5.0 out of 5 stars A Money saving must buy
This book is excellent for new and committed money savers alike. Common sense advice that we should all know.
Martin deals with basic budgeting, and ways to save money without cutting back. He also covers how to get the most out of the big companies that are after our hard earned money.
This book is a must read for the BARGAIN HUNTER looking to save themselves...
Published on 6 April 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - could have been much better.
I found this book very disappointing. Martin Lewis is a very good financial expert and i love his site - moneysavingexpert.com but the information in the book is basically just common sense. Change your suppliers regularly to get the best deal and make them fight for your custom. Get credit cards with every company and then only use the one which is currently the cheapest...
Published on 3 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A Money saving must buy, 6 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Money Diet (Paperback)
This book is a must read for the BARGAIN HUNTER looking to save themselves a substantial amount of money

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW!, 15 Aug. 2006
This review is from: The Money Diet - revised and updated: The ultimate guide to shedding pounds off your bills and saving money on everything! (Paperback)
I asked for this book in January for my birthday (easily pleased) and am sooo glad I did! I have decluttered my finances and understand that I am in total control of the way my money goes out. It's not about being a skin flint or a cheap skate, it's about having the same lifestyle for less, leaving you more money for treats. It's also about being in control. Anyone who doesn't have anything to say about this book doesn't understand it or doesn't want to! It's a brilliant, go anywhere, starting point prior to getting hooked on the web site. Every '30 something' should have one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly helpful and PRACTICAL!, 31 Jan. 2006
Amazingly helpful book.
I estimate I am now about £3,000 per year richer due to this book. It not only has excellent ideas on the principles of money saving, but it also (and this is where several similar books fall down) is PRACTICAL. It gives you the practical tips to maximise savings, and links to the appropriate websites.
Most of the techniques given don;t require you to make any sacrifices - just pay less for the goods and services you pay for anyway.
The amount of research that has gone into this book is amazing.
It justifies its purchase price as soon as you put one thing into practice.
My advice to everyone is to BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Return on Investment, 26 April 2006
I considered myself a bit of a 'money saving expert': I've paid off £7500 of debt, increased my salary by a third, gone from zero savings and spending about £300 more than I earned each month, to £18k savings - in two years. And I work in financial services.

But even though many chapters of this book didn't apply to me, or were things I'd done already, it still got me thinking about areas where my finances were still a bit 'flabby'. Could I save money on my phone bill? Actually, no. Insurance? Yes, £40 a year. Was I being stupid by being loyal to my bank, when they only offer incentives to new customers? Yes, switching my ISA will save me another £80 a year.

Getting solvent is a long, hard slog. But an easy-to-follow book like this, with its cynicism and Carry On-style humour, helps to make it a little bit easier. And it's good for experienced money savers and newbies alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Change your routine advice, 12 Nov. 2005
Budge Burgess (Troon, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The essence of Martin Lewis's advice can be encapsulated in the old adage, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. It's easy to fritter money away once you get into the habit of simply spending it and not thinking about why and how. Lewis suggests that you get into good spending habits, that you develop a routine of questioning and assessing your spending patterns. Look for the cheapest options, look for the best buys, keep even your routine spending under review.
Change your gas, electricity, telephone and other suppliers. Keep aware of where the best deals are and don't suffer from any false loyalty - go for the best value. Change your credit cards, keep your spending under review. Look to mortgage and insurance providers - be prepared to switch to better deals.
Lewis offers advice and a health and fitness check on your finances. Think about what you're spending, evaluate whether or not each expenditure (particularly the regular ones) gives you value for money. Look for patterns in your spending - and it's not just a case of "why is it I go out on Friday night with money in my pocket but come Saturday morning it seems to have gone?" We all have bad spending habits, we're all addicted to routines, and these can become very expensive.
This is sound, well-packaged advice. Much of it is (or should be) obvious. A lot of it will make you think and question your spending habits. And it's not an expensive little volume, so you should recoup your investment very rapidly by simply adopting one or two of Lewis's ideas. Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple step by step guide to getting the best from your money, 29 April 2006
I have never seen Martin Lewis on TV, never even heard of him until I read this book, but now I am definitely a convert to the MSE ways. No-one is getting my money from me without making a real effort. The book gives a step by step guide to how to get the best deal in each financial area of your life, with a little section on being frugal generally. I dont think many people could follow this guidance & not come out well ahead. The author is a real money saving 'anorak' and you might as well take advantage of his obsession. I have saved hundreds already & I was careful with my money in the first place.

Hghly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manage your money the easy way, 28 April 2006
Stacey Woods (Poole, UK) - See all my reviews
I take issue with those reviewers who have said that all the info in this book can be found on the net for free. That, of course, is quite correct, but where would you look first? How would you begin to apply it to your life? I certainly wouldn't have a clue where to find the info or how to apply it without this book and Martin Lewis's website.

The Money Diet is a practical and common sense guide to applying money saving techniques to your life. the information is straightforward and in some cases really quite obvious, but for those of us who need a helping hand it could not be better.

Clear, concise and with touches of humour, this is not your usual money management text and I would recommend it to people who wish to shave a few quid off their bills without feeling a pinch in their way of living.

4.0 out of 5 stars Consumer Revenge, 17 Jun. 2007
There are lots of books "guaranteed" to save you £££s but Martin Lewis' book is definitely worth taking seriously. Far from being a collection of money saving tips Money Diet is a whole philosophy. It's reverse psychology, if you like, taking the tricks and ploys companies use to get us to part with our money and instead, turning them into profit for us rather than them.

The aim of the book is a lifestyle change in spending habit through awareness. Martin accepts that we have different spending styles. Are we going for the "financial blitz" or the "slow burn" ? The book goes further than to say look for the credit card with the 0% interest and switch when it expires. For some people a steady (and low) rate of interest on a card may be better, if you are unlikely to switch.

He includes: loopholes in terms and conditions, what 3 for 2, 2 for 1, indeed "free" really mean, how to "know thyself" and "forget loyalty".

The greatest weapon of all for consumer revenge though is communication. Through recommendation and sharing ideas consumers have less chance of being ripped off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Count the calories and save pounds!, 4 May 2006
S. R. Mills (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I read the first edition of this book and found the advice invaluable. I've probably saved hundreds over the past couple of years thanks to Martin, his book and his website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy and save a fortune, 1 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Money Diet (Paperback)
Buy, buy, buy and save, save, save.
This is a must for everyone. It sets out in an easy to understand way how we can cut our spending with very little efort.You don't have to change your lifestyle,but it show how a little thought can save £££££££.
The book has been written in a very easy going way,it's a fun read, not a heavy boring book. You can select to read the whole book for a total overhaul of your finances or just select any specific area eg mortgage, credit card etc.
Martin explains everything in plain terms we can all understand, even giving a list of how long it takes and degree of difficulty.
I think almost everyone could make large savings with the help of this book.
On a scale of 1 to 5 stars, (5 stars being the best) I would give the book 6.