Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on 17 February 2012
This is not a bad book but ironically, it might be so important that we no longer need read it. I felt like I have already heard most of the tips here at some earlier point. A lot of it feels like common sense (things like "People like it when you are attentive and show an interest in them"), but perhaps it has become common sense because "everyone" has read this classic (much the same way that I know what happens in 1984 without ever having read it?). I guess we will never know.

But on to my main complaint: I feel like this book was written for people who are already sociable and at least moderatly outgoing. If this is the case, the tips in here will point you in the right direction and perhaps somewhat better your people skills, but I suspect that this book might not be useful to a lot of people who would consider themselves shy. You get told what to do, but not how to do it.

I suspect that most of us really know what we need to do to become more popular, sociable etc, but there are various fear mechanisms at play, hindering us. This book does not acknowledge this, it just gives you the goal without outlining the strategy.
on 24 July 2012
As a person who has a genuine interest in self-help books, I believed that I shouldn't avoid reading this "much quoted" book. Although this book contains valuable information and definetly a touchstone in its genre . it is pretty out of date, when you read this book in 2012 you will get the feeling of `Tell me something that I don't know". Another point is if you dont like getting messages through stories and prefer direct messages , this will also let you down. I highly recommend Dan Gabor's `How to start a conversation an make friends" it is more updated
on 6 December 2015
I didn't enjoy reading this book because it doesn't get to the point and just keeps talking rubbish. I have read his other books. I won't buy them again!!!
on 12 May 2013
Perhaps it is me or perhaps the book is outdated now, but I found this book to be a self worshiping and religious inferring sermon. Not for me.
on 10 August 2014
Not as great as I thought. Chimp mind management is a better read!
on 7 February 2012
I was curious about this much quoted book,but disappointed to learn it is a collection of preachy, self promoting anicdotes.
on 1 December 2009
it's a thoughtful read with some interesting philosophy, written in a rather jovial/ lighthearted way but i can't say that it helped me! i have tried some of the theories in this book like getting into the same stuff as the people you are trying to befriend and i have been met with indifference

people need totally irreconcilable solutions to their problems and i found this book patronizing at times. "wishy washy" springs to mind when trying to describe it.

just because something sells lots of copies doesn't mean it's perfect
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2016
pretty dated and states the obvious really also don't like the thrust of the book which is to say only be nice to other people for your own personal gain
on 4 February 2016
I know it is considered a classic but I just couldn't get into it. It is so old-fashioned I felt alienated from many of the examples. The basic concepts are pretty simple so I didn't feel I was learning something ground breaking.
on 16 April 2004
There's no question that the book has excellent principles and brilliant nuggets of knowledge. The main problem I found with the book was trying to sift through all of the stories. Although I appreciate some people may like reading stories or need proof and evidence that his principles are in fact true, which of course they are. Being a nonfiction fan I found it quite labourious to read through the stories necessary to extract the phenomenal principles he puts forward. So I guess to summarise his principles are excellent although I think they could have all been written on a couple of pages but then I suppose people would question them.