Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 February 2006
I don’t think I can do a review of this book justice as I can’t articulate just how moving and emotional I found it to be. From page one I was hooked; Lindsay Nicholson is your average woman in every way; attempting to juggle a home, a family and a career, and this is what makes her story more terrifying; that someone’s world can be destroyed so suddenly and viciously.
This is a memoir of love and loss, of death and rebirth. Although the book is at times, VERY difficult to read, this is only because Lindsay’s story is so painful and she tells it so movingly and honestly. Reading this book puts everyday problems into perspective and stops you taking life for granted. I couldn’t put this book down and also read it in two days and when I wasn’t reading it I was thinking about it.
But don’t be put off by thinking this is just a painful and upsetting account of bereavement. Yes there are a lot of difficult pages to turn, Lindsay gives a no holds barred account of the intensity of her grief, but it’s also a memoir of strength and courage. She did flounder on the seabed for a long time, but in the end managed to float to the surface and start living again. Lindsay has spent so much of her life coping and dealing with her loss that it was truly wonderful to read of her life slowly being rebuilt by the end of the book.
This book gives hope to anyone who’s ever lost someone dear and will stay with me for a long, long time. Read it – I can guarantee you’ll gulp away tears but it will also make you appreciate everything and everyone you have around you.
on 13 August 2005
This is one of the most honest book I have ever read. From the beginning Lindsay tells of her journey without asking for pity and without trying to be someone she was not. I read most of the book through teary eyes, as I felt that I was really sharing the experiences written about. At the end I didn't come away with a huge sense of happiness and wellbeing that everything had turned out 'nicely' but I somehow felt some of the strength that Lindsay had developed. This is not a book for the newly bereaved as it is a fairly traumatic read, but excellent for someone who is trying to support a friend or family member throught the pain of loss.
on 11 January 2006
This book was recommended to me after I lost my mother and 7 year old son within a day of each other to bacterial meningitis. I could totally relate to the madness you swim in and out of whilst trying to continue each day. Lindsay gave me hope that I won't always be on the seabed. It is almost a year since my loss and I know I still have a long way to go, but Lindsay has showed me whilst I will never get over it I can still have a life.
on 23 August 2008
This book was very well written and aptly describes how bereavement/depression can temporarily paralyse you. The author was very brave in being so honest about how her temper/anger got the better of her at times, but I didn't feel she lapsed so far into self pity that she lost the reader. I can't imagine what a struggle it must have been to have to get up each morning to look after other people when all you want to do is stay beneath the duvet after losing your husband and child,(but being a parent can demand that of you) The author is one gutsy lady and was very lucky to have supportive friends and family around her. I wish her well in the future.
on 13 August 2005
An excellent account of the tramantic experiences suffered by the author and how she got through them. Easy to read (I read the whole thing in two evenings), an unforgettable story which should be read by anyone who has lost someone close.
on 8 March 2010
A brilliant book and very well written, I give it top marks and I would recommend it to everyone, even those who have not lost a loved one. We all have to travel this path sometime in our lives, Lindsey has taken us step by step through her grieving without it being a morbid or depressing read. I just could not put this book down, my housework was put on hold. Thank you Lindsey for being so open and for sharing your feelings with us.
on 24 November 2010
A very good book particularly if like me, you have lost someone very close, in my case my husband last year, and are still searching for answers, wanting to understand how other people cope with grief and how they got through it. Those who haven't suffered unbearable grief can't begin to understand the daily nightmare that it brings. Lindsay Nicholson suffered the dreadful loss of her husband but then also of her eldest daughter. There are no answers as to why something as dreadful like this should happen to someone not just once but twice and it must have taken trememdous courage to carry on. In Linday's case through her work. I have such admiration for her.
on 28 January 2013
If you are drawn to this book you are quite possibly experiencing the worst pain of your adult life. Beautifully, honestly, and compellingly written, this book can play a huge part in assuaging that pain, and clearly illustrates that seemingly overwhelming losses from which there appear to be absolutely no ways back CAN be survived. Gentle, erudite and caring, this is a book that can handhold you back to a life amongst the living that you might well have believed was way out of your reach. It's also a wonderful read as a story. Thank you Lindsay Nicholson for a book that i will never forget. A book that provided me with both comfort and hope. A book that enabled me to begin to rebuild my life.
VINE VOICEon 9 December 2012
Life rarely turns out as we planned. As my favourite 'fridge magnet puts it: "Life is all about how you handle plan B". Perhaps the greatest gift we may give our children is the love and emotional strength to weather the storms that will surely come. It was 'Living on the Seabed' that reminded me of this.
A true story of a young 'golden couple', journalists who fell in love and married, and had a baby. Only they discovered John had Leukaemia, and died at the age of 35. Lindsay was alone, pregnant with a second child, and devastated. She describes the daily struggle to survive, in every way, but especially emotionally. Just as some semblance of normality returns, her older daughter dies in the same tragic way.
Lindsay describes it as living on the sea-bed, like the little mermaid in Hans Christian Anderson's tale. She has to return to dry land, however arduous and painful, there is no alternative for her and her little daughter Hope.
After a long battle learning to live again, helped by the necessity of a new career as a single mother, Lindsay begins her life again with her face to the wind, and the warmth of the sun. An inspirational story reminding us all that whatever life may throw at us, there is always a way forward, a hope. (by Corinna Buckley)
on 9 August 2010
I have been a widow 12 years----this is the second time I have read this book--I now know that I did not lose my mind other widows have felt like I did THANK YOU