her self-help guides can keep you in tune on a daily basis and her wording helps you realise that it is ok to feel this way and accept the fears you have before facing them. I have read 2 of her books and plan to get the collection and read them for as long as it takes - even when times are good. Thank goodness for people like Susan, she tackles areas we are all too afraid to talk about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful stuff, 11 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Unlike many of the reviewers, I wasn't at rock bottom when I read this book. I was, however, unhappy with my career and I had let it affect other areas of my life so that I generally felt dissatisfied and depressed. A friend mentioned "Feel the Fear" to me and I thought I'd give it a go. The interesting thing is that I didn't really think of myself as "afraid" of anything before I read the book. Then I realised that fear of failure had actually affected my life and career quite substantially - I just didn't commit 100% to anything for fear of it failing, I always kept myself a little detached from big decisions or projects which involved me striking out on my own. Well the first step in fixing a problem is to realise it's there in the first place! I can't say yet whether Susan Jeffers has changed my life, but I have bought the companion book "Feel the Fear and Beyond" and am working through the exercises in it right now. And I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the outcome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 31 Dec 2006
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've read quite a few self help books and this is up there with the best. American books on this subject have many things in common: you have to change your thinking, you have to be positive, you have to acknowledge the part you play in creating your problems.

I particularly like Jeffers's thoughts on making choices. We tend to get bogged down thinking there are good and bad decisions. That can lead to making no decisions at all. When in fact when we can see that decisions just change situations and if we have the confidence that we can 'handle things'there should be nothing to fear, what's the hold up? She's also good on paybacks - what are the benefits that we get out of an unsatisfactory situation?

Useful ideas, well-expressed.