on 28 June 2011
Good read. It helps you understand the way you think in basic non flashy terms. When you next start to think that way the alarm bells ring and the identified thinking comes immediately to mind, so you can change it to a healthier way of thinking. It helped me understand my husbands thinking too, which has always baffled me up to now!
on 8 January 2015
One of the most useful books I've ever read. The central principle of CBT is simple and effective. Sufferers of GAD, PTSD, OCD and other anxiety disorders have brains that report unreliably on reality. (You can't get that job because you're incompetent. Your boyfriend left you because you're ugly and useless and you'll never find another.) These negative thoughts cause a negative emotional response, and this inhibits living a rich, healthy life.

CBT primarily involves the disputation of these negative thoughts. (You CAN get that job. You're experienced and hard-working. You CAN find another boyfriend. The fact that one relationship broke up doesn't tell you anything about what'll happen in a new relationship.)

I've employed these principles in my life over the past ten days and it's made a remarkable difference. My negativity is vastly reduced. I dispute the negative reports that my brain offers on reality, and have learnt that I'm a thousand times more capable of living well than my anxious brain led me to believe.

Please investigate CBT even if you don't buy this book. It's helped me and it can help others. I finally feel able to live my life after many years of self-hatred, anxiety and bad-temper.
on 21 July 2012
Great book, everything well explained with lots of examples. Would definitely recommend it to everyone who is looking to change their life through the way of thinking.
on 23 October 2011
Good introduction to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

This book contains some really practical tools that will help you, if you invest the time and effort to use them.

Written very clearly with little jargon, this is a great find.
on 8 November 2011
I was interested in learning about CBT and used the reviews on amazon to make my decision on which book to buy. This got great reviews and after reading and trying some of the exercises I can honestly say it is well written and easy to understand, definatley buy this book if you want to understand and try CBT
on 25 June 2012
I went through a bit of a rough time after the birth of my daughter and i went through a depressive episode in my life. I was given all types of anti- depressents to try but for me I felt this wasn't really addressing my problems of how and more importantly WHY i was feeling the way i was. I tried counselling which was very helpful but i only got 6 hours and my negative feeling returned. I had heard about cbt and came accross this book and it is fantastic. Since i have started reading this book I am asking myself questions and challenging my negative thinking.
I think it is something that needs to be worked on. I try and make sure that I apply the theories and strategies to everyday life that have been learned from the book for it to be effective as repetition is key as they say. 100% recommended
on 21 February 2014
Excellent. Gave some really good practical advice on how to challenge negative thoughts and emotions. I thought the Socratic questioning section was particularly useful for getting things into perspective. I would recommend this book to anyone fed up of constant worry and anxiety.
on 21 May 2011
To find a higher level of personal peace and happiness, I've for some time now attempted to search for the causal link between life's events and emotional distress/unhappiness. To achieve my goal, I've explored the religious route (christianity)and found most of the answers to how I could become a better person at dealing with how I react to life's events - and therefore become a much happier person. However, I still felt something was missing until, following research on Amazon, I stumbled upon this title!

Before I bought this book I knew nothing about CBT. This book clearly demonstrates the causal link between THINKING AND BEHAVING. (I've before now believed that life's events caused how we react to things.) The book beautifully details the various types of "faulty thinking", "irrational beliefs" and the "tyranny of the shoulds" that make people unhappy and feel miserable. It then offers numerous (real-life, not half-thought) examples of the shoulds, irrational beliefs and crooked thinking, and the strategies to adopt to effectively "dispute" them. The book correctly reminds us that the AIM OF CBT is not to eliminate all upsetting emotions, but to develop the skills for looking at "events" and thinking about them differently so you can feel emotionally better. You are therefore not searching for the right answers, but looking for other ways of seeing things (including the use of socratic questionning techniques) that will make you feel better!

Don't let the size of the book's 336 pages put you off. Just "dip in and out" of it to learn the essential skills you need to deal with the issues you are faced with. The book is written in a clear, concise and accessible language.

As the author constantly reminds us in one way or another throughout the book, the "happiest people in the world are those who have the most flexible attitudes" [i.e. not holding irrational beliefs]. Above all, we're asked to remember that "there is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so". These findings now sit comfortably with my newly much-developed christian faith which, among others, has reminded us during the last two thousand years plus that "as a man [or woman] thinks so is he [or she]."

With this book, all the pieces of the "happiness and emotional well-being" puzzle have now been put in place! This is it for me - the missing link I've just been looking for!

Well done Dr Edelman. Thoroughly recommended reading for those seeking to help themselves overcome everyday stress, combat anxiety and IMPROVE THEIR LIFE AND WELL-BEING FOR EVER!
22 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2013
So interesting and not at all heavy or hard going. Lots of examples. Loved it. I am going to read for a second time as its hard to take it all in the first time.
on 25 February 2013
This book fell in to my hands and reading it and having it to go back to is fantastic x As a sufferer of Anxiety and OCD of obsessive thoughts it's has made me realise how easy it is to change your thought pattern . CBT along with EFT(another good healing treatment) as really worked for me and my Healing process . Anyone needing CBT this is a must read x